Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Aldi/Lidl Blindness

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone else suffer from this affliction? Got one or other budget supermarket just down the road from me, it's been there for years now, no idea which one it is,they just seem totally interchangeable :shrug:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No blindness here - Lidl have far less variety than Aldi and are slightly more expensive. That said, both are very good supermarkets for getting your shopping at a very reasonable price. I use Aldi and then for a very few bits go to Sainsburys - three bags of goods at Aldi cost ~£60, less than one bag at Sainsburys ~£30. Why people use the Sainsburys and Tescos of the world to do their main shop is beyond me. Even more so Waitrose ! More money than sense.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Yep - still don't know which is which around us until I go there.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
We have all our shopping delivered, so would never go near one, but I have just had a lovely sit outside in the Aldi egg chair I bought (online) last week.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No blindness here - Lidl have far less variety than Aldi and are slightly more expensive. That said, both are very good supermarkets for getting your shopping at a very reasonable price. I use Aldi and then for a very few bits go to Sainsburys - three bags of goods at Aldi cost ~£60, less than one bag at Sainsburys ~£30. Why people use the Sainsburys and Tescos of the world to do their main shop is beyond me. Even more so Waitrose ! More money than sense.

I like the fact there’s less choice at Aldi, keeps you focused on what you need rather than trying to entice you to buy all sorts with shelf strategy product placement. A shop also takes twice as long as well as costs twice as much in Tesco/Sainburys

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I like them, great for larder stuff, tins etc, knock off the normal brands, love it. - Fruit and veg is largely shite though there's usually someone who will pipe up that his mate who's a chef gets there stuff there....

To add - If you need anything other than about the main 3 or 4 most popular herbs and spices, you're going somewhere else....

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Never go to Aldi/Lidl with a shopping list, you'll inevitably be disappointed. However, you'll also definitely come home with something VERY exciting and unexpected.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
By no means perfect, but well worth the punt.

Screenshot_20220528-171930~2.png

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Not only do I not have “blindness” I even know which each of them stocks that the other doesn’t so know which to go to for certain things.

Aldi’s version of Aperol is less than half the price of Aperol and actually beat Aperol in a Which magazine taste test recently.

Given the cost of living crisis looming these supermarkets are going to be getting a lot more business.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Aldi produce really not that bad

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here