Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Guardian Reviews of the Season

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Before we (I) spend hours (days) getting annoyed about how unappreciated we are by the media, I thought it would be good to share these 3 (now 4) Guardian reviews of the season. Makes for good reading:

Players of the Season:
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...r-league-2021-22-review-players-of-the-season

Managers of the Season:
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-league-2021-22-review-managers-of-the-season

Goals of the Season:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/23/premier-league-2021-22-review-goals-of-the-season

Signing of the Season:
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-league-2021-22-review-signings-of-the-season

Nice to see some early recognition

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Love this in "Goals of the Season" piece

Given how freely their defence concedes them, goals against United shouldn’t count for the purposes of this list.

:lolol:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Am I being overly fussy in wishing they (being: the media) could get through literally any piece praising our players/manager without devoting a chunk of it to mentioning how we'll be lucky to hold onto said players/manager? I'm struggling to find the part where they link Thomas Frank with a top 6 job, for example.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm struggling to find the part where they link Thomas Frank with a top 6 job, for example.

1. He's had just the one PL season. Time will tell if he was riding the wave of leading a new yet-to-be-found-out team, or is the real deal.

2. He comes across as a bit of a prick, unlike our humble gaffer.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Am I being overly fussy in wishing they (being: the media) could get through literally any piece praising our players/manager without devoting a chunk of it to mentioning how we'll be lucky to hold onto said players/manager? I'm struggling to find the part where they link Thomas Frank with a top 6 job, for example.

Will be ever thus. Leeds spend 15 years outside the PL and moment they’re back the media hype is unreal rather than “PL new boys”

For #teams like Brighton we will always be #teams like Brighton unless we a) get a 40k stadium and regularly fill b) win trophy after trophy for a ten year period at least. And stay in top flight for another 75 years. None of which are likely.

So accept media bias, it’s there and always will be especially when todays pundits never played against us during their heyday because we were checking out Stockport, Wrexham, Southend, Chesterfield etc ie we just don’t figure on their radar!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Perhaps you should wait 2 more full seasons.

I'll hazard a guess if Frank and Brentford are still in the EPL you may well.be writing:-

'Frank this Frank that, what about GPott'.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
1. He's had just the one PL season. Time will tell if he was riding the wave of leading a new yet-to-be-found-out team, or is the real deal.

He is also Danish rather than English and not a former star player, both things preventing him from getting the Gerrard/Lampard/Parker treatment where he (barely) needs to exist in order to be linked with clubs.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Enjoyed this wonderfully snide aside in the manager of the season section:

Howe’s initial refusal to answer questions on Saudi Arabia, parroting a mantra that he concentrates on football, was unconvincing. The game, a geopolitical counterpoint, ought to be seen in the round. Perhaps he could use the close season to continue his research and deep thinking on such issues.

I wish some of the pundits on radio and TV would occasionally drop in something along these lines when waxing lyrical on the amazing job he's done, though I'm not holding my breath when it comes to Shearer.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Enjoyed this wonderfully snide aside in the manager of the season section:

Howe’s initial refusal to answer questions on Saudi Arabia, parroting a mantra that he concentrates on football, was unconvincing. The game, a geopolitical counterpoint, ought to be seen in the round. Perhaps he could use the close season to continue his research and deep thinking on such issues.

I wish some of the pundits on radio and TV would occasionally drop in something along these lines when waxing lyrical on the amazing job he's done, though I'm not holding my breath when it comes to Shearer.

I'm sure it'll come into sharp focus when he's binned off and replaced with a marquee manager

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Regarding number 2. Really? ???
He seems ok to me.

For a minute I thought you might be getting your Thomas's confused, but can't be that as the other one comes across as so much more than just a bit of a prick.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Regarding number 2. Really? ???
He seems ok to me.

For a minute I thought you might be getting your Thomas's confused, but can't be that as the other one comes across as so much more than just a bit of a prick.

I thought that. I always thought he was just a really passionate and talkative manager. He gives some really expansive interviews and seems quite fun

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Looking at a top 7 team yesterday (WHU) I am fairly confident that we have better players in most positions than them. OK, they were a bit knackered after their European adventure, but there was a notable lack of quality, once you take Rice, Bowen and Antonio out of the equation. Stating the bleeding obvious, we need to keep this team together (excl Biss, obviously)....next season is going to be tougher!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Looking at a top 7 team yesterday (WHU) I am fairly confident that we have better players in most positions than them. OK, they were a bit knackered after their European adventure, but there was a notable lack of quality, once you take Rice, Bowen and Antonio out of the equation. Stating the bleeding obvious, we need to keep this team together (excl Biss, obviously)....next season is going to be tougher!

They scored 60 to our 42. I agree, in defence and knocking it around the midfield, we're the better side. But they certainly deserved to finish above us, as they scored consistently through the season, and for us, it really only clicked in front of goal in the last few weeks

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I agree. West ham are a basic team. Without being too pretensious I think we are a lot more advanced than them. They Massively overachieved this season.

Crap defence crap goalie. Crap bench.

Would hope to finish above them next season.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
The Guardian's football journalism including their weekly podcasts (well worth a listen) is consistently good and very fair about us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here