Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Tooth extraction before heart surgery - recommended dentist in Sussex?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Long shot but any suggestions would be helpful.

My old dad of 84 is waiting for triple heart surgery due to a worn out valve. The longer he has to wait the higher the chance of, well, mortality of course.

Partly due to covid and partly due to their normal dentist retiring he lapsed a bit with check ups. As part of the pre op stuff he needs a dental "all clear" (any infection in the mouth has connections to potential lethal infections in the heart).

Bad timing but some fillings have just fallen out :rolleyes: and now the check up he has just had the dentist said three teeth can no longer hold fillings and now three extractions are needed - but this new dental surgery (who they haven't been very happy with) can't do them and they have put a referral back to the NHS for it to be done (would normally be under local anesthetic or general but obviously with a heart op up coming it would have to be under local). That could be quite a wait even under priority.

I'm getting frustrated as while they are not minted my folks are comfortable and can probably stretch ok to private treatment for the extractions. They are just a bit old fashioned, the NHS will look after us etc etc. This really needs to be done asap so as not to delay the heart op further (it's already well over the suggest 4-8 weeks waiting list as Priority 2 that the consultant said) .

So....my question to the great and good of NSC -

Has anyone recently had tooth extractions done privately and could they recommend a dentist? (folks live in Seaford but can travel).

Sorry for the long post but any help gratefully received, cheers.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Sussex Implant Centre in Woodingdean, I’m travelling over to see them from Bexhill cause I can’t get any appointments locally. Give them a ring and I’m sure they’ll be able to help, give advice and possibly see him very quickly. They are very friendly and will explain everything before any treatment is agreed.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In terms of an appointment, what TIME are they looking for…?:fishing:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Come on, somebody out there…it’s a tap in. Not even Mark Farrington can miss this sitter…

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Strand Dental Surgery in Worthing….and the dentist Julie…excellent with treatment and extractions…I’ve experienced both at the surgery

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Depends on your NHS area/hospital but I recently had one under local and the wait wasn't very long at all - it's much longer if you need general. The hospital he is referred to should be able to tell you exactly how long he might have to wait.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You will be lucky to find an NHS dentist anywhere, let alone one with vacancies.

Extinct species round here.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I have been waiting for nearly a year now, to have 3 teeth extracted at St Richards. Although I have an NHS dentist,my bad teeth have to be done in hospital as I have to be on an external defribulator due to a heart condition.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I have been waiting for nearly a year now, to have 3 teeth extracted at St Richards. Although I have an NHS dentist,my bad teeth have to be done in hospital as I have to be on an external defribulator due to a heart condition.

Just spoken to dad again - was referred by his original dentist to one in Woodingdean, who now say they can't do it and referred him to Eastbourne hospital. Waiting to see how long it might take (considering the heart surgery was talked about for 3-4 weeks).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here