Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Television Problems

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This could be a thread of honour to the great BG, but technology isn't always my thing either.

I have Virgin Media now, and a good deal too. But I'm having problems turning the television off and on.

Here's the scenario...

If the television and Virgin box is tuned off at the switch, and the plug is switched on from fresh, the box comes on and once it's gone through its sequences I turn the television on and it connects to Virgin straight away.

But that's it.

If I just turn the television off with the remote at night and not the box, or if I turn off the Virgin box or both, the television won't come on the next day when I try to make it do so. I have to turn everything off at the main plug and start again.

I can't help thinking it's something simple. It's all on at the moment. But will have to be switched off at the main plug later. The television won't come on otherwise.

Utterly confused.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Is it a TV fault, an old-ish TV?

As I have the same set up as you with Virgin TV, but no problems at all. I assume you have their TiVo box.

I never turn off power to the TiVo box, unless (very rarely) it freezes.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
in Virgin media home

Audio and Video/One Power/On

that turns my VM box and TV off/on together using the virgin remote. Might work for you.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
in Virgin media home

Audio and Video/One Power/On

that turns my VM box and TV off/on together using the virgin remote. Might work for you.

I tried that. And thought I had succeeded. The TV displays a 'no signal message' when I switch off, but once it's counted down that goes away.

But when I switched the Virgin remote back on I got sound through the TV but no picture.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Is it a TV fault, an old-ish TV?

As I have the same set up as you with Virgin TV, but no problems at all. I assume you have their TiVo box.

I never turn off power to the TiVo box, unless (very rarely) it freezes.

I was thinking that, it's a cheap two year old TV.

But it was never playing up when I had Sky. Only since I got Virgin.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was thinking that, it's a cheap two year old TV.

But it was never playing up when I had Sky. Only since I got Virgin.

Genuinely, Virgin works fine for us, on a 10 year old Panasonic TV. NOT 4k, UHD or LED. With them since 1996 at various addresses.

I mention to eliminate the inevitable ‘red herring’ from a Sky dish devotee who hates Virgin cable with a passion.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Check the output settings on the Virgin Box. If it's trying to output in 4K, HDR, DolbyVision or such like, and the TV can only handle standard 5.1 and 1080p HD then it can play havoc.

Also (as mentioned) have a look if some kind of 'Sync' is enabled. Again, if the TV software doesn't support this it can be problematic.

Finally, which HDMI socket are you going into? Some TV's have HDMI sockets for specific uses - HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) being one of them...

Aside from the above I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just good at pretending I do. ???

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Check the output settings on the Virgin Box. If it's trying to output in 4K, HDR, DolbyVision or such like, and the TV can only handle standard 5.1 and 1080p HD then it can play havoc.

Also (as mentioned) have a look if some kind of 'Sync' is enabled. Again, if the TV software doesn't support this it can be problematic.

Finally, which HDMI socket are you going into? Some TV's have HDMI sockets for specific uses - HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) being one of them...

Aside from the above I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just good at pretending I do. ???

You know more than me. I'll try all of that. Thanks for advising.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Genuinely, Virgin works fine for us, on a 10 year old Panasonic TV. NOT 4k, UHD or LED. With them since 1996 at various addresses.

I mention to eliminate the inevitable ‘red herring’ from a Sky dish devotee who hates Virgin cable with a passion.

I love Virgin. And much cheaper than Sky.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This could be a thread of honour to the great BG, but technology isn't always my thing either.

I have Virgin Media now, and a good deal too. But I'm having problems turning the television off and on.

Here's the scenario...

If the television and Virgin box is tuned off at the switch, and the plug is switched on from fresh, the box comes on and once it's gone through its sequences I turn the television on and it connects to Virgin straight away.

But that's it.

If I just turn the television off with the remote at night and not the box, or if I turn off the Virgin box or both, the television won't come on the next day when I try to make it do so. I have to turn everything off at the main plug and start again.

I can't help thinking it's something simple. It's all on at the moment. But will have to be switched off at the main plug later. The television won't come on otherwise.

Utterly confused.

with ours, when it's on standby, you have to hold the power button (on the virgin remote) for quite a few seconds before the tv either turns on or off. Have you tried that?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It could just be that the Virgin remote is not emulating your TV Remote signal correctly.

Have you tried checking the details for your TV make and model again?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
with ours, when it's on standby, you have to hold the power button (on the virgin remote) for quite a few seconds before the tv either turns on or off. Have you tried that?

Do you actually have tokeep holding it down? Ours is one short press, then wait 3-4 seconds before it springs to life. (Wouldn't want you wasting your batteries for no reason:smile:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here