Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] O2 deal. Oooh

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No I don't work for them. But I cleverly dropped my Samsung A71 the other day and cracked the screen. Went into the O2 store, to find they're currently doing a £250 cashback deal when you recycle your old phone.

So I walked out with my previous contract fully paid off, a brand new Samsung Z3 Flip, +£71 cash paid into my bank account from the cashback deal, plus a voucher for a FREE Samsung Galaxy Watch4 (ordered online when I got home, you just have to upload the receipt). Oh and I switched to their O2 broadband, which knocked a tenner off my monthly phone tariff, and doubles my mobile data from 20gb to 40gb a month.

I'm still waiting to find the catch, no doubt people will be queuing up to say how terrible their broadband is etc (although touch wood my parents haven't had any issues with it). Anyways, if you're with O2 and thinking of upgrading your phone, nows a good time.

You have not been charged for this information.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Also if you’ve an O2 account you can get £25 pm off your new Virgin Media contract

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The downside is now that you're presumably paying £50pm for the contract and phone that is locked in for the next 3 odd years when you could just be paying a tenner a month on a giff gaff contract (in a world were you didn't drop your old phone).

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
No I don't work for them. But I cleverly dropped my Samsung A71 the other day and cracked the screen. Went into the O2 store, to find they're currently doing a £250 cashback deal when you recycle your old phone.

So I walked out with my previous contract fully paid off, a brand new Samsung Z3 Flip, +£71 cash paid into my bank account from the cashback deal, plus a voucher for a FREE Samsung Galaxy Watch4 (ordered online when I got home, you just have to upload the receipt). Oh and I switched to their O2 broadband, which knocked a tenner off my monthly phone tariff, and doubles my mobile data from 20gb to 40gb a month.

I'm still waiting to find the catch, no doubt people will be queuing up to say how terrible their broadband is etc (although touch wood my parents haven't had any issues with it). Anyways, if you're with O2 and thinking of upgrading your phone, nows a good time.

You have not been charged for this information.
Yes but what is monthly cost of new contract and how long is it for?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
On the downside you now have an *O2 contract and a Samsung phone. Oh, and a Samsung watch.

* I live in one of the most densely populated, affluent parts of the UK (Sussex) and cannot get even one bar of service on any phone from O2.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes but what is monthly cost of new contract and how long is it for?

3 year contract, £32 a month.
It would have been £42 a month without switching to their broadband which is £19.99 a month (which is £5 / month cheaper than my previous ISP). And I get a £290 smartwatch thrown in for nuffin.

This flip is...flipping brilliant btw. I love it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
On the downside you now have an *O2 contract and a Samsung phone. Oh, and a Samsung watch.

* I live in one of the most densely populated, affluent parts of the UK (Sussex) and cannot get even one bar of service on any phone from O2.

Weird. I've been with O2 for years, never had any issues other than sometimes around Hove, Grand Avenue area where the signal would go a bit weak. But even that seems to be alright these days.

This is my....4th Samsung I think ? They've all been excellent, except when I break them.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
It would have been £42 a month without switching to their broadband which is £19.99 a month (which is £5 / month cheaper than my previous ISP). And I get a £290 smartwatch thrown in for nuffin.

A GRAND for a mobile phone !!
The SIM only for 3 years is probably a couple hundred quid.
Yikes ...

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
So you’re committed to giving them more than a grand over the next three years instead of paying tenner a month but yes it’s not the most horrible version I’ve heard when other things taken into account. If you’re happy good for you. Also locked into them instead of other cheaper companies with better welcome/switch offers now for a bunch of other things too.

Would you have bought the watch for hundreds of quid? Mine does everything that does and was about a fiver but isn’t ‘cool’ due to the name. If were genuinely going to go out and buy that model at full retail then bargain!

Stumpy Tim

I've got the Fold which is equally brilliant. However, I did it a different way. I bought the phone direct from Samsung using Klarna (0% interest), which also came with the free watch (it's a Samsung deal, not an O2 deal), and then could shop around for the SIM only phone contract.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So you’re committed to giving them more than a grand over the next three years instead of paying tenner a month but yes it’s not the most horrible version I’ve heard when other things taken into account. If you’re happy good for you. Also locked into them instead of other cheaper companies with better welcome/switch offers now for a bunch of other things too.

Would you have bought the watch for hundreds of quid? Mine does everything that does and was about a fiver but isn’t ‘cool’ due to the name. If were genuinely going to go out and buy that model at full retail then bargain!

TBH I hate changing devices, I always find it a ballache, so had I not smashed my A71 last week then I'd have happily seen out the remaining 18-months odd of the contract on that phone before upgrading.
Would I have splashed out £850 for the phone in one hit ? Nah. I won't notice £32 a month though, its only £8 more than my old deal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've got the Fold which is equally brilliant. However, I did it a different way. I bought the phone direct from Samsung using Klarna (0% interest), which also came with the free watch (it's a Samsung deal, not an O2 deal), and then could shop around for the SIM only phone contract.

I did stroke my chins at the Fold, its a lovely bit of kit, but just felt it was a little too thick and bulky for my pocket. Were I inclined to carry a MAN-BAG then I'd probably be all over it. But I'm not.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
There's a certain breed of people mobile companies love. I pay just £5 per month for top up. I always buy my phones outright. Not interested in high end phones.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I did stroke my chins at the Fold, its a lovely bit of kit, but just felt it was a little too thick and bulky for my pocket. Were I inclined to carry a MAN-BAG then I'd probably be all over it. But I'm not.

Anyone else click on this link and think WTF? :D

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I live in, just about still rural Cowfold, and have similar problems. About the only provider with reliable coverage here, is Vodafone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here