Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mendy and Zouma ...why did the police wait til now ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Its rather an odd coincidence in my book that two serious offences end up being on the back burner until the day after the last game of the season ? What were the police waiting for ? Obviously I'm not going to speculate on the offences but it just seems really odd that there is movement 24 hours after the season ends..

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Its rather an odd coincidence in my book that two serious offences end up being on the back burner until the day after the last game of the season ? What were the police waiting for ? Obviously I'm not going to speculate on the offences but it just seems really odd that there is movement 24 hours after the season ends..

I think in the case of Mendy, it is a coincidence, because cases going through court are scheduled quite a way ahead. It was a Plea and Trial Preparation hearing after being sent from the Magistrates Court.
He was suspended so not playing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-61553299

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The Mendy case certainly hasn’t been on the back burner, he spent months remanded in custody and was only released on bail providing he stayed at his home address and surrendered his passport. He was effectively under house arrest. He was also suspended by City as soon as he was charged in August last year. The police can't control when someone ends up in court to answer charges.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Neither the police nor the CPS, prosecute RSPCA cases, as they have their own prosecution lawyers.

[tweet]1528733364353650688[/tweet]

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
The Mandy one has been dealt with repeatedly during the season. Including being charged (more than once) being remanded and then being released. This is probably the least ‘interesting’ update of the lot. If anyone was going to wait to hold back on news it wouldn’t have been this one they waited to deal with.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not guilty - Mendy - long old trial… wonder if he’ll play again?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I'd expect so, people who have been found guilty and gone to prison have found clubs after serving time.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Couple of cases verdict not reached on so may end up in a retrial. Expect he’ll find someone to sign him if he ends up not guilty of the lot

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not completely two charges the jury couldn't decide on.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ah apologies - I only read the headline. One of those where only those involved actually know the truth - disrespectful at best towards females.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ah apologies - I only read the headline. One of those where only those involved actually know the truth - disrespectful at best towards females.
Jurors could not reach verdicts on one count of rape and one of attempted rape, following a six-month trial at Chester Crown Court.
The prosecution sought a retrial on those counts and it has been scheduled for 26 June.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
You would hope those that made up the stories be held accountable for this young man if and when cleared of everything

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You would hope those that made up the stories be held accountable for this young man if and when cleared of everything
Is it made up if a jury are not unanimous ? Or can’t come to a decision?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think that what this case really shows is how difficult it is to prosecute rape and sexual related crimes in this country generally, it's a big problem. I'm not commenting on the case at all or suggestion guilt or innocence, we simply don't know - but this certainly won't be helpful for any women considering reporting a sexual based crime.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
It's not necessarily the case the stories were made up but that the evidence wasn't compelling enough to leave no doubt in the jury's mind. Rape is a very hard thing to prove as there are usually no other witnesses.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Not guilty does not mean innocent. It simply means that he could not be found guilty beyond reasonable doubt. Having reasonable doubt about his innocence does not mean that there is sufficient evidence to accuse anyone of making up stories. I have not followed the case so I am only talking in general terms.

A simple example being Jay Rodriguez and Gaetan Bong. Just because Rodriguez was cleared of saying anything racist to Bong does not mean bong should face any action over making the allegation.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Not guilty does not mean innocent. It simply means that he could not be found guilty beyond reasonable doubt. Having reasonable doubt about his innocence does not mean that there is sufficient evidence to accuse anyone of making up stories. I have not followed the case so I am only talking in general terms.

A simple example being Jay Rodriguez and Gaetan Bong. Just because Rodriguez was cleared of saying anything racist to Bong does not mean bong should face any action over making the allegation.
bit different with Bong as he alleged the comments and everyone knew all sides and all parties.

If the allegations are proved false then you would hope the girls would be held account as this could wreck his life

Best stop there as will be more court things in June

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
bit different with Bong as he alleged the comments and everyone knew all sides and all parties.

If the allegations are proved false then you would hope the girls would be held account as this could wreck his life

Best stop there as will be more court things in June
"Proved false", there's been no mention from the judge questioning their accounts or integrity.

This boils down to whether the jury was convinced beyond reasonable doubt that Mendy and his sidekick raped.

There are retrials to come, so hold your internet horses.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

The Old school way used to be " Innocent until proven Guilty , so, Not Guilty verdicts confirm being innocent unless there is a retrial and subsequent Guilty verdicts.

Legally you can't keep trying people until you get the verdict you want, that way lies China, Russia and Iran. Mr Mendy is currently innocent and will remain that way. He can't be innocent but Guilty at the same time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here