Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is it time for the UK to become a republic?

Is it time to become a republic?

• Yes - become a republic

Votes: 189 38.4%
  • No - keep the monarchy

Votes: 306 62.2%

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Part of me thinks we should do it just to see the look on Charles' face...

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
She is not our Leader though is She?

She has a purely advisory role and may well have opinions on all the above which she has shared but Constitutionally she CANNOT do anything against the Government of the Day (which as She hasn't been elected I'm sure Herr T would agree with)

But it would appear that may not always be the case.

Although the queen's consent is deemed to be a mere formality it would seem that she may have used her position to influence legislation on occasion. Yes, I know it's the crazy left wing Guardian writing this but it still made me think

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/feb/08/queen-lobbied-for-changes-to-three-more-laws-documents-reveal

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A couple of centuries ago and 40% of you could be hanged for your views.

Loyalist. Keep the Royal Family as is.
This is a football forum and anything goes, but seriously you love the country so much you f'd off to live in Canada!!!

Ex pat royalists make football's armchair plastics look credible in my books.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
This is a football forum and anything goes, but seriously you love the country so much you f'd off to live in Canada!!!

Love the Queen, love the Crown.
Though there’s many far better countries in the world to spend your life in, in my book.
At least I chose to stay in the commonwealth.

To each their own.
:)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You’ll be pleased to know I’m not an expat royalist

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
But it would appear that may not always be the case.

Although the queen's consent is deemed to be a mere formality it would seem that she may have used her position to influence legislation on occasion. Yes, I know it's the crazy left wing Guardian writing this but it still made me think

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/feb/08/queen-lobbied-for-changes-to-three-more-laws-documents-reveal

Lobbying - as in giving an opinion - is not the same as making Laws though is it?

Does She influence Governments? Of course - she goes back to the days of Churchill and Kennedy and clearly has a huge amount of experience of British (and World) Politics.

Did she stop a Government doing things she didn't like? The Hunting Ban comes to mind. No She didn't because as I have previously posted She can't.

And neither will Charles...

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Get rid of the Queen? What? And loose all those extra Bank Holidays every 70 years?

But seriously can you imaging if Tony B-liar had been voted as President and his Letter Box model of a wife represented us on the world stage?
We would be even more laughed at that we are now.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Lobbying - as in giving an opinion - is not the same as making Laws though is it?

Does She influence Governments? Of course - she goes back to the days of Churchill and Kennedy and clearly has a huge amount of experience of British (and World) Politics.

Did she stop a Government doing things she didn't like? The Hunting Ban comes to mind. No She didn't because as I have previously posted She can't.

And neither will Charles...

The assumption is that the queen does not meddle in the nation's affairs. Depending on your point of view it would seem from the article that she may have crossed the line from lobbying to meddling.

'Did she stop a Government doing things she didn't like?' - Well, yes she did. She lobbied the Heath government to alter a proposed transparency law, enabling her to hide her private wealth from the public.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I'm instinctively opposed to Monarchy, and get thoroughly peed-off with the facile "we need them for tourism" argument - as if no-one ever visits Paris or New York!

But, another elected leader: Tony Blair? Nigel Farage? Ricky Gervais? Miranda Hart? Yuk.

In spite of my instinctive Republicanism, I'd go for a compromise; keep the Monarchy, but slim it right down by getting rid of all the junior c-list Royals, flunkeys, and the Royal Estates (Balmoral, Sandringham, etc).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
She is not our Leader though is She?

She has a purely advisory role and may well have opinions on all the above which she has shared but Constitutionally she CANNOT do anything against the Government of the Day (which as She hasn't been elected I'm sure Herr T would agree with).

Not looking forward to Charles III it has to be said...
I was listening to a radio interview the other day with a couple of ex soldiers, their view was that when fighting, they were fighting for " Queen and Country " ...they said that if the likes of Johnson had ordered them to fight they probably wouldn't have.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Keep the Monarchy but with diminished responsibilities and profile

As an instinctive Republican, I'd accept that as a compromise. Slim it right down, and also wish that the British public could finally grow out of their forelock-tugging and fawning; it's embarrassing.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The Duke of Westminster is not royalty.

But his wealth and Title came from a Monarch, gifting land to an ancestor, passed to him in the manner of first born son of the previous Duke. I am up for stripping the assets from all those who own their land and wealth by dint of a fiefdom granted by some or other Monarch, usually for some butchery or murder on that Monarchs behalf. They are welcome to the title Duke, Queen, Prince etc.
If we remove the Monarchy, but leave in place the structures Monarchs created to allow certain families to own land no one in their family ever paid anyone to own, we might as well not bother, which is what will happen.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

She is the Queen of Canada too.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But seriously can you imaging if Tony B-liar had been voted as President and his Letter Box model of a wife represented us on the world stage?

You think they're not laughing at our Royal Family re Prince Andrew, Meghan and Harry?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What a strange reply.

Why is it you feel you are superior to the British public?

Perhaps you should be looking to stand at your next local election and do some thing about it?

What would you do? Cull a few that don't meet your standards?

Very good point (even though the contra point is also defensible).

Personally, thinking about it, I would rather have Johnson as head of state than as PM. Makes me thing of Zaphod Beeblebrox, and his election as president of the universe.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I vote NO. Not because I give a toss about the Windsors, but because the British public are ****ing idiots, and would vote an absolute **** like Johnson in as head of state.

Yeah because no other country's population has ever voted in a c*** of a head of state/prime minister in the history of the world. Nope, never. Can't think of one.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Get rid of the Queen? What? And loose all those extra Bank Holidays every 70 years?

Let me stop you there.

A vote is a vote.

And just because the hard left and hard right hate Mr Tony doesn't mean we all do.

And mocking his wife's appearance is a poor look :shrug:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely 100% no. What exactly would the alternative be? What makes anyone think it would be better than what we have now?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yes - because the whole thing of having anybody unelected in a position of authority - even if they have no real power - is wrong and perpetuates the class system which means we get a government of the sort we have at the moment……

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here