Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Cooking on gas

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
In anticipation of the summer and the forthcoming UK heatwave, I recently invested in a couple of pieces of pretentious garden cooking equipment. Specifically, I went for the Charbroil Cas2Coal 440 bbq and the Ooni Koda pizza oven. Both are now fully assembled ahead of the weekend, however it’s only just dawned on me that I’ve never cooked using a gas bottle before and I haven’t got a clue what I’m doing.

Questions spring to mind such as:
  • What type of gas? Propane? Butane?
  • Where am I supposed to store the gas bottle when I’m not using it? Every other guide I read seems to alternate between “definitely not inside” and “definitely not outside”.
  • How do I circumvent killing myself and / or my family?
  • Why am I so stupid?
Thoughts and advice appreciated!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
In anticipation of the summer and the forthcoming UK heatwave, I recently invested in a couple of pieces of pretentious garden cooking equipment. Specifically, I went for the Charbroil Cas2Coal 440 bbq and the Ooni Koda pizza oven. Both are now fully assembled ahead of the weekend, however it’s only just dawned on me that I’ve never cooked using a gas bottle before and I haven’t got a clue what I’m doing.

Questions spring to mind such as:
  • What type of gas? Propane? Butane?
  • Where am I supposed to store the gas bottle when I’m not using it? Every other guide I read seems to alternate between “definitely not inside” and “definitely not outside”.
  • How do I circumvent killing myself and / or my family?
  • Why am I so stupid?
Thoughts and advice appreciated!

A man after my own heart. Instructions are for wimps, what could possibly go wrong :wink:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
1. Your barbecue is probably designed for propane, but read the manual, there are different sized apertures on the burners for different gasses to create the right gas/air mixture and flame height etc, as different gasses perform differently.
2. Store the bottle somehwere dry, eg shed or garage.
3. Read the manual.
4. I don't know, but the manufacturer of the barbecue will have produced a manual, RTFM.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
1. Your barbecue is probably designed for propane, but read the manual, there are different sized apertures on the burners for different gasses to create the right gas/air mixture and flame height etc, as different gasses perform differently.
3. Read the manual.
4. I don't know, but the manufacturer of the barbecue will have produced a manual, RTFM.

Boringly, this is probably the correct answer if you are over 17 and sober :rolleyes:

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
3. Read the manual.

Manual you say, eh? My garage is integrated so if I leave it in there, am I able to safely assume that it won’t blow us all up in the middle of the night (or day, I work from home a lot).

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
3. Read the manual.
Nah, just go for it. Where is your sense of adventure

What have you to lose?

Read the manual......

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Manual you say, eh? My garage is integrated so if I leave it in there, am I able to safely assume that it won’t blow us all up in the middle of the night (or day, I work from home a lot).

The risk is from a gas build up in the garage from a leaking bottle, so as long as your bottle isn't leaky and if the garage is a bit draughty in case it becomes leaky, it will be fine. If you open the garage door from the house and smell gas, don't switch the light on, close the door, go outside and open the garage door at the front to air it out. Bottles rarely leak unless damaged or rusty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here