Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When football fans get it wrong.....

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Talking over the Bank Holiday about football of yesteryear, and our Sunday lunchtime visit to Canvey Island in November 1995 came up.

Firstly with Tony Millard giving a running commentary on the Remembrance Minutes Silence (clearly as Alan Partridge said 'Dead air is a crime')

But the stick out moment of the whole day, other than the eventful 2-2 draw, was talking to two West Ham fans in the main stand about Frank Lampard Junior, who a couple of weeks before had played at the Goldstone on loan to Swansea.

They weren't convinced, " See him, he's only there because Redknapp is his Uncle, he will never amount to anything, will be playing non league football in 5 years time"

He couldn't have been more wrong.....:facepalm:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Most football fans are as sensible as it gets in most regards but when it comes to what actually happens on the pitch, how tactics and training works, the actual level of the players and so on - most are completely clueless. But thats all part of the fun.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Talking over the Bank Holiday about football of yesteryear, and our Sunday lunchtime visit to Canvey Island in November 1995 came up.

Firstly with Tony Millard giving a running commentary on the Remembrance Minutes Silence (clearly as Alan Partridge said 'Dead air is a crime')

But the stick out moment of the whole day, other than the eventful 2-2 draw, was talking to two West Ham fans in the main stand about Frank Lampard Junior, who a couple of weeks before had played at the Goldstone on loan to Swansea.

They weren't convinced, " See him, he's only there because Redknapp is his Uncle, he will never amount to anything, will be playing non league football in 5 years time"

And you didn't join in with 'who the f***ing hell are you ?' when Beckham made his debut :wink:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
We get it wrong the other way as well.
Who remembers Abdul Razak on loan from Manchester City?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Most football fans are as sensible as it gets in most regards but when it comes to what actually happens on the pitch, how tactics and training works, the actual level of the players and so on - most are completely clueless. But thats all part of the fun.

Quite. As I have often confessed, I know nothing about football. To me it's largely panto.

The classic bit of misguided punditry is recounted in Peter Cook's biography. He was watching the 66 WC final and England went 2-1 up, and a bloke sitting near him came out with the immortal line "Nothing can go wrong now". :facepalm:

When England went 3-2 up in extra time, Cook turned to the bloke in question and said (I paraphrase) "One word, and you're a ******* dead man" :lolol:

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011

Yup, just about sums me up.
I've got blue and white striped blood running through me body, but when it comes to tactics, formations, team selection etc.....:shrug:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

They were possibly talking about his managerial acumen :wink:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
You're criticising them for not being able to see into the future. Classy.

I remember the video of Harry Redknapp defending Lampard when criticised by the West Ham fans. Redknapp knew what a talent Frank was, and so it was proven. Fans can only go by what little they see on a match day, we have absolutely no idea about a player's character or motivation or potential to improve.

I remain convinced that Doug Loft will play in the Premier League, one day.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
England v Greece 2001 Beckham had already put a few free kicks way off target so when he lined up for that last one I said to my mates ‘FFS not Beckham again let Sheringham take it’

Never lived it down and rightly so!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Sat next to a guy who, as Izquierdo shaped up the shoot against West Ham at home shouted "NO, Not like tha........GOOOAAAALLLLL!!!!"

"Not like that" has become a running joke

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We've all done it, but a mate of mine at Withdean was BELLOWING at some lower-league no-mark after he went down and stayed down in the last few seconds just in front of the dugouts, after (whichever team it was) had taken an early lead and had spent the rest of the afternoon running the clock down.

"THERE'S NUFFIN WRONG WITH HIM. GET UP, F*CKING GET UP YOU TIMEWASTING W*NKER, GO ON, F*CKING F*CK OFF THE PITCH"

A stretcher duly arrived and he was eventually carted off. Turned out he actually had a broken leg.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I thought this was going to be another thread about booing 'the knee' :moo:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
We've all done it, but a mate of mine at Withdean was BELLOWING at some lower-league no-mark after he went down and stayed down in the last few seconds just in front of the dugouts, after (whichever team it was) had taken an early lead and had spent the rest of the afternoon running the clock down.

"THERE'S NUFFIN WRONG WITH HIM. GET UP, F*CKING GET UP YOU TIMEWASTING W*NKER, GO ON, F*CKING F*CK OFF THE PITCH"

A stretcher duly arrived and he was eventually carted off. Turned out he actually had a broken leg.

One of my favourites at the Amex is a chap who without fail screams abuse (and it's usually pretty foul-mouthed along the above lines) at players who've gone down, gets louder the longer they stay down and then always claps them off. He may be a massive hypocrite, but at least he applauds them off.

On fans getting things wrong, I always things it's much easier to look a fool when criticising a young player that'll "never make it" because if they don't people rarely remember you being right, but if you're wrong you look a right tool. A multitude of clubs (ours included) have released players for being too small to succeed for example. No-one remembers the ones we released because, as it turns out, they were too small.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here