Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgin airlines relaxing Tattoos rules for flight attendants

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Virgin have said to reflect their commitment to individuality and inclusiveness they will be dropping the flight requirements to not show tattoos as long as they are not offensive . Still banned on the neck and face .

I suspect the main reason is the difficulty faced across the sector in currently recruiting flight attendants.

The type of person attracted to be a flight attendant has also changed from not very academic but middle class in the first 30 years of commercial flying to much more working class as it is today , hence the issue with so many having tattoos.

Even pilots are no longer exclusively middle class which is a shame because I do think a cultured accent is somewhat reassuring when the pilot makes his/her announcements.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Even pilots are no longer exclusively middle class which is a shame because I do think a cultured accent is somewhat reassuring when the pilot makes his/her announcements.

Agreed. If I heard a pilot talk in a cockney accent, it would ruin my gin and tonic. As for a Brummie accent, I would assume the pilot was about to kill himself and all his passengers.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Virgin have said to reflect their commitment to individuality and inclusiveness they will be dropping the flight requirements to not show tattoos as long as they are not offensive . Still banned on the neck and face .

I suspect the main reason is the difficulty faced across the sector in currently recruiting flight attendants.

The type of person attracted to be a flight attendant has also changed from not very academic but middle class in the first 30 years of commercial flying to much more working class as it is today , hence the issue with so many having tattoos.

Bit old thinking to believe tattoos are ‘middle class’ - I work in professional degree educated workforce = middle class and there are many with tattoos admittedly majority not visible

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As someone with tattoos I say BOO!

They do not look smart, they can be intimidating, and mostly because they used to be a sign of rebelliousness whereas now they are often a sign of pack mentality with really poor artwork. Don’t get me wrong, a well done sleeve can look really good, as can some torso art. But on hands and face it looks poor and tacky. Elderly people can find it off putting, and let’s be honest, some tattooed folk actually do it to look scary. That’s fine, but don’t expect to get a decent job with a spiders web across your boat, or ‘cut here’ emblazoned on your neck. Coppers should only be allowed if covered when in uniform.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
It would be tempting to get a tattoo on the forehead that says "Everyone on this plane will die" and see how their policy holds up.
But of course, as much as I'm not a fan of tats it's a good move.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It would be tempting to get a tattoo on the forehead that says "Everyone on this plane will die" and see how their policy holds up.
But of course, as much as I'm not a fan of tats it's a good move.

Everyone on that plane, on any plane, will of course die. Just perhaps not in a fiery wreckage.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Funny how fashions change , even 40 years ago , the only people that had tattoos were mainly sailors . It was considered very uncouth. Certainly women would not have thought it feminine to have tattoos . I still don’t .

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Funny how fashions change , even 40 years ago , the only people that had tattoos were mainly sailors . It was considered very uncouth. Certainly women would not have thought it feminine to have tattoos . I still don’t .

I know certain industries are still quite strict about it.

It's always baffled me to an extent. I've got most of both arms covered and I can guarantee that they do not impede my ability to my job in any way, shape or form.

I tend to think that having a prejudice against people with tattoos says a lot more about you than it does about them. And I don't mean you personally here. I'm talking the royal 'you'.

With all that said - I'd never get a neck, hand or face piece done. Each to their own but it's never appealed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Those red uniforms with some trashy tattoos poking out will look great.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester

As an airline Pilot myself, I can assure you the accent, gender, age of your Pilot has absolutely no baring on their ability. We’ve all worked sodding hard to be at the pointy end and are continually tested to ensure we maintain standards of safety to the highest degree.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
[/B]

As an airline Pilot myself, I can assure you the accent, gender, age of your Pilot has absolutely no baring on their ability. We’ve all worked sodding hard to be at the pointy end and are continually tested to ensure we maintain standards of safety to the highest degree.

Don't feed the troll...

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
[/B]

I hope you keep to the correct BEARING. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here