Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Electric Cars

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Thinking about getting one, partly to do the right thing but also partly as I can't see any end to the fuel price inflation. Who already has one, who is thinking about getting one. What are the pros and cons of those that have one. Range and availability of power plugs seems to be the big gripes, what else?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A lot of it is about mindset. People typically don't NEED 300-400 miles of driving range, but they like to have it 'just in case'. Even if you're doing 400 miles, it's probably sensible to take a break somewhere within that, for health and safety reasons...

Owning/running an EV can mean having to think a bit more about when you DO go on longer journeys – factoring in charging times, etc. But it's relatively easy to do and you quickly work out where you can charge and how long it will take.

Having saif that, so many of the issues about EVs are not about the car, it's more the infrastructure. It's all very well the government saying 'we're going to ban ICE cars from 2030, so go and buy an electric car', but when the charging network isn't fit for purpose (sometimes availability of actual chargers, other times them just not working) it's not great. More rapid chargers are being rolled out, but it's very hit and miss, especially if you're out in the sticks.

Price is an issue – they're not cheap, but then if prices (of fuel and electricity) stay where they are, you'll be saving money, depending on how many miles you're doing.

I've often found that if someone is anti-EV, or at least a bit of a doubter, they'll throw anything to do them down. That means price, charging, driving range, the type of person who drives them, etc, etc. It's all a load of balls – they often don't like change.

Also, on the plus side, there is now loads more choice and the options are growing all the time. Very few manufacturers will launch a car without at least a hybrid option these days, with most having one eye on EVs. However, they also realise they have to keep shifting ICE stock because a lot of people aren't ready to move to EV.

There is, of course, the environmental factor, but I'm not sure everyone goes EV just because they're saving the planet...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am seriously considering a plug in Alfa Tonale Hybrid when they finally go on sale. It only does 35 miles on electric power but for most of my day to day stuff it will cover it. I am not considering an EV though because I know it would give me serious stress if I had to do a long journey or travel abroad in it. Far too many chances of things going pear shaped to make it anything but stressful on long journeys imo

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I took delivery of a plug in hybrid car 2 weeks ago. Not done a huge amount of miles in it but so far it's had one tank of fuel, the car has done 366 miles and still has a fuel range of 202 miles. Pretty much all my local trips are done on 100% electricity, it has a range of 35 miles per full charge. It gets constant top up charges while you are driving it normally, I did a 100 mile round trip last week and the mpg was just over 80, not bad for a mid-large sized car. It takes about 2-3 hours to charge it up using a homepod charger that I had installed. So far it's looking like a good decision.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I am seriously considering a plug in Alfa Tonale Hybrid when they finally go on sale. It only does 35 miles on electric power but for most of my day to day stuff it will cover it. I am not considering an EV though because I know it would give me serious stress if I had to do a long journey or travel abroad in it. Far too many chances of things going pear shaped to make it anything but stressful on long journeys imo

Mrs Zefs GIullietta is due an upgrade, we keep looking for a hybrid ( the best option IMO) The Tonale still looks a bit lardy to our eyes ( we're not Stelvio fans)

I wish they'd do a hybrid Giulia. . . . at the moment She's looking at an A class AMG! :rolleyes:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I've often found that if someone is anti-EV, or at least a bit of a doubter, they'll throw anything to do them down. That means price, charging, driving range, the type of person who drives them, etc, etc. It's all a load of ...
Price is definitely an issue. I've been driving since 1986 and have spent, in total, just over £20k on buying my 5 cars. One electric one would cost more than that and it wouldn't give me 36 years' driving. And the electric saving over petrol would get nowhere near covering the difference.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I've yet to be convinced. My extension lead is only 10 metres long so if I want to drive further than the bottom of the garden I'm a bit stuck, tbh. :shrug:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I've got an e-Golf (fully electric) and a hybrid Volvo. Getting an Audi E-tron (fully electric) once the Volvo lease is up next year. Can't really see why anyone who doesn't do regular 150 + mile journeys would want a petrol car.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've yet to be convinced. My extension lead is only 10 metres long so if I want to drive further than the bottom of the garden I'm a bit stuck, tbh. :shrug:

I'm waiting for the metal strips to go down our road.

I've got a big set of brushes fitted under my car.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Can't really see why anyone who doesn't do regular 150 + mile journeys would want a petrol car.

I hear you, It sounds like a good idea, but for the soundtrack. weber40's.jpg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Had an Auris hybrid as a company car. It didn't really do anything for me as I comfortable do 500 miles a week of which very few were using the battery.

I would consider a full electric but would have an issue charging overnight as my car is parked away from the house.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I've got an e-Golf (fully electric) and a hybrid Volvo. Getting an Audi E-tron (fully electric) once the Volvo lease is up next year. Can't really see why anyone who doesn't do regular 150 + mile journeys would want a petrol car.

True, but it's cost.

£30k+ for a new car, or approx £500 p/m for a lease

Even with the crazy petrol prices the economics still point in that direction

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
My concern is that advances in technology could make an EV purchased today outdated in, say, 3 years time with the resultant impact on depreciation and ability to sell.

What sort of advances? Battery technology isn't moving that fast to the point of the current packs being obsolete and cars haven't fundamentally changed that much – it's only the power source. Plus there will naturally be a strong used market in a few years, so I couldn't see any issues with selling one when you're done with it.

Price is definitely an issue. I've been driving since 1986 and have spent, in total, just over £20k on buying my 5 cars. One electric one would cost more than that and it wouldn't give me 36 years' driving. And the electric saving over petrol would get nowhere near covering the difference.

As above, there will be a used market for drivers/buyers such as yourself. No different from buying a used petrol- or diesel-powered car today.

And for those buying new, there isn't much discrepancy between an EV and a car with an engine in lots of lease deals. In some cases, the battery powered version can be cheaper.

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
I have a fully EV car with a range of 240 miles in the winter and 300 miles in the summer. Bear in mind driving speed, heating, lights etc have an impact on range

Only rules are:

1. Make sure you have a home charger to charge car overnight at cheaper domestic electricity rates.Don't buy a fully EV car if you can't have a home charger.
2. Plan for long journeys and identify where you can stop to use a RAPID charger. Most public chargers are not rapid and are only suitable for hybrid cars.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
True, but it's cost.

£30k+ for a new car, or approx £500 p/m for a lease

Even with the crazy petrol prices the economics still point in that direction

Clearly not everyone is going to be in the position to get a new EV right now. Those who can – a lot of fleet/business customers because of the tax advantages – will get onboard now and then the market will settle as time goes on.

Having said that, this a pretty decent deal: https://www.electriccarlease.co.uk/...tchback-115kw-se-ev-long-range-73kwh-5dr-auto

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This will be fascinating in the future, I must say. I'm starting to think about getting one: most of my journeys are 12 miles to work and back: certainly I don't often do journeys over 20 miles apart from football trips. I have the space at home for a charger, however. Would be very different if I lived in the middle of Brighton where all the parking is on-street. Where there are charging points, people with petrol or diesel cars often park in them (probably the same ones who park in disabled bays when they're not entitled to) and block them off for EV users :rolleyes:

I also wonder how all this will work with areas of very high density accommodation, such as parts of London. I know not everyone has or needs a car in such places, but if you're on the fifteenth floor of a tower block, I suppose you might reasonably wonder how on earth the infrastructure will cope if so many people need charging points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here