Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Suit Shops in Brighton

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hoping the NSC community can assist me on this please as I'm struggling to find options online.

I'm off to the Royal meeting at Ascot next week and am going in the Royal Enclosure so need the full suit and top hat.

Looking to buy outright from a suit shop in Brighton - sourcing men's clothing up here in Mid Sussex is a nightmare - does anyone have any recommendations please? Somewhere they may have bought from before etc.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Off the peg or tailored?

I suspect you've left the latter too late. If it's off the peg there seems to be a supply issue in some shops. I had to get a new suit for a business meeting this week because my existing ones had got a little snug over lockdown etc. I went on Saturday and it was much more painful that I thought. Moss Bros on Church Rd Hove have always had reasonable work suits from the like of Ted Baker and DKNY in my size before but they didn't have a single 36 long trouser to go with a 42 jacket. Not. One.

I traipsed off to town and eventually had to settle for M&S and not in a colour or cut I really liked.

el punal

Off the peg or tailored?

I suspect you've left the latter too late. If it's off the peg there seems to be a supply issue in some shops. I had to get a new suit for a business meeting this week because my existing ones had got a little snug over lockdown etc. I went on Saturday and it was much more painful that I thought. Moss Bros on Church Rd Hove have always had reasonable work suits from the like of Ted Baker and DKNY in my size before but they didn't have a single 36 long trouser to go with a 42 jacket. Not. One.

I traipsed off to town and eventually had to settle for M&S and not in a colour or cut I really liked.

I’m intrigued - if you have made to measure suits these days are you asked if you dress to the left?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Hoping the NSC community can assist me on this please as I'm struggling to find options online.

I'm off to the Royal meeting at Ascot next week and am going in the Royal Enclosure so need the full suit and top hat.

Looking to buy outright from a suit shop in Brighton - sourcing men's clothing up here in Mid Sussex is a nightmare - does anyone have any recommendations please? Somewhere they may have bought from before etc.

M and S - good quality & plenty of choice .

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow

The old Jewish guy that those characters were based on must be dead now. He had a second hand shop just off the Queens Road. By the end it was just a horders dump of musty rags and was infested with moths. As a Mod I only wear 3 button suits and they're virtually impossible to buy outside of Mod shops. Jump the Gun is ok for a 3 button. If not just get some Next suit with 2 buttons and look like every other ticket and estate agent

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The old Jewish guy that those characters were based on must be dead now. He had a second hand shop just off the Queens Road. By the end it was just a horders dump of musty rags and was infested with moths. As a Mod I only wear 3 button suits and they're virtually impossible to buy outside of Mod shops. Jump the Gun is ok for a 3 button. If not just get some Next suit with 2 buttons and look like every other ticket and estate agent

Was that at the top of Church St?

Bought a lovely 3 button jobby from there back in the day, colour was a bit iffy but fitted like a glove.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I remember the shop, always had clothes hanging up outside, I did buy a button down collar shirt in there in the early 80s.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Was that at the top of Church St?

Bought a lovely 3 button jobby from there back in the day, colour was a bit iffy but fitted like a glove.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/6720431.farewell-to-shop-that-suited-us-for-years/

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset

Ah the hunt for a three button suit, made even harder if you want 3 buttons and a single vent.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Seem to recall buying my first Trench coat there, mid 80's, proper gabardine too.

JTG is a good shout
Gresham possibly, they do semi tailored.

Took my lad to M& S recently for a 'prom suit' and was pleasantly surprised by the whislte collection at bargain prices, far better than melandi/cavern 40 odd years ago!

Kids today wouldn't get Jaeger pure wool 3 button suits in Shoreham charity shops for a tenner like we did . . . They wouldn't get it even if they were there!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Was that before they went bust?

It does make you wonder how long ago he bought a suit - it's been Waterstones for at least 15 years

I've just had to buy a suit for my mum's funeral. M&S was perfectly fine

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here