Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] "City" status getting a bad name

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
This "City" status thing is getting a bad name. Southend given it a few weeks back, now Colchester, Doncaster and Wrexham among others. I think we should give ours back. Becoming completely meaningless now .... or maybe it always was?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not sure I'd be picking on the Southend one TBH

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
This "City" status thing is getting a bad name. Southend given it a few weeks back, now Colchester, Doncaster and Wrexham among others. I think we should give ours back. Becoming completely meaningless now .... or maybe it always was?

It’s all comparative. Perhaps I should be offended that the town of Brighton was given city status ? It’s not Liverpool is it :)

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Colchester? Charming place for a weekend away. The combination of the squaddies versus the travelling community makes for something akin to the wild west in the town centre!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
What, no Croydon city?

Not to be confused with Corydon (Iowa), which is.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Colchester? Charming place for a weekend away. The combination of the squaddies versus the travelling community makes for something akin to the wild west in the town centre!

Went out with a girl from St Osyth back in the 1980's and we had a charming drink in a Colchester pub with not a stick of furniture in it.

Apparently the Paras had visited for a free and frank discussion with the locals the previous day...

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think it is a fantastic gesture by Her Majesty the Queen, and it will bring many benefits and opportunities for the residents of these new cities.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Wrexham is many things and that includes, most definitely, being a town

Very good friend and ex-work colleague of mine is married to a Fireman who had to cover Wrexham.

Apparently Summertime fun involves setting fire to settees etc., dragging them out into the street and then luzzing bricks at the Fire Crews.

Presumably this is the Brixton/Toxteth route to City Status? :facepalm:

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Very good friend and ex-work colleague of mine is married to a Fireman who had to cover Wrexham.

Apparently Summertime fun involves setting fire to settees etc., dragging them out into the street and then luzzing bricks at the Fire Crews.

Presumably this is the Brixton/Toxteth route to City Status? :facepalm:

Enjoyed going to the Racecourse Ground and then heading out quickly towards more picturesque North Wales. Snowdonia etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here