Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Eqaudor

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Looks like they are going to be booted out of the world cup.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
So Ecuador may be expelled from this year's World Cup by FIFA over claims their defender Byron Castillo falsified his birth documents and is actually Colombian, yet they are happy to host the competition in Qatar in stadiums built by slave labour with an estimated death toll of >6'500.

Crack on.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Fair enough, if Ecuador have fielded an illegible player, any points obtained with him in the team should be taken away. If Ecuador knew then they should be banned from football for 4 years.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Mentions of Italy being the potential replacement, as they were the highest ranked team that didn't qualify.

That would absolutely REEK. But then we are talking FIFA, so it would hardly send my eyebrows shooting north.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Mentions of Italy being the potential replacement, as they were the highest ranked team that didn't qualify.

That would absolutely REEK. But then we are talking FIFA, so it would hardly send my eyebrows shooting north.

Surely it would be the next placed team from the South American qualifying?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

You'd have thought so wouldn't you.

"A new report from Mundo Deportivo claims FIFA has already made its decision to kick Ecuador out after concluding its probe into the allegations and an announcement will be made in the next few days. The report also claims there is a faint hope from Italy that they might be able to take advantage of Ecuador's potential expulsion and be included in the World Cup despite being dumped out by North Macedonia in the play-offs. That might be possible if FIFA award Ecuador's place to the team with the best position in their World Rankings instead."

:shrug:

They do have TV rights to sell.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think it is a pretty cheap reason to throw a team out of the World Cup. I doubt it would even be on the table if it was one of the bigger nations.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You'd have thought so wouldn't you.

"A new report from Mundo Deportivo claims FIFA has already made its decision to kick Ecuador out after concluding its probe into the allegations and an announcement will be made in the next few days. The report also claims there is a faint hope from Italy that they might be able to take advantage of Ecuador's potential expulsion and be included in the World Cup despite being dumped out by North Macedonia in the play-offs. That might be possible if FIFA award Ecuador's place to the team with the best position in their World Rankings instead."

:shrug:

They do have TV rights to sell.

Yeah it might be a bit like "cachirules", when Mexico got banned from the 1990 World Cup most likely to help the US to qualify so that they could build up interest in the sport before the 1994 World Cup.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
In other Ecuador news I see that the $30US worth of bitcoin that they gave everyone last September, to help them get used to their new currency, has roughly halved in value.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Normally when an international side is proven to have played an ineligible player the results are overturned.

If they give 3-0 wins to the opponents in every game Castillo played in then Chile would jump to 4th in the table, Peru would have still finished 5th so it wouldn't effect their place in the playoffs against Australia.

This has happened before in qualifying for the 2018 WC when Bolivia were proven to have played an ineligible player (born in and previously represented Paraguay) and the results over turned to 3-0 wins for their opponents. Nigeria also had a result overturned for playing a suspended player in the 2018 qualifiers, but they still qualified as it didn't change their position in the table.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yeh, so 5th in South America qualifying is Peru, who are soon playing a play off, they will probably win.

6th is Colombia.

If they are booting Ecuador out then it makes sense to wait until the play off have happenned, if they win it, send Columbia, if they lose it send Peru anyway. Alternatively just send Australia who they are in the play off with.

Sending Italy makes no sense. Though luckily for them and Fifa, there is only one other European team in Ecuador's group, so they might just try it.

But yes, if this were France or Spain, this wouldn't be happenning. A points deduction would probably be carried over to the next qualifying, which is what should happen here. But I suppose the lawyers are involved.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fair enough, if Ecuador have fielded an illegible player, any points obtained with him in the team should be taken away. If Ecuador knew then they should be banned from football for 4 years.

They obviously didn't read the eligibility criteria properly then ...... perhaps they were badly smudged - or just illegible?

......or perhaps they should have just re-written the team sheet more clearly?

Last edited:

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
In other Ecuador news I see that the $30US worth of bitcoin that they gave everyone last September, to help them get used to their new currency, has roughly halved in value.

Think you're getting confused with El Salvador.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

I read that Chile will replace them. It was them that highlighted the issue.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here