Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Veltman v Antonio

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What a tussle between these two today, which our man won hands down.

It was the spirit of the competition though - hard, physical and skilful but devoid of any play-acting histrionics.

They repeatedly gave each other appreciation for the other's play and then just got right back down to it again.

All credit to Antonio for not making a meal of one Veltman challenge which could have seen a yellow card come the Dutchman's way (although the ref was very card-shy today). Antonio quickly pulled himself and carried on, accepting an apologetic tap from Veltman as he jogged by.

Football how it should be played.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Veltman out muscled him a couple of times. Astonishing when you look at the size of Antonio. He’s a beast.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The brick outhouse did fall over a lot though

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
What a tussle between these two today, which our man won hands down.

It was the spirit of the competition though - hard, physical and skilful but devoid of any play-acting histrionics.

They repeatedly gave each other appreciation for the other's play and then just got right back down to it again.

All credit to Antonio for not making a meal of one Veltman challenge which could have seen a yellow card come the Dutchman's way (although the ref was very card-shy today). Antonio quickly pulled himself and carried on, accepting an apologetic tap from Veltman as he jogged by.

Football how it should be played.

Absolutely. Was a good old fashioned battle without the Gravity Whore histrionics and turf magnet acting. Antonio is a unit, Veltman did exceptionally well to keep him under wraps.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Does it really get much more physical than marking Antonio?

Guns, washboard stomach, pecs of stone and bulging muscled thighs. Wow, what a specimen of a man.

A specimen you can now find in Joel’s pocket!

Last edited by a moderator:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Absolutely. Was a good old fashioned battle without the Gravity Whore histrionics and turf magnet acting. Antonio is a unit, Veltman did exceptionally well to keep him under wraps.

You do have to ask why this can't happen every week - a few well deployed yellow cards for the Mr Tumble's of this world perhaps?

Last edited:

Snowflake

Jan 11, 2018
Veltman is a tough nut and certainly picks up the Duffy mantle . I get the impression he likes a good mix up. At least one black eye this season. I think he’s fantastic.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Great view of it first half from block D of NS.

Antonio’s only bit of joy was from the other side.

The Dutch Master was brilliant, an old fashioned man marking job.

I thought I saw Rice trying to influence Friend about the ‘unfairness’ of it all.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It was a wonderful thing to see, Antonio was getting frustrated, which was great and funny, and absolutely there seemed to be a grudging repspect between the two players, sometimes you’ve simply met your match.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Guns and tree trunk thighs are no match for anticipation and know how.

Veltman easily my man of the match

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Veltman is a tough nut and certainly picks up the Duffy mantle . I get the impression he likes a good mix up. At least one black eye this season. I think he’s fantastic.

Veltman was, imho, very much our unsung hero of the season. A quiet but consistent performer who never goes missing. It was great to see him score today and hear him say "see you next season".

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

He’s had several black eyes now playing for us. He even managed to get one in a behind closed doors friendly against Portsmouth, which I think was his first experience of English football. He’s a definite for the you need 7 ready to kick off at a moment notice.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Veltman won the battle, but if there is one player that has a physically tough season it is Antonio - sole striker in a long season including a demanding European cup run. He has truly earned his summer break.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Veltman was, imho, very much our unsung hero of the season. A quiet but consistent performer who never goes missing. It was great to see him score today and hear him say "see you next season".

There are lots of good observations in the comments above, but yours resonated. He never, ever, goes missing. He does the grunt work, game in, game out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here