Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Wembley Stadium - return to Brighton after a concert

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Daughter is off to see Harry Styles at Wembley Stadium Saturday – is it possible to make the 00.02 from London Victoria, or a bit risky that you miss it?

No idea what it is like these days, but I'm assuming it can still be huge queues after a big concert.

*edit: that last train was to Portslade, noted there are later trains to Hove and then Gatwick as a last resort + 'Dad' taxi.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not sure about Wembley, but Mrs B only just made it back to the 00:02 after watching The Killers at the Emirates just over a week ago, and they were off stage at 10:30pm.

It really didn't look like she was going to make it, so I was checking out contingency plans (National Express, trains to Gatwick etc).

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Wembley gigs are a PITA to get back from. I used to go a fair amount but thankfully haven't had the inclination for a while now, and it would take something very special for me to go back there now.

For what it is worth, if you have a car, I would heartily recommend one of the driveway space rental services - there's LOADS of residents very local to the stadium and arena who participate - and do it that way. It's made a world of difference to the last half-dozen shows I've done there. Trying to get from there to central London to catch a late train is a pain, and if the act aren't swift off the stage and you can't get on an underground train quickly, the stress levels build.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wembley gigs are a PITA to get back from. I used to go a fair amount but thankfully haven't had the inclination for a while now, and it would take something very special for me to go back there now.

For what it is worth, if you have a car, I would heartily recommend one of the driveway space rental services - there's LOADS of residents very local to the stadium and arena who participate - and do it that way. It's made a world of difference to the last half-dozen shows I've done there. Trying to get from there to central London to catch a late train is a pain, and if the act aren't swift off the stage and you can't get on an underground train quickly, the stress levels build.

She doesn't drive but there is a 00.38 that goes to Haywards Heath and 01.08 that goes go to Hove, so I think that will take the stress out of having to make the 00.02.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Daughter is off to see Harry Styles at Wembley Stadium Saturday – is it possible to make the 00.02 from London Victoria, or a bit risky that you miss it?

No idea what it is like these days, but I'm assuming it can still be huge queues after a big concert.

*edit: that last train was to Portslade, noted there are later trains to Hove and then Gatwick as a last resort + 'Dad' taxi.

I think that will be quite tight, if not impossible. And having that hanging over your head during the gig isnt desirable. The trains to Gatwick run very very late. My advice is to tell her to enjoy the gig (reviews say this tour is very good), make her way to Gatwick in a leisurely manner and for you to pick her up. She has a great evening and you have brownie points banked to use at a appropriate time in the future. In my mind, everyone will be a winner.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Wembley is a PITA. For England games and 8pm kick offs I make sure I sit in the corner by Wembley way and always make the last Worthing train, but you need to move quickly, get on a metropolitan line train so it’s fast to Baker Street and then change. Jubilee has to many stops.

You can easily make it to Brighton through the night so I’d say enjoy the gig, try and make it but worst case keep an eye on Thameslink to Brighton and get a taxi / lift. May need some on your feet thinking as obviously different stations.

Or just aim for Farringdon or something and straight for Thameslink train to Brighton

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Always book a place to stay when going to London gigs. Much less stress.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Can you still crash overnight on the floor or very uncomfortable chairs in the airport terminal to get the first train out next day, or have the security stopped that now?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

This.

It was fine when I was (a lot!) younger, and the trains ran later, but nowadays it's always a hotel. In fact, we did it last week at the O2 - stayed in the adjoining Intercontinental Hotel.
Zero stress and could mooch around the concourse, post-gig, with a leisurely beer. That said, both myself and o/h tested positive for Covid yesterday, so I assume that was picked up in that there London. Oh, well.....c'est la vie.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

The only thing I’d say is at the moment london hotels are astronomical. Even hostels …. You can’t find a Premier Inn or Travelodge anywhere remotely London for less than £200 a night next weekend

I’ve got a gig I’m umming and arring about and will hold my nerve until the last minute and hope to find somewhere

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The only thing I’d say is at the moment london hotels are astronomical. Even hostels …. You can’t find a Premier Inn or Travelodge anywhere remotely London for less than £200 a night next weekend

I’ve got a gig I’m umming and arring about and will hold my nerve until the last minute and hope to find somewhere

Have you tried Hotwire?

Happy to advise a bit if it's new to you.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Have you tried Hotwire?

Happy to advise a bit if it's new to you.

I haven’t - will have a look now ! Thanks

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Leave before the last track ('Kiwi' according to Setlist FM) and use Wembley Stadium BR and she'll be fine imo. *

* Unless she's seated the opposite side of the stadium.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

There is an 01.10 service from Victoria to Brighton, that will run if they miss the 00.02

When I've come back from Gigs and Football in North London, I haven't found it an issue to not make the 00.02, if coming from Wembley I always find the Wembley Park -> Finchley Road -> Green Park -> Victoria the quickest route to get back.

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
My daughter’s doing the Sunday Harry Styles gig, her and friends booked a ‘cheap’ hotel for it, not sure of price though.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Leave Wembley at 9.30 and will make the train with ease.

I always drive up and park close to a tube station to take the hassle out of clock watching to get the last train. So many people have to leave venues like the O2 and Wembley early to make sure they can catch their trains home.

Jul 7, 2003
Can you still crash overnight on the floor or very uncomfortable chairs in the airport terminal to get the first train out next day, or have the security stopped that now?

Had to do that a few times many years ago but I think they are much tighter on that now.

My trick was always to take my car keys with me and then look at the arrivals board to find a flight that had been heavily delayed. If challenged, I would say I was picking up my parents from the flight.

Of course, back then you were reliant on Ceefax for flight updates - not sure that excuse would work in these modern times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here