Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Magpies

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
No, not Newcastle but the feathered variety. I’ve had two down the chimney in the last week. Both fought their way past the fire guard and I found the first one dead on the living room floor. The second made it to an upstairs bedroom and I managed to get it out of a window after it had left sooty marks all over the walls and ceiling. Thinking that there might be a nest in the chimney, I called a chimney sweep (not Kylie's by the way) but they are called Brush Strokes. They swept the chimney and found nothing so fitted a bird proof cowl in the offending chimney pot.

Does anyone else 3F75CC98-6B9A-4D87-9C0E-1033C7B38046.jpeghave any experience of this strange phenomenon as it’s seems very odd?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We used to live in a basement flat with an open fire. I came home from work one day with the front room door shut and the wife saying that there's a nice surprise in there.

When I opened the door there was a beautiful Magpie sat happy as Larry on the book shelves like something from Bagpuss.

After admiring it for a bit I then managed to catch it in a tea towel. Once in the tea towel and eyes covered it was calm as you like and so I walked it down the road and let it go in nearby woods.

Only time I've ever had that happen though.

Oh, in another place I lived I had a Starling come down the chimney too. Again, completely unharmed and released.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Have a friend who had a similar problem... he put a toy snake on the roof and it worked pretty well.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Ooh it’s a corner;10285237 said:
I expect Joel’s on holiday otherwise he’d have been the person to call obviously! Or Susan Stranks maybe

Beat me to it. With the Joel comment, I mean. No idea who Susan is.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don’t remember there being so many magpies around when I was a kid

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I don’t remember there being so many magpies around when I was a kid

Nor me. Think they were all occupied elsewhere back then.

When the TV series ended they then released them into the community and their numbers have increased ever since.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
No, not Newcastle but the feathered variety. I’ve had two down the chimney in the last week. Both fought their way past the fire guard and I found the first one dead on the living room floor. The second made it to an upstairs bedroom and I managed to get it out of a window after it had left sooty marks all over the walls and ceiling. Thinking that there might be a nest in the chimney, I called a chimney sweep (not Kylie's by the way) but they are called Brush Strokes. They swept the chimney and found nothing so fitted a bird proof cowl in the offending chimney pot.

Does anyone else View attachment 148694have any experience of this strange phenomenon as it’s seems very odd?

One for sorrow
Two for joy !

Think you will be ok

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
by the way that scotia on the corner has taken a battering

Oh a perfect photo to ask you a question.

If I were to lay a T&G hardwood floor, on a concrete base.
Can I take off the old skirting board (60 years old with inches of paint layered on)
Put down the wood with a few mm moving space around the edge.
Then attach new skirting boards over (not in) that gap
Thereby doing away with the need for the Scotia.

Ta muchly.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Oh a perfect photo to ask you a question.

If I were to lay a T&G hardwood floor, on a concrete base.
Can I take off the old skirting board (60 years old with inches of paint layered on)
Put down the wood with a few mm moving space around the edge.
Then attach new skirting boards over (not in) that gap
Thereby doing away with the need for the Scotia.

Ta muchly.

If you don't know the answer to that, you probably shouldn't be doing your own flooring and skirting. That said, yes

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I've watched a few of them before :lolol:

This is my favourite:

Oh, that one is brilliant😂

There’s one particular route I won’t walk with the dog in swooping season😂

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you don't know the answer to that, you probably shouldn't be doing your own flooring and skirting. That said, yes

I was going to attempt the job - i've done it before years and years ago.

The problem is I was going to do it with laminate, but every time I mention laminate someone punches me in the face.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here