Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Club v Country - World Ranking

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
After watching the first half of utter rubbish in the nations league match between England v Italy, my son said that Brighton would beat both teams and I think I agree with him, so my question is which countries could we beat? Where would we place in world rankings?

*based on all players playing for the Albion rather than their national team

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was thinking about the shift upwards in player quality at certain clubs.

ManC would beat England every time imho. Maguire, Mings and Trippier would be taken apart, as they are in league games.

Whereas the England sides up to the Venables era would’ve probably been superior to all conquering British club teams. I used to love the mouth-watering collection drawn from the clubs - Shearer, Lineker, Gazza, Beardsley, Robson, Butcher, Shilton/Banks/Clemence, Barnes, Waddle, Steven, Adams, Platt, Sansom, Neal, Cherry, Coppell, the England 1970 and 1966 squads.

I guess through a combination of a concentration of money at certain clubs, plus (controversially) are we all that just now? Especially in goal, defence and a lack of a gifted CM’er to run international games.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Most PL clubs are better than most national teams, just from a player by player perspective. Then add how much more club teams train and practice together and even in a lot of cases where the clubs players are not as good, they'd still win. Player by player England is a bit better than Brighton but if they met each other, I'd put my money on Graham and the boys.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
After watching the first half of utter rubbish in the nations league match between England v Italy, my son said that Brighton would beat both teams and I think I agree with him, so my question is which countries could we beat? Where would we place in world rankings?

*based on all players playing for the Albion rather than their national team

Had this discussion many times with people who insist the World Cup has the best teams and players. It doesn't as many top class players play for poor national sides. Added to which there's a lot of poor managers who manage national teams, ours included.

Brighton, I believe would hold their own against a lot of national teams, especially home nation ones.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Albion played an English 11 they would get stuffed by most National sides.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You think this England system would be any more than a nil each snooze fest?

Not watching but I am not a Southgate fan, he was shit as a league manager and has underachieved as an England manager with the players at his disposal. Just imo as I know plenty on here think he’s up there with the best ever England managers.

It’s all about opinions and mine are often wrong :shrug:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not watching but I am not a Southgate fan, he was shit as a league manager and has underachieved as an England manager with the players at his disposal. Just imo as I know plenty on here think he’s up there with the best ever England managers.

You're spot on this occasion

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Kids booing hahahaha

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

You’ve saved yourself 90+ minutes of your life.

An awful game, both teams have regressed hugely in 11 months, England saved by Ramsdale.

Ward-Prowse, Sterling, Grealish went on greedy, mazy runs into cul-du-sacs, hellbent on NOT passing to team-mates.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Statistically he is, but, IMO, he gets his selections wrong, and has undoubtedly been the luckiest England manager in my lifetime in terms of luck of the draw etc…

Potter is miles ahead of him, as are the majority of the top 10 club managers in this country.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Statistically he is, but, IMO, he gets his selections wrong, and has undoubtedly been the luckiest England manager in my lifetime in terms of luck of the draw etc…

Potter is miles ahead of him, as are the majority of the top 10 club managers in this country.

Nothing lasts in football.

Southgate has done far better job than expected, through loyalty to players, bringing through youth, openness with the otherwise brutal football writers so facing no media campaigns to oust him.

To me GS’s tenure may be coming to its natural end, all very stale on the pitch, very stale in ideas. Loyalty on steroids to players out of all form.

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Place Brighton into any Euro or World Cup European qualification group, and we would qualify for the finals.

But would England qualify for Europe if playing in the PL, doubtful. Best is probably a top ten finish.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Place Brighton into any Euro or World Cup European qualification group, and we would qualify for the finals.

But would England qualify for Europe if playing in the PL, doubtful. Best is probably a top ten finish.

An Everton/Manure/Villa/Newcastle defence.
A West Ham/Leeds midfield, with the worst parts of the Citeh and Chelsea midfields.
Half the Spuds forward line.

Yeah, about 10th, perhaps 5th with Kyle Walker getting us out of jail on repeat with his pace, with a fair wind.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Southgate has done far better job than expected, through loyalty to players, brining through youth, openness with the otherwise brutal football writers so facing no media campaigns to oust him.

To me GS’s tenure may be coming to its natural end, all very stale on the pitch, very stale in ideas. Loyalty on steroids to players out of all form.

Indeed. Often turns into a problem.

Van Gaal with his giant balls didnt even pick Wijnaldum to his squad due to his lack of game time in PSG... and all of a sudden all the Dutch players understand that they need to perform and be in form, or they could all end up outside the team, no matter previous merits, and it really makes them look really hungry even in these useless Nations League games.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Southgate has done far better job than expected, through loyalty to players, bringing through youth, openness with the otherwise brutal football writers so facing no media campaigns to oust him.

I thought both teams just looked tired and out of sorts tonight. The Nations League is not the joy I thought it would be. They looked like they'd had enough after a long season. Add to that a stale atmosphere, and Italy parking the bus for much of the second half, thus it ended a bland and dull affair.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Would an English team capable of playing in the Champions League ever employ Southgate?

He has the tactical nouse on a par with Steve McLaren, he just got lucky with the quality of players available to him.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I was thinking about the shift upwards in player quality at certain clubs.

ManC would beat England every time imho. Maguire, Mings and Trippier would be taken apart, as they are in league games.

Whereas the England sides up to the Venables era would’ve probably been superior to all conquering British club teams. I used to love the mouth-watering collection drawn from the clubs - Shearer, Lineker, Gazza, Beardsley, Robson, Butcher, Shilton/Banks/Clemence, Barnes, Waddle, Steven, Adams, Platt, Sansom, Neal, Cherry, Coppell, the England 1970 and 1966 squads.

I guess through a combination of a concentration of money at certain clubs, plus (controversially) are we all that just now? Especially in goal, defence and a lack of a gifted CM’er to run international games.

You forgot to mention Woods alongside Shilton & Clemence. He’d walk into today’s starting line up. We had 3 top class keepers back then. What on earth has happened?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I still think that if England were a club side they would probably beat us more often than we beat them. You've got to consider England only get together sporadically through the year and have short periods to train together and so you don't get the same cohesion and understanding a club side would who gets 5/6 weeks pre-season and then 40+ games playing together and training through a year. That England side on Saturday wasn't at full strength but one that is has an abundance of CL experience and quality (although massively short in one key area. The side that starts the WC could look like this

.....................Pickford
James, Stones, Mings, Shaw
............Phillips, Rice...........
....Sterling, Foden, Mount
................Kane

Subs:
Grealish
Abraham
Maguire
Ramsdale
Bellingham
Trent