Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Celery

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
As I get older and certain memories get relegated further to the back of the old brain box, I start to wonder whether things actually happened or not. Obviously, my relationship with Natalie Portman is crystal clear in my mind.

However, do the older members of NSC remember us throwing celery about in the 80s and singing about it? Have I imagined this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I vividly remember York away late 80's. At half time the celery was everywhere. The skies seemed to darken, the stewards were equal parts amused and bemused. I'm sure it was the same at most games around then. Weren't the group responsible called the Cavemen Crew?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I vividly remember York away late 80's. At half time the celery was everywhere. The skies seemed to darken, the stewards were equal parts amused and bemused. I'm sure it was the same at most games around then. Weren't the group responsible called the Cavemen Crew?

Yep, train station to pub to greengrocers to ground

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Sussex police declared it was an offensive weapon.!!!!!!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I hate it unless it's chopped up small in salads.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
5th December 1987, FA Cup away at Northampton, their old ground. At half-time behind the goal where we were, the deluge of celery was such that visibility was down to just a couple of feet. You had to be there. It was an extrordinary and surreal occasion.

We won 2-1 and at the end of the game, their intelligencia came around to our end via the cricket pitch. None of them did any more than to express their anger from the safety of the outfield.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I was at that game. Thought it was a bit weird tbh. Loved that ground though and it’s central location.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Copying Chelsea was not for me, so it wasn't something I joined in with. I used to wear a vest to the football with a cod fillet under each armpit instead. It never caught on in the North Stand but was copied enthusiastically all across the country at the time and is still very popular at Wycombe.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Originated with Chelsea?

Contentious. The author Rob Merrills in his Dicks Out football songs books, reckons it started at Brighton. Was part of the Caveman Crew initiation to have a stick of celery stuffed up your arse on the Palace Pier in the middle of the night! Was never corroborated however (I published Dicks Out 2), but Rob who was an anthem statto - definitely attributed it to the Albion first.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here