Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Do you take an actual LUNCH HOUR?

Do you take a full hour break for lunch?

• Yes, always

Votes: 38 26.0%
  • No, never

Votes: 72 49.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 36 24.7%

• Total voters

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Most days I do, currently enjoying lunch.

Will usually eat something whilst watching TV or sometimes walk round the block if it's nice.

I do sometimes check Slack or emails just in case world has gone mad, but usually just chill out for a bit.

I get pretty peeved if someone books meetings over lunch.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’ve pretty much always WFH’d , I might take a full hour if I take the dog out, but more likely to take 30mins and maybe some 15mins dotted around to run errands or just do something else

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
No never, from the moment I get to work anywhere between 8:30 - 9am I work through solidly until 5 or just after, I simply do not get time, occasionally I will walk to the shop and get something to eat, but mainly I eat at the desk. I am usually on my own since another member of staff retired and the boss has not replaced him.
I often wonder am I entitled to an hour a day and could I claim that back over 12 years.

You finish at 5. You lucky lucky *******

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes, always.

Either to meet my wife somewhere for a coffee, or to pick her up from the shops, or to come home and chill out for a while.

Lucky to work 5 minutes from home.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Most days I do, currently enjoying lunch.

Will usually eat something whilst watching TV or sometimes walk round the block if it's nice.

I do sometimes check Slack or emails just in case world has gone mad, but usually just chill out for a bit.

I get pretty peeved if someone books meetings over lunch.

Top Tip: book yourself a recurring hour in your own calendar at the time you usually take lunch.

I've got three of these in my calendar: a half hour at the very start and very end of the day and then the lunch hour.

It's flexible of course; if someone gets in touch to ask if I can attend I usually do but it's absolutely cut down the amount of inconvenient meetings.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
When I'm in the office I usually take a lunch hour as I go for walk around Kings Cross down the canal, and then come back to eat. When I'm at home I eat and work, check for some non league, send a few emails to Paul Barber, you know the usual stuff.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Meeting scheduling software killed the concept of any kind of lunch break at all for many. In fact for some it killed the concept of a break to get any work done between meetings. So work somehow became something do be done after work on the train and/or at home in evenings and at weekends

ever thought to schedule meetings to cover lunch, or to do that peice of work you want to finish?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I only ever had 30 minutes unless it was something special. When I worked flexi time, I liked getting in early, taking my lunch break at 12, and leaving at 16.30,

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We can take more if we wish, but a 30 min break is the minimum expectation.

Our overall manager once told a fairly senior staff member off after discovering that said staff member had worked through their supposed lunch break the previous day.

It is a legal requirement to be away from the desk for 20 minutes minimum, unless there is an emergency/

https://www.acas.org.uk/rest-breaks

Jul 7, 2003
It varies depending on my work schedule. I block out an hour each day but this often gets ignored by people trying to setup meeting but will always take a minimum 30 break, but sometimes it is earlier or later than the traditional lunch time. I try to take an hour at least once a week as it is good to get away from wherever I am working

It works both ways as if I have something to do in the evening - such as an Albion game - it allows me to finish earlier

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Has varied on the job. At some places I have taken 2-3hr lunches in order to fit in some kind of exercise (yoga, climbing, bike ride, swim or gym), whilst others have been a quick 15-30min scoff - enabling me to leave a tad earlier!

I'm currently able to set my own hours and typically work 7.30-11, before taking an exercise break and then working 13.30 - 17.00. Works well for me, but perhaps not for everyone!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's odd that most people in offices who sit on their arses all day still seem to get a lunch hour when people who do real work get far less. :whistle:

Having done both, the break is usually the opposite of the work !

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Don’t get me started on the ones that heat, then eat their lunch whilst chatting to colleagues and then go for a full hour lunch.

Often the ones who said they came in early (to heat and eat their f****** breakfast and chat to their mum on the phone)!!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm actually entitled to an hour and half lunch break, due to working hours etc...
Never actually complete the whole lot, as get bored.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yes. I've always made sure I get that hour every day.

When I was in the office I used to go for a walk or go to the gym. If the weather was crap I'd go and sit in a coffee shop for an hour. Since working from home I still try and do that walk, go for a run, or run some errands.

I've never understood people who just work through the whole day without a proper break. I honestly think I get more done with that hour break to take my mind away from work.

There is the odd day when it's packed with meetings or there's a software release when I don't get that full hour. It's very much the exception though.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
During my entire career I almost always took the allotted break, the exception being if I got stuck on something that I couldn't leave and had to finish; on those occasions I would finish early.
Now I'm retired and can do as I like I tend to stop for food then carry on doing whatever I was doing before (today I'm stripping out some fitted cupboards)

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
i've never worked anywhere with an hour for lunch- always half an hour

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here