Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Snails and slugs

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Seeing some of my prized plants eaten to bits, I went out into the garden after the rain last night looking for the little b*ggers responsible. I stopped counting at ~40, I’m amazed there was anything left growing if that’s what I can easily find in 10 minutes!

They seem resistant to the pet friendly pellets too!

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
if you don't mind killing them, stick a glass/mug of beer outside- they absolutely love the smell, they slide on into the cup and die a boozy, drowney death

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
if you don't mind killing them, stick a glass/mug of beer outside- they absolutely love the smell, they slide on into the cup and die a boozy, drowney death

There was a time when I would have considered their welfare too, but I think I’m past that now!

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
There was a time when I would have considered their welfare too, but I think I’m past that now!

in which case I'd recommend the boozy method

you'll be amazed at how many you get

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
in which case I'd recommend the boozy method

you'll be amazed at how many you get

I’ll try that tonight. I’ve got some Peroni in the garage that isn’t my favourite, hope it’s to their taste!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I saw something on the telly this morning about this.
The bloke said he boils up lots of whole garlic cloves in water and simmers them for nine hours, or for as long as you can stand the stench in your kitchen. Then water the brew over the top of the plants that the slugs and snails like.

If it doesn't work, you've got a nice french meal of escargots without any extra cooking!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Isn't slug repellent wool matting and wool pellets the latest best method of defending against the slimy pests?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
no more blue pellets

A gang of hedgehogs

as long as they agree to share the hedge at the end of a shift

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
no more blue pellets

A gang of hedgehogs

as long as they agree to share the hedge at the end of a shift

I would love the hedgehog method, but never seen one in my garden in 20 years. Just had a few days away in Norfolk and saw loads there, maybe I should have brought a couple back with me!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Never mind the slugs it's the neighborhood cats dumping on my lawn that's getting silly. I tried one those ultrasound devices that supposedly scares them off and one virtually dumped right next to it . Tried orange peel as they are not meant to like citrus smell but that too was a miserable failure. It's not that I'm remotely precious about the lawn and I don't like gardening. However, I have two young kids who like to play out and the cats particularly like the area underneath their trampoline.

Aside from bear traps and gun turrets any suggestions please from the NSC garden experts?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I would love the hedgehog method, but never seen one in my garden in 20 years. Just had a few days away in Norfolk and saw loads there, maybe I should have brought a couple back with me!

same, I had a frequent visitor when I lived next to the church yard, but nothing here in 19 years. a walled garden doesn't help!

As for cats . . .bit of friendly fire . . . air pistol pelet up the backside got rid of our neighbours cat . . he never came back.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I saw something on the telly this morning about this.
The bloke said he boils up lots of whole garlic cloves in water and simmers them for nine hours, or for as long as you can stand the stench in your kitchen. Then water the brew over the top of the plants that the slugs and snails like.

If it doesn't work, you've got a nice french meal of escargots without any extra cooking!
Yes I've done that and it really works. You store the foul mixture in an old plastic milk bottle and you only need a tablespoon in a gallon of water. Only problem is that you have to keep doing it at least once a week! You can buy garlic granules which do the same thing but that's a bit more expensive.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Everything seems fair game for the molluscs...except the palms. However, to save my dahlias, cannas, zantedeschias and the like, I'm reverting to the beer method. I have loads of stuff visit which is meant to eat gastropods, but not in the numbers required to have a noticeable effect. I've tried the garlic treatment with mixed results.
I really miss metaldehyde:(

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
spider-flamethrower.gif

Simples, same happens to these critters.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Sorry to say this (OP) but this year we have almost no slugs and snails (I will probably regret saying this), none of my little seedlings have been hit. I do have copious amounts of the illegal blue pellets that work brilliantly! But no need as the blackbirds and thrushes seem to have done their jobs this year or maybe global warming is the slugs greatest enemy.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Beer traps are the way to go. I use empty Hummous/Olive plastic pots with lids . I cut a slot about to 2cm down the side of the pot, fill it with the cheapest supermarket beer ( about £1.99 for 4 large cans ) and clip the lid back on.. then place it near your plants and check the next day.

The lid slows down the evaporation of the beer and stops rain or watering diluting it. You will be surprised how many of the ******** there are in a garden.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here