Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Giving up your seat for the elderly

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I probably offer my seat on the tram/bus to an eldery bod once a month or so but I cannot remember the last time someone accepted my gesture. Have old people become more resilient? Are they more proud? Stonger pins? What gives?

(just to clarify, it's on a as-needs basis; I do not ration my offer to once a month)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I often do it when necessary on the tube and have found the same thing as you, the offer is usually declined.

What has befuddled me recently that I have noticed a marked increase in, is adults giving up seats so children can sit down on the tube. Balls to that!

Jul 7, 2003
As someone of similar age, maybe it is time to realise that we are getting on a bit and they don't consider us as young people:(.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I probably offer my seat on the tram/bus...

preview.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What has befuddled me recently that I have noticed a marked increase in, is adults giving up seats so children can sit down on the tube. Balls to that!

Agree. **** that.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I often do it when necessary on the tube and have found the same thing as you, the offer is usually declined.

That's normal in Thailand and other parts of Asia, and yes, balls to that!

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

Saw a bit of rage on the tube a couple of weeks ago where a lady working on her laptop was asked to give up her seat for a child of maybe 6 years old. When she refused the mother of the child ranted about how selfish she was, saying she would sit, the child on her lap, so two people got a seat instead of just one person. Amazing.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I always try to but it is indeed usually refused. I get incredibly annoyed when I see no one offering their place when some oldie is standing up however, makes my blood boil. Even if it is often refused, its a thing that should be done.

In my teens I also used to try to give up my seat for women whatever the age until society informed me that the 50s had ended 50 years ago.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Depends what is considered old, I'm 66 and would offer my seat, i don't consider my self old in the slightest.

This. On a train only last week and the only 'good' seats were those signposted for those who need them. I didn't sit there but got annoyed when another young couple took the seats.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I accept every time so please keep offering. I have had a steroid injection into my left ankle to help with the osteoarthritis I have in the calcaneal cuboid joint. but it's only temporary.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
This. On a train only last week and the only 'good' seats were those signposted for those who need them. I didn't sit there but got annoyed when another young couple took the seats.

It is not so much your age but your fitness that counts. Like the poster above, I was fit and well up to age 70, then it went downhill. Walking with a stick or now a frame, I would be glad if someone offered me a seat. Mind you, I have not taken a bus lately.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I accept every time so please keep offering. I have had a steroid injection into my left ankle to help with the osteoarthritis I have in the calcaneal cuboid joint. but it's only temporary.

I too always graciously accept.

When I arrived in the UK last week I had to catch a train to the West Country with a pretty heavy suitcase. I was very pleased to receive offers to lift it both on and off the train at each end. Another act of kindness that was much appreciated after more than 40 hours travelling🤪

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

That is very annoying. We have seats designated for the elderly etc which are nearly always occupied by young, fit people who clearly cannot read the signs.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Depends what is considered old, I'm 66 and would offer my seat, i don't consider my self old in the slightest.

Entirely this. I'll give up my seat for pregnant women and people that clearly need to be able to sit whether they are young or old. Not just because they may appear old and have a few grey hairs!!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I pat my thighs and give a cheeky wink. Why shouldn't we both get something out of it?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I always did especially for anyone pregnant, elderly and a little unstable or anyone with obvious injuries.
I left London around 6 years ago when I was in my early 50s and was surprised to have been offered a seat by a teenage lad one day. I politely declined but had a little chuckle to myself as I had never considered myself as being old until then.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
When offered a seat, I generally gratefully accept. However if my journey is very short I may decline. My reasoning being that in a crowded situation the person giving up the seat may end up continuing to stand while some other person grabs it when I vacate.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
As a 76 year old (today as it happens) I've been offered a seat 3 times on the bus, but I've smiled and said no politely working on the basis that if I can still stand for 30 mins I will. However I like the manners of the younger Spanish generation who are far more aware and respectful to us not such young ones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here