Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 25 Man Squad - Summer 2022 Edition

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We don't do cut price moves.

Some will be released, others loaned and others specifically targeted at the U23s as some of the current ressies hopefully come into match day contention with the first team. Anyone we sell we will get value for. It's literally the business model. Have you not been paying attention at all?
Gyokeres. Molumby. Hmmm ...................

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Re Cochrane - I don't see that his loans could have worked out any better. He goes to USG and is in their side that gets promoted having smashed their Second Division, he then goes to Hearts and nails down the left wingback berth, they're on for 3rd place and he could end up a Scottish Cup Final winner this weekend.

We are light on left backs / left wing-backs and apparently Man City and a number of other clubs are looking at Cucurella, so giving him a squad place appears to be a no-brainer.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Re Cucu. If City really want him, and it seems there’s enough in it to suggest they do, I can’t see anything other than him moving this summer. If they offered us £60 million we’d be nuts to turn it down. They’re almost certainly going to win the league and their manager is an absolutely legend both as a player and manager at Cucus boyhood club. Some of these transfers we can kick our heels in against, others you just can’t stand in the way of. The only hope we have is that for his young family he feels it isn’t the right move at this stage.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Gyokeres. Molumby. Hmmm ...................

Molumby was loaned out more than once and sold for his highest market value possible according to Transfer Market. What's your point? Do you think we should have got 20 million for him or something?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Re Cucu. If City really want him, and it seems there’s enough in it to suggest they do, I can’t see anything other than him moving this summer. If they offered us £60 million we’d be nuts to turn it down. They’re almost certainly going to win the league and their manager is an absolutely legend both as a player and manager at Cucus boyhood club. Some of these transfers we can kick our heels in against, others you just can’t stand in the way of. The only hope we have is that for his young family he feels it isn’t the right move at this stage.

More trolling.

City were paying 50 million for fullbacks four or five years ago. Cucurella is our player of the season and has four years left on his contract, and we have no replacement. 60 million is the start point of the negotiation, not our top price.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Molumby was loaned out more than once and sold for his highest market value possible according to Transfer Market. What's your point? Do you think we should have got 20 million for him or something?

We most likely previously turned down a better offer for Molumby; Gyokeres one of the bargains if the season - if we were buying him now the asking price would probably be ten times higher.

.....and in answer to your final question, no, of course not. Pretty daft suggestion - obviously nowhere near a £20M player. £2M to £3M wouldn't have been unreasonable though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
We most likely previously turned down a better offer for Molumby; .

Most likely? From whom? How much? The Albion won't even disclose the fees they DO get let alone the ones that no one's supposed to know about :lolol:

molumby.JPG

:facepalm:

As for Gyokores he's been developed for a year by Coventry. Was sold for what he was worth at the time.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We most likely previously turned down a better offer for Molumby; Gyokeres one of the bargains if the season - if we were buying him now the asking price would probably be ten times higher.

.....and in answer to your final question, no, of course not. Pretty daft suggestion - obviously nowhere near a £20M player. £2M to £3M wouldn't have been unreasonable though.

And ? Your point is ? You're on stronger ground i guess in arguing that Locadia and Ali J were poor transfer decisions. (forgetting the dozens of smart moves they've made since). But its pretty thin stuff if you think they should have got a few extra quid for Molumby and Gyokeres.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
More trolling.

City were paying 50 million for fullbacks four or five years ago. Cucurella is our player of the season and has four years left on his contract, and we have no replacement. 60 million is the start point of the negotiation, not our top price.

Having a calm Friday?
Last season we sold our then POTS, a 23 year old with a handful of international caps, for £50 million.
If Man City offer us 60 and he wants to leave he is off.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Having a calm Friday?
Last season we sold our then POTS, a 23 year old with a handful of international caps, for £50 million.

You write that like they're the same player. Cucurella is far better. Watched him much?

Also we had plenty of replacement options for White. Cucurella was signed to plug a specific hole. You'd think a Brighton fan would get that.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Having a calm Friday?

IF is doing a lot of heavy lifting here isn't it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sure Duffy will leave? I'm not, unless on loan. He's got one year left on his contract, and I don't believe he'll get anything better than Championship level now - which would mean a considerable pay cut.
Financially for him the best thing would be to see out his contract here for one more year - the only other way out of the Albion will be if he goes on a loan where we don't pay all of his wages.

You might be right, but I can imagine one of the promoted teams taking a punt, Leeds or Burnley if they stay up, maybe Brentford, or Southampton who have conceded more goals than everyone bar the bottom 3. He's 30, would think we'd settle for a fair bit less than we did for Burn, and he'd probably take a 2 or 3 year deal on similar wages. Would be a good signing for someone in the PL and brings a lot of experience with him imho.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And ? Your point is ? You're on stronger ground i guess in arguing that Locadia and Ali J were poor transfer decisions. (forgetting the dozens of smart moves they've made since). But its pretty thin stuff if you think they should have got a few extra quid for Molumby and Gyokeres.

Why is it thin stuff just because you think differently? Yes, I do think, and will continue to think, that both players were undersold. Not that they should have gone for £10 or £20M or any such bullshit, but a bit more than the reported £Million or so, give or take, that they were sold for. Significantly, there are posters on both the WBA and Coventry forums that reckon they got them cheap too.
I wasn't arguing that Locadia and Jahanbakhsh were bad decisions - that's your red herring and complete whataboutery. Comparisons with them are irrelevant - they were bad buys - and yes, they were bad - but they weren't sales.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Why is it thin stuff just because you think differently? Yes, I do think, and will continue to think, that both players were undersold. Not that they should have gone for £10 or £20M or any such bullshit, but a bit more than the reported £Million or so, give or take, that they were sold for. Significantly, there are posters on both the WBA and Coventry forums that reckon they got them cheap too.
I wasn't arguing that Locadia and Jahanbakhsh were bad decisions - that's your red herring and complete whataboutery. Comparisons with them are irrelevant - they were bad buys - and yes, they were bad - but they weren't sales.

Ali J and Locadia were sales. Rather poor sales if you like . We gave them away for free.
Yep I get you think they're undersold. But so what ? Plenty would argue otherwise, and they're such minor players in Albion's overall ins and outs - then it doesn't really say anything about the overall picture does it - hence thin stuff - but yep fair play you think the club have messed up here.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They weren't sales at all. Buying them turned out to be an error. Getting them off the pay-roll was perfectly good business.

As for 'the club have messed up' - no need to use such emotive language - I never said any such thing. I am, however, a little disappointed at the price we got for two regular starters in decent Championship teams. An 18 goal Championship striker for a million quid? Most Championship teams would bite your arm off to get one of those (and would expect to get a lot more than that if another club came in for them!)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
They weren't sales at all. Buying them turned out to be an error. Getting them off the pay-roll was perfectly good business.

As for 'the club have messed up' - no need to use such emotive language - I never said any such thing. I am, however, a little disappointed at the price we got for two regular starters in decent Championship teams. An 18 goal Championship striker for a million quid? Most Championship teams would bite your arm off to get one of those (and would expect to get a lot more than that if another club came in for them!)

But Coventry didn't sign an 18 goal a season Championship striker, they signed one who'd scored 3 goals in 30 games. If we'd spent a million or so on a striker with that record while in the Championship there would have been a lot of people questioning it. With hindsight it looks like a bargain and that we undersold but at the time it happened it was probably about right. We may have been able to eek out a bit more from Coventry but we may well have taken a smaller transfer fee up front against a bigger sell on percentage or better future payment clauses as we all know Tony Bloom likes a bit of a gamble.

It also isn't always about the transfer fee but showing potential signings that if they can't make it to our first team squad our academy system is still producing players that play regularly at the next level and the club won't stand in the way of a player if their path to the first team is blocked. That may pay dividends long term too when we are hopefully convincing the next Ben White or Robert Sanchez that our academy is the best place for their development.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But Coventry didn't sign an 18 goal a season Championship striker, they signed one who'd scored 3 goals in 30 games. If we'd spent a million or so on a striker with that record while in the Championship there would have been a lot of people questioning it. With hindsight it looks like a bargain and that we undersold but at the time it happened it was probably about right. We may have been able to eek out a bit more from Coventry but we may well have taken a smaller transfer fee up front against a bigger sell on percentage or better future payment clauses as we all know Tony Bloom likes a bit of a gamble.

It also isn't always about the transfer fee but showing potential signings that if they can't make it to our first team squad our academy system is still producing players that play regularly at the next level and the club won't stand in the way of a player if their path to the first team is blocked. That may pay dividends long term too when we are hopefully convincing the next Ben White or Robert Sanchez that our academy is the best place for their development.

Oh I know all that - could have written that myself! Just think we were a tad over-generous to WBA over Molumby, and particularly to Coventry over Gyokeres. That's all.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Just a snippet from the Coventry fans' forum (there's plenty similar).

Poster 1 "There's no way Brighton get half. Maybe 20% of profit, wouldn't think much more."

Poster 2 "Id [sic] agree if we’d paid proper money for him but if it was the £1m mooted I’d assume they’ve got a massive sell on in there."

Even Coventry think he was undersold!

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Football365 states Gross and Welbeck due to sign contracts for next year (quoting Potter)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Just a snippet from the Coventry fans' forum (there's plenty similar).

Poster 1 "There's no way Brighton get half. Maybe 20% of profit, wouldn't think much more."

Poster 2 "Id [sic] agree if we’d paid proper money for him but if it was the £1m mooted I’d assume they’ve got a massive sell on in there."

Even Coventry think he was undersold!

Just because the Coventry equivalent of you think that doesn't make it true. They weren't involved in the negotiation any more than you were. When he was sold he wasn't an 18 goal striker in the Championship. He's done that with Coventry and increased his value from what it was then to what it was now.

This is a mistake Brighton fans often make with Gross. We got him at a "good price" but a good price for what he went on to do - not what he'd done before.

If there are Premier League bargains to be had it's generally when a player is close to the end of his contract, so that the club get something rather than nothing, or because they have a release clause triggered (Veltman and Cucurella had release clauses that were good value but we were lucky there was no bidding war. As there wasn't the selling clubs had a contractual obligation to accept a low price)

I can't believe I've had to explain that to an adult.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here