Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] American mass shootings

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Klass is your personal google search engine limited?

The links PF provided relate to censorship I mentioned in my first post, basically conservatives seeking to ban books mainly by/about marginalised people. More or less the opposite of the conclusion you drew.
The link relating to Dickens (and Shakespeare) was about negative portrayals of Jewish people and from New York.

As mentioned though, perhaps this isn't the place for this.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
A few days on and the utter RAGE this whole thing is filling me with is hard to explain.

These shootings always hit me hard but for some reason, it just feels like this is the one that's broken my back. The sheer helplessness I feel over something I have absolutely no ability to effect. It's not even in my own country and perhaps that's the issue. Just sitting here, watching Cruz and his mob claim this issue shouldn't be turned into politics because they KNOW they have no way of defending how someone can legally obtain these killing machines and gun down CHILDREN. Little, innocent, joyful CHILDREN. The fact that by the hour their argument of "a good guy with a gun" is the way of defeating a shooter is being DESTROYED by further news that the gunman managed to bypass the good guys with the guns. The sheer desperation of suggesting TEACHERS (my wife teaches Early Years) should have guns. The inability to even DARE concede that SOMETHING might be wrong. The NONSENSE argument that "the kid would have just got the guns on the black market anyway". Yes, there's a black market....and a gunlike the ones's these people choose to use is BLOODY EXPENSIVE. The desperation to somehow ignore the fact that the 2nd amendment can be changed....BECAUSE IT'S AN AMENDMENT.

I left home yesterday for a little walk around lunchtime and I heard the noise of the kids at playtime at the local school. Utter JOY in their voices, I wobbled. I watched the reaction of my wife when the news told of the teacher gunned down protecting her class. I felt sick.

I appreciate I have added NOTHING to this thread but I needed a void to shout into as frankly I just want to shout in frustration at people's utter selfishness and stupidity. Tragedy happens every day, all across the world. But when politician's PATHETIC denial of the issue and self-preservation comes above the lives of little children and the families left behind, it drives me to utter anger and frustration.

Apologies for the rant.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The links PF provided relate to censorship I mentioned in my first post, basically conservatives seeking to ban books mainly by/about marginalised people. More or less the opposite of the conclusion you drew.
The link relating to Dickens (and Shakespeare) was about negative portrayals of Jewish people and from New York.

As mentioned though, perhaps this isn't the place for this.

Exactly old love, a bit like the wrestling all this falling out on line is not really true to life, we could walk past each other at the Amex and not know it.

You can come and work with me for a week and you won't have to turn on the TV or go on line to see genuine people with extremely sad life situations.

Like I said enjoy your weekend.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No thank you, first and foremost can I correct you, I’m not waging a war on woke, I’m nearly 58, been in my profession looking after people for 35 years, I’ve a comfortable life, after a blip with my mental health in the last couple of years looking forward to an enjoyable retirement watching the Albion, 49 years and counting, and hopefully Grandchildren eventually joining me at the Amex and beyond.

However I like many others of my generation, and no doubt on NSC, I’m concerned about the generations below me, how life is for them in certain aspects and how a number of issues are now perceived.

My original discovery about the Dickens came from a chance meeting in Epcot, Walt Disney World this March with a family from Chicago which included an English Literature teacher for Grade 7 and 8.

The people in Chicago are very clever with their words, as was Dr Goebbels, the works of Charles Dickens, Robert Louis Stevenson and Jonathan Swift are considered obsolete, the thinking is that the required literature should be culturally representative of the served population. When I pressed her further she said they all represented ‘white privilege’.

I asked the Teacher therefore if a young lad in her class wanted the group to study ‘Great Expectations’ he would be told that was not possible, that old boy is a ban whichever way you dress it up.

Might be because there are some stereotypes in Dickens around Jewish characters, that Goebbels would have advocated, that maybe he is deemed unsuitable for younger minds.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It isn't a gun problem, it's a doors problem. Ted Cruz is spot on, get rid of the doors and it's problem solved. No need for multiple entrances and exits to schools anyway, they should all only have one entrance/exit point.

And the fire brigade can shut up, before they start yapping.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
It isn't a gun problem, it's a doors problem. Ted Cruz is spot on, get rid of the doors and it's problem solved. No need for multiple entrances and exits to schools anyway, they should all only have one entrance/exit point.

This is, possibly, one of the worst ideas I have ever heard in my life.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The USA is so different from anything we can imagine outside of the large urban areas it’s still very much the Wild West where the gun culture is very much alive and kicking with hunting being a way of life for many.
Having said that they are mad as hatters the police appear to be gun happy, this shooting will not change a thing sadly

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
NRA conference going ahead in Houston, Texas, right now with Donald Trump and Ted Cruz attending. Disgusting doesn't even begin to cover it. Shame on you American idiots

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
NRA conference going ahead in Houston, Texas, right now with Donald Trump and Ted Cruz attending. Disgusting doesn't even begin to cover it. Shame on you American idiots

It is disgusting. Another disgusting thing is that historically after mass gun shootings the sale of guns in the US always increases.

Some Americans now saying that in the Ukraine invasion the first thing the Russians did was to take away the weapons of Ukrainians, therefore Americans have even more right to own guns. That logic is beyond belief

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The USA is so different from anything we can imagine outside of the large urban areas it’s still very much the Wild West where the gun culture is very much alive and kicking with hunting being a way of life for many.
Having said that they are mad as hatters the police appear to be gun happy, this shooting will not change a thing sadly

Not that gun-happy while they were allegedly waiting outside while this was all going on.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
This really makes a mockery of the idea of having security guards with guns at the scene to solve the problem.

Doesn't it just. I'm ashamed to say I've mostly been avoiding news about this tragic event. What with things right now, in my life and the world, I just can't deal with reading about those poor, poor children.
This story has seeped through though. WTF were these ARMED police officers doing?
It's a standard response from the right leaning gun maniacs that perhaps if there were armed guards knocking around schools this kind of thing wouldn't happen. Apparently armed police doesn't stop it either.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Doesn't it just. I'm ashamed to say I've mostly been avoiding news about this tragic event. What with things right now, in my life and the world, I just can't deal with reading about those poor, poor children.
This story has seeped through though. WTF were these ARMED police officers doing?
It's a standard response from the right leaning gun maniacs that perhaps if there were armed guards knocking around schools this kind of thing wouldn't happen. Apparently armed police doesn't stop it either.

Yeah I agree, I need to stop reading about it and let it go. As a primary school teacher myself (not that that makes much difference - although I found myself thinking about it at work yesterday) it is really upsetting me and the frustration and anger I am feeling about the fact that nothing will change is not healthy. Sadly this has to go in the stuff I can't change box and I need to focus on something more positive.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nothing the rest of the world is surprised about

[tweet]1530208114171166722[/tweet]

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Better still, have no entrance or exit. If kids can't get into school, they can't get shot there.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
[tweet]1530357140191186944[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nothing will ever change, American's just don't get it

[tweet]1530305372401156101[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here