Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] That "I just knew..." feeling/ESP

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
No, this isn't about love.

Both myself and my Mother before me have always struggled with this. You know when you think about someone you haven't heard from in years, then within a day or two they contact you?

This kind of stuff happens all the time to me.

Remembering a song, then hearing that song a few hours later.

Now I'm a skeptic of paranormal phenomenon. I know the brain is a powerful tool that can play all kinds of tricks (consider déjà-vu) - but sometimes such coincidences occur that are so bizarre and unlikely.

Take the song example; subconsciously that song may be in my head from playing somewhere like a TV show or a store, and consequently is being repeated/discussed by others. But often there is absolutely no "logical" explanation.

Weird.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It happens all the time to me, too.

It's coincidence. You are only noticing the times when it happens, not the times when it doesn't.

When I was 14 I was making some gun powder with a mate of mine, and I said 'pass the spatula', and both together we said 'Spatula Clark'.

Spooky! Coincidence.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Your devices know you better than you know yourself

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
My guess would be that you probably think of songs and people all the time and barely register it, and certainly not commit the thought to your long term memory, unless the song or person pops up. Therefore you’re only remembering the coincidences and not the thousands of times no coincidence occurs after a random thought.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We all know so many songs and people, statistically it would be weirder if these things didn’t happen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Best story I've heard on this is one I've told here before - but when has that stopped me!

So Fangio in his Ferrari were hammering around Monte Carlo.
Unbeknownst to him there was a massive pile up, t'other side of 180 turn.
Every car ploughed into the back.
Then Fangio appeared braked early.
Crept around corner.
Picked through the wreckage.
Went onto win.

The media, esp the Italian media, went into meltdown.
'its god's will' blah blah blah.

Fangio couldn't live with that, but he also had no idea how he knew about the crash.
It stayed in the back of his mind, on repeat, for quite a while, until it finally hit him.

He's Fangio.
He's in a Farreri.
Approaching a 180 bend

&

Not one of the spectators on the bank is looking at him.

No 'gift', no ESP, no second sight.

His brain knew something was wrong - it just didn't have enough time to tell Fangio!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Both myself and my Mother before me have always struggled with this. You know when you think about someone you haven't heard from in years, then within a day or two they contact you?

Now I'm a skeptic of paranormal phenomenon. I know the brain is a powerful tool that can play all kinds of tricks (consider déjà-vu) - but sometimes such coincidences occur that are so bizarre and unlikely.

Take the song example; subconsciously that song may be in my head from playing somewhere like a TV show or a store, and consequently is being repeated/discussed by others. But often there is absolutely no "logical" explanation.

Weird.

I was thinking about a friend I have not spoken to in ages today, and then the phone rang, and it was some **** selling roof insulation. I knew it would be. I don't believe in any mysterious forces, especially not Astrology, but then that is typical of us Virgo's.

el punal

I was thinking about a friend I have not spoken to in ages today, and then the phone rang, and it was some **** selling roof insulation. I knew it would be. I don't believe in any mysterious forces, especially not Astrology, but then that is typical of us Virgo's.

At least you get to score a goal in the 119th minute. :cheers:

Russconha

Jul 8, 2012
Littlehampton
'The Improbability Principle' is a great book on this subject by David J. Hand that does a heart wrenchingly good job of deconstructing the romanticism around this topic (available on Amazon through this site). If we select 30 people at random there's a 70% chance that two will share a birthday.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Weird.

Happened to me all the time halfway through last season. Every game, I just knew we wouldn't score.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I'm sure we all do this, there is probably a name for it. You read a word and simultaneously hear somebody say the same word. It happens to me a fair bit.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Had a car accident overseas many years ago. Three days later when I rang home to tell them about it, my Mum asked 'was it Tuesday lunchtime, I knew something had happened and was waiting for you to call'.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Years ago, I was out driving my van and a tune came into my head, that song then came on the radio.
As it was ending , another came into my head and that one followed it !
This happened with 4 songs in a row, which really spooked me.
My labourer in the passenger seat was pretty impressed.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
If you wish to test if you are psychic then I suggest you buy a pack of Zener cards or probably better is to get an App from the Play Store on Zener cards. They are say five different cards perhaps a star, cross, waves, circle, square and you have to predict the next card generally you would get 5 out of 25 right by odds alone. When I tried it with my daughter we were getting five in a row right which was spooky. Anyway you might find it interesting and fun and it might open you up to other ideas.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Years ago, I was out driving my van and a tune came into my head, that song then came on the radio.
As it was ending , another came into my head and that one followed it !
This happened with 4 songs in a row, which really spooked me.
My labourer in the passenger seat was pretty impressed.

it was a CD/tape not the radio?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Had a car accident overseas many years ago. Three days later when I rang home to tell them about it, my Mum asked 'was it Tuesday lunchtime, I knew something had happened and was waiting for you to call'.

She was happy to wait three days? :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here