Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Johnson to bring back Imperial units to honour the queen

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...mperial-measurements-to-mark-platinum-jubilee

I see there is no thread on this. Presumably because when people heard about it they theought it must be a late April Fool joke.

Even if this is just a gesture, if shops are truly going to be able to use pounds, yards, bushels etc., kids will nead to learn this shit in schools.

I can't see this going into the national curriculum, so presumably nothing will actually change. It will be a case of 'you can sell coal by the hundred weight if you want to'. Just another tummy tickle to the sort of bloke who rang up Nicky Campbell this morning to announce that 'The best thing about this country is the Royal Family'.

Anyway, I have been waiting for the start of the Brexit Benefits*, so I guess this is one and I should be celebratin', like.

Hang on. We were able to buy beer in pints and petrol in gallons during our enslavement to the EU, weren't we? Or was that all a dream? ???

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...mperial-measurements-to-mark-platinum-jubilee

I see there is no thread on this. Presumably because when people heard about it they theought it must be a late April Fool joke.

Even if this is just a gesture, if shops are truly going to be able to use pounds, yards, bushels etc., kids will nead to learn this shit in schools.

I can't see this going into the national curriculum, so presumably nothing will actually change. It will be a case of 'you can sell coal by the hudred weight if you want to'. Just another tummy tickle to the sort of bloke who rang up Nicky Campbell this morning to announce that 'The best thing about this country is the Royal Family'.

Anyway, I have been waiting for the start of the Brexit Benefits*, so I guess this is one and I should be celebratin', like.

Hang on. We were able to buy beer in pints and petrol in gallons during our enslavement to the EU, weren't we? Or was that all a dream? ???

It was you …admit it Harry :D

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It was you …admit it Harry :D

When I was at uni, a mate of mine wrote a letter to The Sun, saying that to celebrate the silver jubilee, 'she had painted her poodle silver'. Astonishingly they published the letter, with the false name and everything. So I was thinking about calling GB News to tell them I have had the Queen's face tattood over my own face.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
When I was at uni, a mate of mine wrote a letter to The Sun, saying that to celebrate the silver jubillee, 'she had painted her poodle silver'. Astonishingly they published the letter, with the false name and everything. So I was thinking about calling GB News to tell them I have had the Queen's face tattood over my own face.

Do we know how the poodle got on

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I drive in miles, watch horse racing in Furlongs, play golf in yards, buy fruit in grams, Swim in metres (Pell's pool in Lewes excepted) and use a tape measure in CM.

Another example of government bullshit to detract you from the fact nobody can afford to heat their houses. I'm sure we will continue to use both quite happily.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
It's just distraction, throw as much unimportant crap around in the hopes it will distract from the important issues. Watching bbc news this morning and they have a big investigation on the terrible state of police response times and a story about a woman who miscarried and was forced to keep the child in the fridge as when the couple went to a&e they were too busy to see them in any reasonable time. But hey lets waste time on nonsense like this.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thank heavens for that. I still haven't got to grips with the new money!

Farthing
Ha'penny
Penny
Thruppeny bit
Tanner
Bob (shilling)
Florin
Halg a crown
Crown
Ten bob
Paaaahnd
Guinea

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
To honour the queen, read humour the 1920's nostalgists on his right who keep him in a job.

I'm pretty certain the queen isn't asking for this.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
And if he actually wanted to honour the queen he could resolve to not accelerate the break up of the union with every word he utters and every action he takes

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's just distraction, throw as much unimportant crap around in the hopes it will distract from the important issues. Watching bbc news this morning and they have a big investigation on the terrible state of police response times and a story about a woman who miscarried and was forced to keep the child in the fridge as when the couple went to a&e they were too busy to see them in any reasonable time. But hey lets waste time on nonsense like this.

Precisely my point. Plus, a small ponder on whether this will become a meme. I suspect not.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Absolute garbage nonsense drivel - par for the course really. Why some people can’t see through this idiot is beyond me.Surely no-one with any sense wants the return of imperial measures

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

I can't see this going into the national curriculum, so presumably nothing will actually change. It will be a case of 'you can sell coal by the hundred weight if you want to'. Just another tummy tickle to the sort of bloke who rang up Nicky Campbell this morning to announce that 'The best thing about this country is the Royal Family'.

About as likely to click on a grauniad link as I am a mail one, so I appreciate the commentary.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I completely get the idea – post-Brexit they want (for whatever reason) retailers to be able to sell stuff in whatever units they want without being prosecuted.

However, the way it's been spun – on both 'sides' – is stupid. Imperial measurements never went away, we use them all the time. Same for the beloved crown symbol on pint glasses.

On a slightly related matter, if this is one of the big Brexit benefits (or one of the ones that people wanted the most), I HAVE to wonder a) what the other ones are and b) if it was really worth it...

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Nice easy cushy jobs for the boys this. Can set up a task force and steering comity of friends and relatives to take huge salaries and do nothing. Why would 'global Britain' use a system that only 3 countries in the word use. Unless there's some huge trade deal with the powerhouses Liberia and Myanmar to be announced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here