Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Additional TV money for 9th place

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just seen compared to 15th place our 9th place is worth an additional £15m to the club. This is over half of our seasons gate receipts Just incredible sums involved in PL and a big part of me thinks with gate money playing such a small part of income there is no justification in present costs of tickets

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Just seen compared to 15th place our 9th place is worth an additional £15m to the club. This is over half of our seasons gate receipts Just incredible sums involved in PL and a big part of me thinks with gate money playing such a small part of income there is no justification in present costs of tickets

The amount we pay for a ST or Match Ticket includes the travel subsidiary, without it, tickets would cost 2p.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020

So we're either charging too little on the gate to make much difference or we pay too much which should mean it does make a difference. Which is it?

And if £15M is over half of a season's gate money then I'd say £30M it's quite important.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

It's not far off being equivalent to a season's gate receipts! I seem to remember a figure of something like 17-18m.

el punal

Try discussing the cost of our season tickets with Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea fans. I’m sure they’ll enlighten you about your view on justification of ticket prices.

Oh, by the way, there is the small matter of the club paying back Tony Bloom the millions he loaned the club for a state of the art stadium and training ground.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Try discussing the cost of our season tickets with Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea fans. I’m sure they’ll enlighten you about your view on justification of ticket prices.

Oh, by the way, there is the small matter of the club paying back Tony Bloom the millions he loaned the club for a state of the art stadium and training ground.

As I understand it TB doesn't want anything back for these though I'm sure he wouldn't say no to something for the rest of the money he's put into the club for players etc.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
The amount we pay for a ST or Match Ticket includes the travel subsidiary, without it, tickets would cost 2p.

There really is an ignorance about the travel surcharge REBATE that some fans benefit from.

When I purchased my Season ticket before Falmer opened it was clearly stated that the ticket price included a travel Surcharge, indeed the last paper ticket I purchased for a Grandson clearly stated the cost included a £4 travel sucharge .

Also the travel zone is of particular benefit to people from as far as Eastbourne but useless to many areas in mid West Sussex.

However I am reassured to know I benefit from the footpaths around the ground (PB told me so)

It is like people calling invoices from parking spivs "Fines", call it for what it is, a rebate( and if you are training it in from Worthing or Eastbourne one subsidised by the likes of me)

Last edited:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
As mentioned on another thread :

Position Prize money
1st £44 million
2nd £41.8 million
3rd £39.6 million
4th £37.4 million
5th £35.2 million
6th £33 million
7th £30.8 million
8th £28.6 million
9th £26.4 million
10th £24.2 million
11th £22 million
12th £19.8 million
13th £17.6 million
14th £15.4 million
15th £13.2 million
16th £11 million
17th £8.8 million
18th £6.6 million
19th £4.4 million
20th £2.2 million

As you may have spotted in the table of prize money, Premier League clubs receive an extra £2.2m for each position higher up the table.

Aside from sporting prestige, the greatest incentive for clubs to reach for and stay in the Premier League remains the vast TV money on offer.

Half of the TV jackpot is split evenly between the clubs, which gave each side around £84m during the 2021/22 Premier League season.

A quarter is used as prize money — officially called merit payments — and a quarter is divided up according to various factors, including how often clubs have appeared in televised games.

Last edited:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

I actually think the ticket prices as a Brighton STH are pretty reasonable. My ST works out at £28.55 per game (including travel), with away tickets capped at £30 (and often cheaper).

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Interesting to read the various proposals for how to use the PL prize fund money, from reducing ticket prices, to squad strengthening, to repaying part of the owner's investment and everything else in-between.

But in reality I expect PB had about 25 missed calls on his phone this morning from players' agents, asking when their fifty-grand-a-week clients can expect their share of the booty in their pay packets.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Interesting to read the various proposals for how to use the PL prize fund money, from reducing ticket prices, to squad strengthening, to repaying part of the owner's investment and everything else in-between.

But in reality I expect PB had about 25 missed calls on his phone this morning from players' agents, asking when their fifty-grand-a-week clients can expect their share of the booty in their pay packets.

They already know what they will get, every permanent staff member is on a bonus related to final position. All will know what bonus % they can look forward too

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

2p, or not 2p?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

As per the post from [MENTION=43146]wuntbedruv[/MENTION] every permanent member of staff gets a bonus related to our final league position.

On top of that agents won't be making those phone calls as all bonus paid to players have to be declared in their contracts, it's why clubs have previously found themselves in trouble for daring to buy players McDonalds after a win as it's considered a non contractual bonus payment which is a big no no as far as the football powers that be are concerned.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co....n-andy-holt-defends-buying-mcdonalds-burgers/

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
As per the post from [MENTION=43146]wuntbedruv[/MENTION] every permanent member of staff gets a bonus related to our final league position.

On top of that agents won't be making those phone calls as all bonus paid to players have to be declared in their contracts, it's why clubs have previously found themselves in trouble for daring to buy players McDonalds after a win as it's considered a non contractual bonus payment which is a big no no as far as the football powers that be are concerned.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co....n-andy-holt-defends-buying-mcdonalds-burgers/

Is that why Rainieri made such a thing of him buying his squad pizza?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There really is an ignorance about the travel surcharge REBATE that some fans benefit from.

When I purchased my Season ticket before Falmer opened it was clearly stated that the ticket price included a travel Surcharge, indeed the last paper ticket I purchased for a Grandson clearly stated the cost included a £4 travel sucharge .

Also the travel zone is of particular benefit to people from as far as Eastbourne but useless to many areas in mid West Sussex.

I live - in Sussex - outside of the travel zone but have to travel across it to reach Falmer - hence i benefit from it. its not the same as if i lived in Hove or Eastbourne or Seaford or Haywards Heath but not sure why if you don't , Its "useless".

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Is that why Rainieri made such a thing of him buying his squad pizza?

I don't know the Ranieri story but in the case of the linked story i included in my post the reason Accrington Stanley fell foul of the rules is the meals were only purchased when the team won, so they were considered a non contractual winning bonus. If a manager wants to buy his team a meal after the game, he can, he just has to make sure he doesn't only do it when they win. And that the players keep shtum about it on social media.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here