Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Australian Election

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
This thread deserves more discussion than being left without a reply :D.

Now the dust has settled, it's actually quite remarkable what happened.

1. The Liberal/National Coalition government got *trounced*.

2. But ... the opposition Labor party has not won a landslide victory. In fact, they're still awaiting results from 9 marginal seats to find out whether they'll actually have a majority or not (they currently have won 73 seats, they need 76).

So how can both those things be true? It's simple ... the Australian election has seen the emergence of a new political group, who've dealt the Liberals a big blow. Who are they? They're known as "Teal Independents". They aren't a formally organised party, but rather a group of independent candidates who share a common viewpoint and (mostly) a common source of funding for their campaigns. And while they are technically independents, in the background their success at this election (grabbing 5 seats off the Liberal party) is down to really solid planning and well organised campaigning.

So, what is a "Teal Independent". They're basically Green Conservatives, and they're almost all women. Where the traditional Green party is pro-climate and left-leaning on fiscal policy, the Aussie Teal group are pro-climate with moderate right fiscal policy. How were they so successful? They targeted seats held by the governing Liberal/National coalition where traditionally neither Labor nor the Greens have been able to get any traction as the electorate is right leaning. But they tapped into growing anger about how *both* major parties in Australia have failed to put climate at the forefront, and they've been able to take 5 seats (to add to 1 already held after a by-election).

Suspect there's lessons to be learned here in the UK. Perhaps this is something the Lib Dems should be taking a serious look at. They already occupy the centre ground. They already plan to mostly target Tory seats that the Labour party hasn't a hope in. Ramp up their "green" credentials while remaining solidly in the centre ground on the rest of their policy framework and they just might tap into something that delivers big for them.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This thread deserves more discussion than being left without a reply :D.

Now the dust has settled, it's actually quite remarkable what happened.

1. The Liberal/National Coalition government got *trounced*.

2. But ... the opposition Labor party has not won a landslide victory. In fact, they're still awaiting results from 9 marginal seats to find out whether they'll actually have a majority or not (they currently have won 73 seats, they need 76).

So how can both those things be true? It's simple ... the Australian election has seen the emergence of a new political group, who've dealt the Liberals a big blow. Who are they? They're known as "Teal Independents". They aren't a formally organised party, but rather a group of independent candidates who share a common viewpoint and (mostly) a common source of funding for their campaigns. And while they are technically independents, in the background their success at this election (grabbing 5 seats off the Liberal party) is down to really solid planning and well organised campaigning.

So, what is a "Teal Independent". They're basically Green Conservatives, and they're almost all women. Where the traditional Green party is pro-climate and left-leaning on fiscal policy, the Aussie Teal group are pro-climate with moderate right fiscal policy. How were they so successful? They targeted seats held by the governing Liberal/National coalition where traditionally neither Labor nor the Greens have been able to get any traction as the electorate is right leaning. But they tapped into growing anger about how *both* major parties in Australia have failed to put climate at the forefront, and they've been able to take 5 seats (to add to 1 already held after a by-election).

Suspect there's lessons to be learned here in the UK. Perhaps this is something the Lib Dems should be taking a serious look at. They already occupy the centre ground. They already plan to mostly target Tory seats that the Labour party hasn't a hope in. Ramp up their "green" credentials while remaining solidly in the centre ground on the rest of their policy framework and they just might tap into something that delivers big for them.

My kind of party, they'd get my vote. Sustainable economy, sustainable planet...

It does seem that Morrison really upset on lot of his Conservative base, quote from the Sydney Morning Herald...

By surrendering all traditional Liberal values, he has cost the Liberal Party its bedrock support base. He was a bulldozer, all right. He bulldozed his party into electoral oblivion. The Liberal leader became so poisonous to traditional Liberal voters that he dared not show his face in traditional Liberal heartland. He single-handedly turned blue-ribbon Liberal seats teal.
The Liberals have long been a “broad church” of conservatives and liberals, but Morrison was a self-described pragmatist.

Parallels with what Johnson is doing here in the blue wall. But can our terrible electoral system deliver change. No preference votes here....

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
My kind of party, they'd get my vote. Sustainable economy, sustainable planet...

I should have also mentioned the Teals were also all pushing Integrity as a key issue. So pro-climate, pro-integrity, but right-leaning fiscal policy. Sounds like a perfect target area here in the UK at the next GE.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
No preference votes here....

Yeah, good point there. There's a few seats the Liberals have lost despite being 1st on the first preference votes. Typically these were 3-cornered fights, where the Liberal candidate led against both Labor and Green, but then got demolished once the preferences from whichever came third got counted (either Green votes flowing to Labor or Labor flowing to Green).

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Mandatory voting is an interesting idea, I think I would be for it if it was brought in here.

If we did that we'd have to bring in photo ID cards too. Far cheaper to suppress the vote of poor....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It should be abolished here.

Threatening people with fines for not voting is not democracy.

It's interesting. On the one hand I like it because it means everyone has a say in how the country is run. On the other hand, if people are so lethargic at the ballot box, perhaps there is a reason for it that needs addressing. The UK tends to have a third of its electorate not bother with voting, but given that we have FPTP and well over half the results are a foregone conclusion before polling day, is it any wonder?

Mandatory voting is an interesting idea, I think I would be for it if it was brought in here.
On balance, I'd rather they just fixed the cause of voter apathy - uninspiring politicians and the existence of FPTP.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If we did that we'd have to bring in photo ID cards too. Far cheaper to suppress the vote of poor....

I can’t say I see an issue with voters being asked for some ID, how you manage making sure everyone has it and how you supply it for those that can’t afford it is the issue.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Voting should not be mandatory. People who dont give a shit should be allowed not to give a shit.

If we pretend that democracy is working, then it should be in everyones interest if those who doesnt care (and also might not know anything) stay out of it if they want to.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I should have also mentioned the Teals were also all pushing Integrity as a key issue. So pro-climate, pro-integrity, but right-leaning fiscal policy. Sounds like a perfect target area here in the UK at the next GE.

Sounds like Starmer!

(Or it may do . . . when he reveals a bit more about his vision)

Unfortunately the labour party's most keen opponents are its own activists, so the leadership spends more than half it's time strategizing how to deal with them.

(BTW, I am a Labour party member, in case anyone feels I'm surely just another sneery Daily Mail-reading nitwit).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Voting should not be mandatory. People who dont give a shit should be allowed not to give a shit.

If we pretend that democracy is working, then it should be in everyones interest if those who doesnt care (and also might not know anything) stay out of it if they want to.

Put 'no candidate' on the ballot. If the majority vote in a constituency is 'no candidate' then none is returned to parliament. Simple.

With voting compulsory.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Not if photo ID cards are free.

A proviso, for me, would be that the photo ID be curated by a secure body that is independent of HMG. That way nobody could argue that photo ID is the first step in the creation of a police state.

But who would that body be? I am sure that Johnson could put it out to tender and then join the board of the company winning the bid.

Hmmmmm....At the end of the day......we simply need to rid ourselves of Johnson.

Last edited:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

ID Cards (Supplied Free of Charge) should be mandatory - we are I believe the only country in Europe that doesn't have one. What's the issue?

Surely nothing to hide, nothing to fear?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Put 'no candidate' on the ballot. If the majority vote in a constituency is 'no candidate' then none is returned to parliament. Simple.

With voting compulsory.

Isnt that a bit pointless? Why should you have to turn up somewhere to fill in the "I dont give a shit / leave me alone" option rather than just not turn up at all?

If voter turnout is low then the issues making it the case should be adressed rather than trying to change it by force.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not if photo ID cards are free.

A proviso, for me, would be that the photo ID be curated by a secure body that is independent of HMG. That way nobody could argue that photo ID is the first step in the creation of a police state.

But who would that body be? I am sure that Johnson could put it out to tender and then joing the board of the company winning the bid.

Hmmmmm....At the end of the day......we simply need to rid ourselves of Johnson.

councils? not entirely indepedent but is in effect presently. or simply commission existing Identity companies to provide service, gov just does the paying. could come up with open source, public review model (bit blockchainy).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here