[Cricket] Jim Parks RIP

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Fantastic player for Sussex and England, one of my childhood hero's

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Passed away in Worthing Hospital after a fall at home. Age 90. One of my all time cricket heroes. Also a fellow HCGS. Fellow boy. A good innings Sir RIP

Ioved watching him play, he seemed a real character, as were many of the Sussex players in those days. Good memories too of his playing for England, an era with Snow, Dexter, then Greig from Sussex...but I'm possibly mixing two eras by mistakes?! Great memories, thank you for posting.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Very sad to hear. A Sussex and England hero who gave so much pleasure to so many. Parks and Dexter coming out to bat at the County Ground livened things up on many a day. RIP.

Dexter and Parks.jpg

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Ioved watching him play, he seemed a real character, as were many of the Sussex players in those days. Good memories too of his playing for England, an era with Snow, Dexter, then Greig from Sussex...but I'm possibly mixing two eras by mistakes?! Great memories, thank you for posting.

Tony Greig came a bit later. Parks, Dexter and Snow were in the same '60s side.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I received my first cricket award from Jim Parks 32 years ago at a dinner in the Trevor at Glynde.

He spoke fondly of Sussex and was very committed to the county.

His career ended before my time, having spent three years at Somerset. Still playing in his forties, as some did. A man of Sussex though. And a long time servant.

RIP Sunny.

Was the oldest surviving English Test cricketer.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I remember, as a lad, sitting under what I think was the press box (a tall white building on the west side of the ground) when JP hit a six right over the top of the building and out of the ground. Just an incredible hit. We had a great, exciting team in the early 60s and my lifetime interest in cricket stems from those days.
Another HGS boy bites the dust. RIP JP

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Very sad news; he was an exciting batsman to watch and an England player when we didn't have many Sussex players in the side.

He was treated shabbily by Sussex (not the only player applies to) but came back and served in the marketing department for many years.

RIP Young Jim

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Passed away in Worthing Hospital after a fall at home. Age 90. One of my all time cricket heroes. Also a fellow HCGS boy.
A good innings Sir RIP

He played football in the same Haywards Heath side as my father and both were HGS pupils. Great all round sportsman! RIP!

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
And not a mention of his passing on the BBC Cricket Webshite. Lots of stuff about T20 of course...
Noticed that myself and fully agree with you. Yet only the other day on the announcement of Ben Stokes being named as England captain and the reports of him playing the best/finest performance in an England shirt and yes a match winning innings,but i am sorry it's at odds of 500/1 when Ian Botham 149no and the Late Bob
8-4-43 Willis might just see it differently?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Tony Greig came a bit later. Parks, Dexter and Snow were in the same '60s side.

Thank you 👍. Parks, Dexter and Snow...wow. I have two memories in particular:
- Snow and Higgs last wicket century stand versus the Windies
- Dexter hitting a double century after being recalled to the England team
...but it could be a mirage, so feel free to add/subtract from my memories 👍👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here