Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classic albums that you just can’t get into

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We may have done this before, I am quite old and may have forgotten

Inspired by the 1972 album thread that some think only has a handful of great albums. Some of you don’t even need to listen to them to have an opinion which is just plain bloody weird to me :shrug:

Two spring to mind, I may be back with more

Joni Mitchell - Blue
Johnny Cash- most albums but At Folsom Prison is the one most list as his “best” album

I have tried but feck me, I can’t stand either of them :shrug:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
As with classic literature, I have never felt the need to try to enjoy something just because others say it is a classic. Same with Ballet, Opera etc, if you don't like it you don't like it. There is so much out there to enjoy without forcing yourself to enjoy things just because lots of others do. It is nothing to be ashamed of imo.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Exile on Main Street and Songs in the key of Life. I love both artists, but was bored or hated both those albums.
On a lesser level, I'm a massive Beatles fan but have never really rated Sgt Pepper

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As with classic literature, I have never felt the need to try to enjoy something just because others say it is a classic. Same with Ballet, Opera etc, if you don't like it you don't like it. There is so much out there to enjoy without forcing yourself to enjoy things just because lots of others do. It is nothing to be ashamed of imo.

Exactly.

They all did NES but I loved my Mega Drive.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
It's usually albums that are raved about, but are in reality just a bit dull. You're then seen as a heathen for having this view.

It's bad enough preferring 'The Bends' over 'OK Computer', or 'Monster' over 'Automatic for the People'. The amount of snobby comments...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
think many "classics" are either a couple of stand out tracks with better than average filler, or of their time. probably both. when you've heard them, and derivative or inspired by work, over decades hard to see what the fuss is about. even though in the month, year of their release it might have been revolutionary.

its funny when some classic is held up and you read later it was just stuff thrown together. i was raeding about one artist didnt consent to an album, it was just demo and rough studio tracks brushed up and released.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The talk of the Beatles reminds me that I find the vast majority of Abbey Road and Let it Be dull and dirge like, and I am also a Beatles fan

Harrison wrote pretty well all the stand out tracks on Abbey Road and Let it Be was just shit imo

The Wall by Roger Waters released as by Floyd left me cold too for the most part

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Yep. I gave it a moment's thought and.....well if I don't like it, how can it be 'classic'? I don't expect number of sales to serve as an index of 'classicality' either, given that the UK's biggest selling artist is Cliff ****ing Richard. The whole narrative is alien to me. I can remember being told that my preferred music (at the time, Deep Purple probably) was shit because Fragile by Yes was bigger selling than Machine Head. Ok, mate.

Yes, OK I presume that the OP has in mind things like 264 Ocean Boulevard, Hotel California, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Rubber Soul, Sticky Fingers, Fragile, Breakfast in America, Brain Salad Surgery, Lady in Red, Regatta de Blank, and Quadrophenia. So, yes, they are all shit. But, classic, my arse :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
think many "classics" are either a couple of stand out tracks with better than average filler, or of their time. probably both. when you've heard them, and derivative or inspired by work, over decades hard to see what the fuss is about. even though in the month, year of their release it might have been revolutionary.

its funny when some classic is held up and you read later it was just stuff thrown together. i was raeding about one artist didnt consent to an album, it was just demo and rough studio tracks brushed up and released.

This.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yep. I gave it a moment's thought and.....well if I don't like it, how can it be 'classic'? I don't expect number of sales to serve as an index of 'classicality' either, given that the UK's biggest selling artist is Cliff ****ing Richard. The whole narrative is alien to me. I can remember being told that my preferred music (at the time, Deep Purple probably) was shit because Fragile by Yes was bigger selling than Machine Head. Ok, mate.

Yes, OK I presume that the OP has in mind things like 264 Ocean Boulevard, Hotel California, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Rubber Soul, Sticky Fingers, Fragile, Breakfast in America, Brain Salad Surgery, Lady in Red, Regatta de Blank, and Quadrophenia. So, yes, they are all shit. But, classic, my arse :lolol:

Lady In Red, Brain Salad Surgery, Breakfast in America, Anything by Yes, Regatta de Blanc and Quadrophenia? You absolute ****!!!!

Machine Head? Never had you down as a coat throwing head banger. Next you'll be expressing love for Black Sabbath

Sales have very little to do with it imo, otherwise I'd be a massive ABBA fan (I don't mind them tbh but I have not bought a single album of theirs)

The closest to head banging music I have ever bought is Uriah Heap and Hawkwind

Last edited:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Hotel California - I think I put my view of this in one of the "unpopular opinion" threads before.

I know it's a greatest hits album but also think it's considered a classic by some (many?) : Legend by Bob Marley. I think there's an important part of my brain/soul missing that means I just don't get the appeal of reggae or Marley's music. Or maybe it was just the people around me who listened to it when it came out and suddenly started talking in ways that'd make an Arsenal fan blush.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Lady In Red, Brain Salad Surgery, Breakfast in America, Anything by Yes, Regatta de Blanc and Quadrophenia? You absolute ****!!!!

Machine Head? Never had you down as a coat throwing head banger. Next you'll be expressing love for Black Sabbath

Sales have very little to do with it imo, otherwise I'd be a massive ABBA fan (I don't mind them tbh but I have not bought a single album of theirs)

The closest to head banging music I have ever bought is Uriah Heap and Hawkwind

:lolol:

I was a massive headbanger till I was around 15. All flailing hair. Ask [MENTION=37530]monty uk[/MENTION] :wink:

Edit: yes I own 4 Sabbath records - on CD! Superb.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hotel California - I think I put my view of this in one of the "unpopular opinion" threads before.

I know it's a greatest hits album but also think it's considered a classic by some (many?) : Legend by Bob Marley. I think there's an important part of my brain/soul missing that means I just don't get the appeal of reggae or Marley's music. Or maybe it was just the people around me who listened to it when it came out and suddenly started talking in ways that'd make an Arsenal fan blush.

No cod Jamaicans among my reggae contingent, so still a big fan (mostly 1970s) reggae.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
:lolol:

I was a massive headbanger till I was around 15. All flailing hair. Ask [MENTION=37530]monty uk[/MENTION] :wink:

Edit: yes I own 4 Sabbath records - on CD! Superb.

The first four albums? Just about the finest unbroken run of genius in the metal genre, IMO.
The best rythm section on earth for a while back then.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Whilst it is subjective is could easily type out a list of numerous “classics” right now. Does it really matter if they took 5 years or 5 minutes? As many artist say, their greatest songs are the ones which just fell out of the sky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here