Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Return of fencing? Point deductions?.......

What, if anything can/will be done with the recent pitch invasions and attacks? Something will be done about it as its become a dangerous situation for players and staff of clubs. Another assault yesterday on a player at the Etihad despite the previous assaults in past week. Is it inevitable that fencing may be forced back into our stadiums?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No doubt the party of law and order will go back in time, to resurrect the old Thatcher idea of football ID cards as a start, plus tougher sentences.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
No need for fencing,fines are useless,instant point deductions for clubs of both home and away teams if their fans are involved in pitch invasions even if that means automatic relegation from whatever league that club is in no matter who they are or what league they're in.

It has to stop,and that is the only way these idiots will stop doing it if the consequences are made 100% clear and carried out.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Never fencing.

I think Man City should have to play the first few home games behind closed doors for what happenned to Olson. That might concentrate minds elsewhere. If not, further stadium closures

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well, I got a bit of stick in 2016 and 2017 when I hoped we'd never see one at the Amex. We did and it went without incident, but the writing has been on the wall that every playoff success, promotion clincher, title winner gets a pitch invasion, 20000 people running on a football pitch, generally full of spirits (and beers) is always going to be asking for trouble.

Given Brighton players copped it big time in 2016 at the Riverside, it's amazing that suddenly opposition players getting abuse is a new phenomenon. I don't ever remember pitch invasions being a thing in the top flight for title victories.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well, I got a bit of stick in 2016 and 2017 when I hoped we'd never see one at the Amex. We did and it went without incident, but the writing has been on the wall that every playoff success, promotion clincher, title winner gets a pitch invasion, 20000 people running on a football pitch, generally full of spirits (and beers) is always going to be asking for trouble.

Given Brighton players copped it big time in 2016 at the Riverside, it's amazing that suddenly opposition players getting abuse is a new phenomenon. I don't ever remember pitch invasions being a thing in the top flight for title victories.

Before the Middlesboro game even - the Derby fans were utter scum to our beaten players, at the end of the play-off semi defeat, 2 seasons earlier.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
5 game Behind Closed Doors penalty for clubs whose supporters invade the pitch, with 2 of those BCD games suspended for a first offence but added to the penalty for any further invasions.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Use existing Laws to arrest, prosecute and then if found guilty put them away?

Guilty meaning a life ban from attending games obviously.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Points deductions. Fines and behind closed doors games won't do anything.

And why not arm the stewards with cattle prods? These little beauties would soon restore a bit of order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY4KVFrTJPc

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Use existing Laws to arrest, prosecute and then if found guilty put them away?

Guilty meaning a life ban from attending games obviously.

the crowd dont recognise the risk on assumption they wont be identified and fined. maybe if there is a round of them in the coming month might address it. however i exepect there'll be a lot of pressure to be seen to do something more and we'll have some closed games, points deduction rules put in for the next season.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Firstly, appoint Stewards fit enough to catch anyone running, not the fat old geezers usually seen. Secondly, if they held netting between Stewards (rather than leaving gaps) they may actually catch someone.

But yes I like the Wembley idea

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Points deductions is some dumb shit as its not particularly difficult to pretend to be a fan of a team and get that team punished.

Best solution to get rid of all the hypothetical dangers of life and society would be to have us all hooked up on some kind of machine 24/7 simulating our realities.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Firstly, appoint Stewards fit enough to catch anyone running, not the fat old geezers usually seen. Secondly, if they held netting between Stewards (rather than leaving gaps) they may actually catch someone.

But yes I like the Wembley idea

I get your point, but the sight of an overweight and unfit steward chasing after a lone pitch invader, who repeatedly gives him the slip, is highly amusing. One of this things I miss from football. This, and the 4 St John’s stretcher carriers who were seemingly all chosen due to their extreme mismatch in heights and body shapes.

SAC

May 21, 2014
No doubt the party of law and order will go back in time, to resurrect the old Thatcher idea of football ID cards as a start, plus tougher sentences.

We were all against ID cards but it's pretty quite difficult to get into a PL football match without the club knowing your details.

Bans for the people behaving badly and a match behind closed doors for the club for not controlling the fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here