Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Furniture collection in Hove area

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Over Christmas my mum was diagnose with Alzheimer's, her mental heath went down hill fast and she is now in a care home in Hove.

My mum's house is owned buy the Guiness trust and I have been told as her next of kin that I can end the the teneancy, when I do I have four weeks to clear the house.

My mum was very house proud and has a lot of modern and hand made furniture and well as metal frame beds. fridge, washing mashine, oven etc

Ideally I would like this to go to a charity, I was hoping something like a womens recue where they have to move quickly and have nothing.

This has been something I have been putting off as I find it hard to deal with as it is the home I grew up in and getting rid of my mums things without her knowlegde (she would not understand even if I told her) just feels wrong.

On top of working full time, traveling abroad for work and living in Reading, it is difficult to organise things.

Is there any charities in the Hove area that would be greatfull for donations like this?

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Sorry to hear that, Age UK advertise a house clearance service to take away pretty much everything that is in a condition that can be resold for charity. You can book it online here.

Sneaky edit to link to East Sussex.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sorry to hear that, Age UK advertise a house clearance service to take away pretty much everything that is in a condition that can be resold for charity. You can book it online here.

That link appears to be Norfolk age uk. It might not be the right form for Hove

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/westsussexbrightonhove/ This is the age uk website for Hove. I don't know if there is a similar furniture collection service, but the contact info would be more relevant.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
That link appears to be Norfolk age uk. It might not be the right form for Hove

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/westsussexbrightonhove/ This is the age uk website for Hove. I don't know if there is a similar furniture collection service, but the contact info would be more relevant.

Cheers for that, I didn't see the location details, I just suggested Age UK as I know they've done collections from us in the past in Newhaven.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Over Christmas my mum was diagnose with Alzheimer's, her mental heath went down hill fast and she is now in a care home in Hove.

My mum's house is owned buy the Guiness trust and I have been told as her next of kin that I can end the the teneancy, when I do I have four weeks to clear the house.

My mum was very house proud and has a lot of modern and hand made furniture and well as metal frame beds. fridge, washing mashine, oven etc

Ideally I would like this to go to a charity, I was hoping something like a womens recue where they have to move quickly and have nothing.

This has been something I have been putting off as I find it hard to deal with as it is the home I grew up in and getting rid of my mums things without her knowlegde (she would not understand even if I told her) just feels wrong.

On top of working full time, traveling abroad for work and living in Reading, it is difficult to organise things.

Is there any charities in the Hove area that would be greatfull for donations like this?

All charities will charge you and shouldn’t be seen as some sort of kind gesture on your behalf. If you want to donate to charity you’re almost better off selling contents yourself (again, market is saturated so don’t be surprised or offended if greater part is almost worthless) and giving them a lump sum. You should view this in exactly the same way as any other commercial deal, like selling on eBay. Charities need to make money to pay their costs just like everyone else. So if you’re looking for someone who’ll collect for free, I’m return for keeping monies raised from anything they’re able to sell, your options are likely small. I managed to find one in Mid Sussex, did a great job, after British Heart Foundation wanted £3k for packing and removing plus keep all proceeds from anything they managed to sell. That’s quite normal though. Good luck!

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!

If you have 4 weeks, you could sell the items, having the buyers collect and then give the money to the charity of your choice.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
[MENTION=1155]ozzygull[/MENTION] I ought to add you have my deepest sympathies. Was in this situation myself only a few months ago. 40years of memories cleared whilst surviving parent in care home with Alzheimer’s. I’m so lucky to have had a close friend and wife help me who were less emotionally attached. Losing the house was a bereavement in itself. You find masses of memories, it can be overwhelming. Especially photos, letters and other personal effects you may never knew they’d kept eg a postcard or letter you sent many years ago that must have meant something to them. Tough times, be kind to yourself and enrols a friend or family member who “gets it” and will help practically and emotionally. It can be draining.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
[MENTION=1155]ozzygull[/MENTION] I ought to add you have my deepest sympathies. Was in this situation myself only a few months ago. 40years of memories cleared whilst surviving parent in care home with Alzheimer’s. I’m so lucky to have had a close friend and wife help me who were less emotionally attached. Losing the house was a bereavement in itself. You find masses of memories, it can be overwhelming. Especially photos, letters and other personal effects you may never knew they’d kept eg a postcard or letter you sent many years ago that must have meant something to them. Tough times, be kind to yourself and enrols a friend or family member who “gets it” and will help practically and emotionally. It can be draining.

Thank you, yes every time I visit to collect post or mow the grass, I know my mum would be devastated if the garden looked unkept. It’s heart breaking just walking in and her not being there in her chair. Leave there a bit of a reck every time.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Thank you, yes every time I visit to collect post or mow the grass, I know my mum would be devastated if the garden looked unkept. It’s heart breaking just walking in and her not being there in her chair. Leave there a bit of a reck every time.

Yep, really tough. Did same, heading back up to the M25 from the 23 (as we’re both Thames Valley Seagulls) it was often the big V bridge before my eyes had dried. As said, be kind to yourself. It’s normal. You’re coping with an awful lot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here