Votes: 23 8.6%
  • No.

Votes: 245 91.4%

• Total voters

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
In regard to the tragic events in Texas, would you like to own a hand gun, if it became legal in this country?

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
no, I've fired several guns in my life on ranges and for various stag dos etc. and dont really see the attraction.

have no interest in owning one for sport and would hope we didn't descend into the madness that I need one for protection.

maybe as I have never been burgled or any any altercations I feel that way.

Perhaps a changing culture and landscape in the country would force my hand but that would be very depressing

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
believe you can own a hand gun, kept at a gun club/range. its easier than i thought to get a shotgun too, as long as you are not a criminal or upsetting behaviour. people who want to shot for sport are reasonably able to here.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wouldn't, but if I'd grown up in a culture where an 18th century constitution trumps common sense and I'd been told I needed a gun for my own protection pretty much every day of my childhood, then I probably would.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I do know 2 people, ex servicemen who do own illegal handguns brought back as souvenirs from our foreign wars.

Last I knew, neither had fired them in this country, just kept hidden away in the house.
I really don’t understand why, and I don’t think they do either.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
no, I've fired several guns in my life on ranges and for various stag dos etc. and dont really see the attraction.

have no interest in owning one for sport and would hope we didn't descend into the madness that I need one for protection.

maybe as I have never been burgled or any any altercations I feel that way.

Perhaps a changing culture and landscape in the country would force my hand but that would be very depressing

It's only protection if you are prepared to use it. If you are not prepared to use it you shouldn't carry one.

Guns are prevalent in South Africa and many women I met carried them in their handbags upon their husband's insistence. When asked, none of them would use them but would threaten to use them. They didn't really understand that all that would do is increase the likelihood of themselves being shot and if their handbag was stolen as part of a robbery, they were providing the robber with a weapon that could be used on themselves.

I have never and would never own a gun.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I think the question could be better posed as

“With the way society has evolved over recent years do you feel the NEED to own a gun in order to feel safe?”

Either way for me the answer is no. Have fired .22s the SA 80 (standard issue army weapon) and the automatic LSW as part of school cadet force and whilst fun it certainly bought home to me the ridiculous power you wield on even those low powered weapons.

It’s a No from me Clive…

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No, might want a bulletproof vest though, if handguns were as widely held as in some states of the US.

A friend of mine met up with some other friends from Texas in Las Vegas, the Texans didn't have a case suitable to take their handguns with them so flew without them, and they were apparently really nervous about walking around without one whilst there.
I feel uncomfortable if I forget my phone when I go out, and worry for a while that I might need it in some imagined emergency situation, these guys were like that with guns, but all day long. If I lived in a place where I got nervous to leave the house without a weapon, I think I would move.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
I own guns, but see absolutely no need for a handgun (or any type of semi automatic rifle etc etc)

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I own and use an air rifle (for pest control) and even the damage that can cause would me to say absolutely no. They're the residential nuclear weapons, everyone needs one because the bad guys have them right?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I will add, there have been times in my younger days, when if a handgun had been to hand, I think I would have misused it.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I considered it.
I did my firearm safety course and licensing here in Canada with the aim of then buying both a rifle and handgun for going to the range with friends.
But after completing the courses, I eventually decided against it and currently don’t have much interest in owning one.

So, no.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here