Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Official NSC Dog Bore Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Don't think there's an actual dog owner thread on here, but our four legged friends seem to get a mention on lots of other threads, so I thought I'd start a thread for all dog owning and dog loving type posts and questions in one place. That way we don't have to bore the rest of NSC with our analogies about that time that Fido ate horse poo or whatever.

Training tips, feeding tips, loving RIPs or new puppy purchases, walk routes, equipment reviews, vet reviews, pet insurance and anything related more than welcome.

Politics and personal scores not welcome on here though thanks.

The running thread works like this and is one of the best threads on NSC. Over the years many of us have become friends, raced each other or trained together. Similarly here maybe some help for novices up to and including meeting up for play or walks would be good.

Anyway, I'll kick off. I'm a novice owner but Mrs GB had poodles growing up. We have a eight month old, freshly neutered cockapoo puppy. She chose him and, I suspect, when looking at breed characteristics, only got as far as friendly, good with kids and doesn't shed, conveniently missing out barky, follows you everywhere, gets tremendous zoomies and is a general comedy-based nause. I love him though.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Don't think there's an actual dog owner thread on here, but our four legged friends seem to get a mention on lots of other threads, so I thought I'd start a thread for all dog owning and dog loving type posts and questions in one place. That way we don't have to bore the rest of NSC with our analogies about that time that Fido ate horse poo or whatever.

Training tips, feeding tips, loving RIPs or new puppy purchases, walk routes, equipment reviews, vet reviews, pet insurance and anything related more than welcome.

The running thread works like this and is one of the best threads on NSC. Over the years many of us have become friends, raced each other or trained together. Similarly here maybe some help for novices up to and including meeting up for play or walks would be good.

Anyway, I'll kick off. I'm a novice owner but Mrs GB had poodles growing up. We have a eight month old, freshly neutered cockapoo puppy. She chose him and, I suspect, when looking at breed characteristics, only got as far as friendly, good with kids and doesn't shed, conveniently missing out barky, follows you everywhere, gets tremendous zoomies and is a general comedy-based nause. I love him though.

There's me thinking that you don't hang around in car parks
Only if you read thread title properly :D

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I’ve had dogs in the family all my adult life. The one constant you get from them is unconditional love, always pleased to see you, whatever the circumstances totally welcoming, can be hard work at times but unlike kids they don’t disown you. The relationship of trust you have with your dog is unique, friend, and confidante. Couldn’t live without them, wouldn’t be still alive without them.

BF5809F9-7957-44AA-8174-D2523E1EDA2C.jpeg

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Go on then, I have a 4 year old Toy Poodle (Little Girl) had her from 8 weeks.

The attraction for us is she doesn’t shed her hair ( Yes Poodles have hair not fur apparently) This has helped my wife with various allergies, even her brothers Cockapoo sets her off so if you have allergies stick to poodles or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rool

Jul 10, 2003
We had a staffy we got from Battersea which sadly died last year at 9 years old.
I was devastated and said then I didn't want another but after about 7 months we got a Pomeranian puppy. What a lovely dog she is too, so happy and playful and she absolutely adores us too.
I wasn't a fan of small dogs before but she absolutely suits us and the house we live in.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Mr Dickhead.

I'd recommend the Dog Training Advice and Support group on Facebook. No discussions, just run by professionals who believe in force-free dog training methods. I was able to pay to be in a monthly group where a trainer can answer every concern, problem, query you have, try the next day, more advice. They have a brilliant book available on Amazon too.

He's 2 years old, he was rehomed with us, broke his leg, had a dog bite him, so he's a bit reactive, a bit difficult, huge prey drive, and very quick!! Working hard with him I'm getting somewhere and he is getting much better, more relaxed, more responsive. I did lose him for about 20mins up at Waterhall last week though. :rolleyes:

IMG_7489.jpg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I’ve had dogs in the family all my adult life. The one constant you get from them is unconditional love, always pleased to see you, whatever the circumstances totally welcoming, can be hard work at times but unlike kids they don’t disown you. The relationship of trust you have with your dog is unique, friend, and confidante. Couldn’t live without them, wouldn’t be still alive without them.

View attachment 148204

Lovely image, reminds me of a certain Albion LB ???

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We had a Dober(wo)man in my teens, called Tania, A fantastic dog. we rescued her @ 6 months and she made it until just shy of 12 a god inings for thhe breed.

It wasn't my idea, but we rescued Rocco from Wadurs @ 6 months back in February 2016. . . . Very much part of the family.Rocco.jpg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I had a dog when I was 7.

I killed it. My mother was working nights and had to sleep during the days so I would frequently walk the dog (by then just less than a year old). One day I took her to a playground and thought it would think it was fun to go down a slide with her. On the way up the stairs, she took a bad step and hurt her foot.

Mum took it to the veterinarian who told us that the dog had injured the leg badly in a way that would stop it from growing (the dog was pretty small but was going to grow into a really big one, don't remember the race though) along with the rest of the dog... meaning there were two options: a very complicated surgery that would cost more than my single mother could ever afford, or putting the dog to sleep. We had no choice.

Wasn't great obviously and I was fully aware it was my fault (though my mum obviously blamed herself for letting a young kiddo be in charge of the dog as much as I was).

I hope when I have a stable life I'll get a new dog. I'm more of a cat man but dogs are fantastic as well. A few years ago I was taking care of my friends dog for about a month... a real wild little thing called Goliat who would always pull the leash and stuff, pretty annoying to walk with sometimes. But one night we took a walk to the local "dog walking area" and on the way there I had this urge to talk to him in a more grown up manner. I talked about philosophy, love and society and he just walked close next to me, looking at me. As if he thought "finally someone treats me as something other than a dumb dog!" After that we had a pretty deep relationship and he was always very eager to say hello any time I visited the owners of the dog.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
IMG_0875.JPG

Having had cats for most of my adult life but a dog when I was school age, we took the decision to get a dog the year before last when the last cat sadly passed away. I am trying to slowly adapt is name from Coco to Cucu ...

Obviously we had to get a cat too for equality purposes a month after getting the dog.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
View attachment 148207

Having had cats for most of my adult life but a dog when I was school age, we took the decision to get a dog the year before last when the last cat sadly passed away. I am trying to slowly adapt is name from Coco to Cucu ...

Obviously we had to get a cat too for equality purposes a month after getting the dog.

What breed ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Meet Henry, now approaching five years old. Just where did that time go?

PmL2A7Z.jpg

Henry is a stick addict. No stick is too big.

h2ylUPl.jpg

Nor is there ever too many sticks that can be carried at once.

8scLDJW.jpg

He's a good running buddy too.

WqTRk2t.jpg

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I had a dog when I was 7.

I killed it. My mother was working nights and had to sleep during the days so I would frequently walk the dog (by then just less than a year old). One day I took her to a playground and thought it would think it was fun to go down a slide with her. On the way up the stairs, she took a bad step and hurt her foot.

Mum took it to the veterinarian who told us that the dog had injured the leg badly in a way that would stop it from growing (the dog was pretty small but was going to grow into a really big one, don't remember the race though) along with the rest of the dog... meaning there were two options: a very complicated surgery that would cost more than my single mother could ever afford, or putting the dog to sleep. We had no choice.

Wasn't great obviously and I was fully aware it was my fault (though my mum obviously blamed herself for letting a young kiddo be in charge of the dog as much as I was).

I hope when I have a stable life I'll get a new dog. I'm more of a cat man but dogs are fantastic as well. A few years ago I was taking care of my friends dog for about a month... a real wild little thing called Goliat who would always pull the leash and stuff, pretty annoying to walk with sometimes. But one night we took a walk to the local "dog walking area" and on the way there I had this urge to talk to him in a more grown up manner. I talked about philosophy, love and society and he just walked close next to me, looking at me. As if he thought "finally someone treats me as something other than a dumb dog!" After that we had a pretty deep relationship and he was always very eager to say hello any time I visited the owners of the dog.

Wow

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Meet Henry, now approaching five years old. Just where did that time go?

PmL2A7Z.jpg

Henry is a stick addict. No stick is too big.

h2ylUPl.jpg

Nor is there ever too many sticks that can be carried at once.

8scLDJW.jpg

He's a good running buddy too.

WqTRk2t.jpg

Gorgeous dog

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here