Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England players taking the knee causing more problems than it solves

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Wait, GB News have a problem with an anti-racism gesture?

I am stunned. Stunned I tells ya.

It still upsets all the right people. That alone is reason enough to keep doing it.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

It still upsets all the right people. That alone is reason enough to keep doing it.

Just playing devil's advocate but could it only really just be creating more of a divide than actually achieving anything, though? Do you think that through players taking the knee one person has thought OK maybe I should stop being racist? I'm not sure..? Happy to be proved wrong of course

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The problem is only that some folk can't cope with a harmless gesture that last a few seconds that demonstrates opposition to discrimination.

I don't understand the booing. The whole BLM thing has been long put to bed.

Let them boo.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I tell you what causes more problems than it solves.

People telling inappropriate jokes on social media.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Just playing devil's advocate but could it only really just be creating more of a divide than actually achieving anything, though? Do you think that through players taking the knee one person has thought OK maybe I should stop being racist? I'm not sure..? Happy to be proved wrong of course

conversely, has one person seeing players taking a knee thought OK I'll start being racist? It seems more unlikely than the opposite, so IMO its effect is at the very worst neutral, in which case there is no harm and they should continue as long as they want.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

End of thread, and into the pit. :lolol: :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

It is certainly a divide, and an excellent one.

Not making racists feel uncomfortable by not having players take the knee would certainly close the divide, but who wants that?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Very sad by an over officious MOD to put a football thread into the ‘Bear Pit’ but let’s a politician thread run & run in the main thread.
Tory meltdown coming.

This isn't a football thread, it is a politics thread. And the knee thing has been done to death. It has been proven time and time again that it annoys racists, and shames waverers (people not sure if they are racists or not, who have been toying with racism but are not yet ready to consider Full Gammon - nazicurious).

Next you'll be suggesting that since that road deaths are now at an all time low, perhaps we should be thinking about relaxing the drink driving laws. And with all that sex education we now have, whatabout lowering the age of consent - to 14?

:facepalm:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
This might be one for Big Dog to sort out in the coming week with a proposed ban on 'taking the knee'.

Some more toxic red meat he can chuck out as chaff.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
personally think its a pointless exercise, however there is no problem caused by it. unless people being so racist that they cant ignore it, feel need to boo, counts as a problem. having to play behind closed doors due to racism, then have a crowd of children booing would be a problem for Hungary if they cared, they obviously dont. hopefully next games will be completely crowd free.

This isn't a football thread, it is a politics thread. And the knee thing has been done to death. It has been proven time and time again that it annoys racists, and shames waverers (people not sure if they are racists or not, who have been toying with racism but are not yet ready to consider Full Gammon - nazicurious).

Next you'll be suggesting that since that road deaths are now at an all time low, perhaps we should be thinking about relaxing the drink driving laws. And with all that sex education we now have, whatabout lowering the age of consent - to 14?

:facepalm:

Haven’t you just contradicted yourself, by stating that this is a ‘Political thread’ but it’s ok for a Tory bashing thread on the main forum?
��*♂️
And by the way can’t a sensible debate about a football matter be discussed in a sensible way without causing offence?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
conversely, has one person seeing players taking a knee thought OK I'll start being racist? It seems more unlikely than the opposite, so IMO its effect is at the very worst neutral, in which case there is no harm and they should continue as long as they want.

It is certainly a divide, and an excellent one.

Not making racists feel uncomfortable by not having players take the knee would certainly close the divide, but who wants that?

Yeah, good points.

I do wonder about it making racists feel more anger and resentment though and about how helpful that is to the cause.

For the record I see it for what it is - a harmless gesture towards antidiscrimination

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Haven’t you just contradicted yourself, by stating that this is a ‘Political thread’ but it’s ok for a Tory bashing thread on the main forum?
��*♂️
And by the way can’t a sensible debate about a football matter be discussed in a sensible way without causing offence?

Yes, you're right. It isn't a politics thread, it's a foolish thread. And an invitation for the likes of PPF to give you a thumbs up, thread. But I don't see why it can't be kept on the main board, if you like, where you can fill your boots with people like me suggesting you pull your heard out of your arse, while others agree with you that 'we' are bored with all this anti racism bollocks, and the black have got legal equality now so they should jolly well shut up. Keep politics out of football. God Save the Queen :thumbsup:

:shootself:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
��*♂️

Tory bashing because the Tories are giving people good reason to bash them.

Racism isn’t just a football matter, it perpetuates throughout society.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
personally think its a pointless exercise, however there is no problem caused by it. unless people being so racist that they cant ignore it, feel need to boo, counts as a problem. having to play behind closed doors due to racism, then have a crowd of children booing would be a problem for Hungary if they cared, they obviously dont. hopefully next games will be completely crowd free.

Personally I also think it's pointless.

Because I'm white so, by definition, it is irrelevant to me, personally.

However.....I'm not the only little fishy in the pond, am I? ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah, good points.

I do wonder about it making racists feel more anger and resentment though and about how helpful that is to the cause.

For the record I see it for what it is - a harmless gesture towards antidiscrimination

Anyone* getting triggered and angry about the knee taking does not have the right to seek having it banned so they don't have their poor feelings hurt. That's like telling gay couple to not hold hands in public in case it offends a christian. This is about acknowledging that black people are humans and require to be treated as equals. Yes, that offends some white people. In which case, they should stay away from football.

It was never about ending racism. It was about shaming it.

Every time someone starts a thread like this is confirmation the knee taking should continue.

*They can **** right off as far as I am concerned. Imagine a cohort of the population who spent their lives raping kids. Would the right approach to them be to not suggest this is wrong, in case it sends the wrong message, encourages them further, or makes them feel alienated? 'But everyone knows that raping kids is wrong' you might say. And......???

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here