Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Greatest Player to pull on an Albion shirt (to date)

The greatest player to pull on an Albion shirt (to date)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The excellent Bissouma thread has been side tracked to a degree so I thought I'd put it to the vote.

It appears to be a two horse race, Mark Lawrenson or Vincente, but I will appease the younger fans on here by providing a CMS option:lolol:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Easy:

katie-price-brighton-kit.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Vicente was the most gifted/accomplished ball player.

But we only saw a few all too brief cameos due to long-term injuries. That's why a Championship club managed to sign a former great for Spain and Valencia.

A matador, I recall several opposing players all at once unable to steal the ball from him.

Lawrenson for me, we got several seasons out of a world class CB/midfielder.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Hard for people to judge players they weren't around to see. Lawrenson is clearly a favourite but I have no experience of having seen him play for the Albion, nor his peers in that era.

Vicente was different class. Possibly the most gifted player I have ever seen play for us but I don't think he did enough to be the greatest player we have ever had.

For me, it would have to be Bobby Zamora. Class, commitment, character and brilliant in both his spells with us.

Jimmy Grimble

I see ‘greatest’ as being more than just footballing ability but also about longevity, leadership and sustained contribution to success. Legacy I guess.

With that in mind, Lewis Dunk is the greatest Brighton player IMHO.

Best ever footballer to play for Brighton? Too young to have seen Lawrenson so I don’t think it’s fair to vote.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Vicente?
Come off it. The guy had a lovely few cameos for us in the Championship and undoubted quality but our greatest ever player? Wow.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If you go as simple as, who in their career reached the best standard of kicking a ball, but also happened to play for Brighton at some point.......then it's Vicente.

He is the best footballer who has played for us. It would have blown my mind if he had joined us NOW, let alone when he did.

At his peak, he was unreal.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'm going Dunk. Consistently very good over a long period of time. I'm not keen on comparing todays game to the early 80's, but what I think we can say is that there is a much greater concentration of world talent in the league now than then. Therefore, Dunky has played against better players and this tips it for me.

Full disclosure, never saw Lawro, I just have a suspicion that some of the votes going to him is the oldies going on about how they got to see someone nobody else did, (knowing it can't be refuted as there's limited video evidence). It's the same as my suspicion that the Nelson goal people go on about, probably wasn't all that.

Saw Vicente. Well yes obvious grace, balance and quality, but played in a lower league, and featured sporadically, so can't be considered in my mind. Also lack of output. A good mazy run and a nice free kick isn't enough to be considered the greatest in my view

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Best player for Brighton - probably Mark Lawrenson. Most talented player to turn out for Brighton - Vincente by a mile.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The way the question has been worded opens the door for Liam Brady who pulled on a Brighton shirt for Jimmy Case's testimonial against Liverpool at the Goldstone in 1994. He came on as a sub for Robert Codner. Matt Le Tissier also played for us in that game, but I wouldn't put him in the same class as Lawro or Liam. We lost 2-1. Robbie Fowler may have scored.

We never had a player called Vincente.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Vicente is the best Albion player I've seen live in the flesh. He was so far ahead of the team around him in quality it was like prime Maradona turning out for the Dog and Duck reserves on a Sunday morning.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The way the question has been worded opens the door for Liam Brady who pulled on a Brighton shirt for Jimmy Case's testimonial against Liverpool at the Goldstone in 1994. He came on as a sub for Robert Codner. Matt Le Tissier also played for us in that game, but I wouldn't put him in the same class as Lawro or Liam. We lost 2-1. Robbie Fowler may have scored.

We never had a player called Vincente.

Jimmy Case won the First Division 4 times and 3 European Cup medals.

He has a case (no pun intended) for being among the greatest players to pull on an Albion shirt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here