Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Charlie Oatway interview

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Was just reading it myself, and about to post. Always liked Oatway as a player, and rate him even more as a person now.
I am sure there was a recent Harty interview as well covering a lot of this ground as well

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Read his book years ago, felt enormous pride in him as an Albion fan. Could play a bit too…

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Hmm, quite a bit of airbrushing of history by Charlie here since he first went public about his literacy issues (in The Times) in 2004. He omits to mention that when he "sought [Alan] Sanders' advice", it was when Sanders was working for Albion In The Community and that he first began to learn to read in the community programme of the club he was captaining - in the Withdean portakabins. But then I suppose both he and Alan feel rather bitter about the way the club treated them so wouldn't want to mention the Albion.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/oatway-proving-he-has-the-write-stuff-pjl2p80l9lt

Last edited:

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Hmm, quite a bit of airbrushing of history by Charlie here since he first went public about his literacy issues (in The Times) in 2004. He omits to mention that when he "sought [Alan] Sanders' advice", it was when Sanders was working for Albion In The Community and that he first began to learn to read in the community programme of the club he was captaining - in the Withdean portakabins. But then I suppose both he and Alan feel rather bitter about the way the club treated them so wouldn't want to mention the Albion.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/oatway-proving-he-has-the-write-stuff-pjl2p80l9lt

Am aware of the Oatway issue (apparently he has said he'll never go to The Amex again despite still living in the city) but what happened with Alan Sanders?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here