Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blocking immigration vans, for or against?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
A man arrested for immigration offences was released on bail after protesters gathered in south-east London on Saturday for hours to block a van he was being transported in from leaving.

Video footage posted on Twitter showed a crowd of about 200 people sitting on the ground in front of the vehicle in Peckham while another clip showed members of the public standing and shouting “let him go”.

The police were against ... (Seemed to be assulting peaceful protesters)

https://twitter.com/AvaSantina/stat...24513|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=about:srcdoc

People were for...

https://twitter.com/snb19692/status/1535684313605357571?s=20&t=-YTIJ-Gbf4eW-3mPa_A8SQ

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm trying to think of any thread here which may be some kind of template as to how this one will go.

Nope I've got nothing - I can't wait for some original, balanced thoughts from a smorgasbord of posters.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I'm trying to think of any thread here which may be some kind of template as to how this one will go.

Nope I've got nothing - I can't wait for some original, balanced thoughts from a smorgasbord of posters.

Yes. Looking forward to a stimulating exchange of considered opinions for a selection of mutually respectful intellects.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Many agree that the government's immigration policies are reprehensible but not many are willing to do anything about it. I back the protestors. Not an easy situation for the police to deal with but presumably their training doesn't involve kicking prone members of the public.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Many agree that the government's immigration policies are reprehensible but not many are willing to do anything about it. I back the protestors. Not an easy situation for the police to deal with but presumably their training doesn't involve kicking prone members of the public.

It happened in Glasgow too.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Its gonna be great, some people are going to be for and some against. We probably know who is who and what is what.

Shall we just skip to abusing each other and then let PPF scream his nonsense into the void of the Bear Pit?

Hang on is he still on here?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
question is if you believe in rule of law or mob rule. you dont have to like the law, but where next if you accept mob rule instead?

they aren't removing that particular person for giggles, there'll be a reason and doubt the mob have full facts of the matter.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
question is if you believe in rule of law or mob rule. you dont have to like the law, but where next if you accept mob rule instead?

they aren't removing that particular person for giggles, there'll be a reason and doubt the mob have full facts of the matter.

But, they do remove people “for giggles “

Do you remember Windrush?

The only way left for people to show their disagreement with this present Government is civil disobedience.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
To paraphrase Stat Bro, if you read the Daily Mail you’re probably against; if you read the Guardian you’re probably for. That’s how these questions roll isn’t it?

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
You can clearly see that the bloke on the floor is trying to get his hands around the leg of the police officer - for what reason we don't know and can only presume it would be to try and take him to the floor or worse. In that situation the other officers who can see this happening would be using any for that is legal and necessary, both of which I'd suggest it it.

I don't think the cops are trying to stop a peaceful protest. They are clearly trying to prevent the van from moving (which is an offence of obstructing the carriageway) or even worse try and get to the staff of persons being transported in it.

Whilst these twitter videos are usually accompanied with the narrative of whatever agenda suits... I rarely actually see anything particularly scandalous or alarming in them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Pit by lunchtime*

*I'm about to take the dog for a long walk on the Downs

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But, they do remove people “for giggles “

Do you remember Windrush?

The only way left for people to show their disagreement with this present Government is civil disobedience.

windrush was not for giggles. it was product of decades of mismanaged immigration and poor policy (imagine not asking people to register in the country??). immigration officers turn up because theres a transgression of law, overstaying a visa here, with police there to keep the peace. it not on a whim to target someone indiscriminately. if this was a suspected criminal or someone on bail being taken into custody would you agree with the mob rule? or do we just want a bye from laws for migrants? the question isnt about immigration, its about blocking enforcement of immigration law.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pit by lunchtime*

*I'm about to take the dog for a long walk on the Downs

If anyone can be actually bothered to write all the same stuff they've written for the past 5 years here, today, on this lovely sunny Sunday morning, then the last place this thread needs to go to is the pit.

It needs to remain as a reminder of just how pointless the whole exercise has become.

Dec 29, 2011
You can clearly see that the bloke on the floor is trying to get his hands around the leg of the police officer - for what reason we don't know and can only presume it would be to try and take him to the floor or worse. In that situation the other officers who can see this happening would be using any for that is legal and necessary, both of which I'd suggest it it.

I don't think the cops are trying to stop a peaceful protest. They are clearly trying to prevent the van from moving (which is an offence of obstructing the carriageway) or even worse try and get to the staff of persons being transported in it.

Whilst these twitter videos are usually accompanied with the narrative of whatever agenda suits... I rarely actually see anything particularly scandalous or alarming in them.

Haha, "or worse". What's the worst that can happen grabbing someone's leg? My bet is he was surprised to be found in a melee of legs and was trying to hold on to ANYTHING to avoid being badly hurt.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
windrush was not for giggles. it was product of decades of mismanaged immigration and poor policy (imagine not asking people to register in the country??). immigration officers turn up because theres a transgression of law, overstaying a visa here, with police there to keep the peace. it not on a whim to target someone indiscriminately. if this was a suspected criminal or someone on bail being taken into custody would you agree with the mob rule? or do we just want a bye from laws for migrants?

You don’t know what this guy was being arrested for, same as me.
The local people protesting his removal by Border force probably know a lot more about his personal circumstances than either of us. With the present Government’s posturing on immigration, I am willing to give the protesters the benefit of the doubt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here