Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Tennis [emoji462] The French open

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Starts Sunday 10am can NADAL win it again ? All the action live on Eurosport TV or discovery+

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
At what point will sick note Raducanu pull out with a sprained little toe???

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Starts Sunday 10am can NADAL win it again ? All the action live on Eurosport TV or discovery+

Are the French following the lead of he LTA, and not accepting players from Russia and Belarus. If they're not, I for one won't be watching!

Not that I'd be watching anyway ............... it's tennis, FFS!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Alcaraz has looked sensational all year, down from odds of 10.0 a couple of months ago to 3.0 now. Looks the man to beat. Nadal's foot injury means he won't get near the final imo. Hard to suggest who the other finalist may be from that side of the draw.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Radacanu wimpers out, won the first set but looked really sloppy going down 6-1,6-1 in sets 2 and 3.

Lots of work to do to maintain a top 20 position you’d think

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Radacanu wimpers out, won the first set but looked really sloppy going down 6-1,6-1 in sets 2 and 3.

Lots of work to do to maintain a top 20 position you’d think
I watched the whole match. She has two issues as far as I can see. Firstly, she's not physically strong enough at the moment - I think this can be explained by the niggly injuries she's picked up since her US Open win. The second is a mental problem. You can just see her head drop when she loses the key points. In the final set she had 3 points to break her opponent's service game and failed to take any of them. Had she taken one, I doubt she'd have crumpled in the manner she did. At the highest level, you have to be able to block out the disappointment of failing to break serve and then take care of business on your own service game.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
This is a very disappointing result for Emma but I don't think we need to get too carried away in disappointment. It took Novak Djokovic a long time to put all his pieces together and he's been dominant for a long time. Emma is struggling to get her preparations right, physically she's not quite right either and her team isn't settled yet. She seems a very intelligent young woman and no doubt she'll work out what she wants and needs but I wouldn't expect anything of her in terms of tournament wins for another year or two after she's had the opportunity to play on the tour for an extended period of time to get her fitness right, get matches under her belt and have a settled team behind the scenes.

Knocking off this Tottenham-supporting streak would be an advantage too!

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I watched the whole match. She has two issues as far as I can see. Firstly, she's not physically strong enough at the moment - I think this can be explained by the niggly injuries she's picked up since her US Open win. The second is a mental problem. You can just see her head drop when she loses the key points. In the final set she had 3 points to break her opponent's service game and failed to take any of them. Had she taken one, I doubt she'd have crumpled in the manner she did. At the highest level, you have to be able to block out the disappointment of failing to break serve and then take care of business on your own service game.

Yeah I watched it all too. Can’t disagree with that and in honesty she hasn’t had a terrible clay season all things considered. Today you could tell mentally she was rocking following the loss of a key point. After that long game which Sasnovich won it was curtains. There’s not much between a lot of the world top 100 women currently and she has the game but needs a world class coach…and to probably tell her dad to stay at home.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is a very disappointing result for Emma but I don't think we need to get too carried away in disappointment. It took Novak Djokovic a long time to put all his pieces together and he's been dominant for a long time. Emma is struggling to get her preparations right, physically she's not quite right either and her team isn't settled yet. She seems a very intelligent young woman and no doubt she'll work out what she wants and needs but I wouldn't expect anything of her in terms of tournament wins for another year or two after she's had the opportunity to play on the tour for an extended period of time to get her fitness right, get matches under her belt and have a settled team behind the scenes.

Knocking off this Tottenham-supporting streak would be an advantage too!

She is only 19 so a bit early to be jumping on her back with criticisms (not you Badger Boy). As you say, experience will help her.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
She is only 19 so a bit early to be jumping on her back with criticisms (not you Badger Boy). As you say, experience will help her.

I can understand why people are concerned about her, she was so good in winning the US Open but clay is not her surface. She hadn't played on it before a couple of months ago and physically she seems a little bit short of where she needs to be - but she's been on the tour less than a year. She's doing very well, relative to her age and experience. She is one hell of a talent and I'm excited to watch her progress over the next few years. No disrespect to the other female players we've produced in the last 20 years, but she's the first real player among them. Johanna Konta was very good for a couple of years but largely came out of nowhere at a later age when she was well established in the game.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

I'd quite like to see women play 5 sets in the slams. As it is, if you have a wobble then you can be knocked out and back in the locker room in a matter of minutes.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The main difference in her play I have noticed is that the length on her shots is far too short. At the US Open she was hitting the lines on almost all her shots and was bordering on the unplayable, now she is struggling to get her shots even into the back of the court. Opponents have probably sussed her out a bit as expected and she just has to learn to adapt. It will come in time, she has really hardly played that much at the highest level to be fair and this was her first season on clay which is very different to play on. Finding and sticking with a coach would help her though.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Very much enjoying the Ramos-Vinolas vs Alcaraz game. Cashed out on my Alcaraz multiple for £45, put £10 on R-V then cashed out for £50. Now just wanting to enjoy it even more as it's so topsy turvy. Like football, Tennis can be a great watch imo. (As was the veteran Simon win in a 5 setter late last night.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here