Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Punishing all fans for the sins of a few ?

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Saw on the thread about the Forest fan assault some people suggesting that the club itself should have to face some punishment e.g. restriction on fans , lower ticket allocation etc .
When i have suggested this sort of thing ( points deduction for bottle throwers for example ) to others in the past i have often been shot down by the argument that why should all the good fans be punished as well .
However when reading the thread about bottle tops and flasks i suddenly realised that this is exactly what is happening in this case i.e. i cannot take in a flask or a bottle of water because some other twits have thrown things at players or oppo fans !
So maybe it is a case of fans can be punished but clubs not so much ?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We're customers not fans

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

rool

Jul 10, 2003
The championship pitch invasions have been over the top IMO.
I think they might be banned from next season with penalties (not spot kicks) for non compliance.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If the cameras can spot a strikers clock hairs for offside then VAR should be properly redeployed

Job done. Hoolies pay fines to fund VAR and the rest of us carry on

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Saw on the thread about the Forest fan assault some people suggesting that the club itself should have to face some punishment e.g. restriction on fans , lower ticket allocation etc .
When i have suggested this sort of thing ( points deduction for bottle throwers for example ) to others in the past i have often been shot down by the argument that why should all the good fans be punished as well .
However when reading the thread about bottle tops and flasks i suddenly realised that this is exactly what is happening in this case i.e. i cannot take in a flask or a bottle of water because some other twits have thrown things at players or oppo fans !
We are paying the price for an Arsenal manager kicking a water bottle into the crowd.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

How would you punish the club and not the fans then? If you don't make it harder for fans to lob a full bottle on the pitch what's the alternative. Points deduction everytime it happens?

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
How would you punish the club and not the fans then? If you don't make it harder for fans to lob a full bottle on the pitch what's the alternative. Points deduction everytime it happens?

This is the point i was ( perhaps badly ) trying to make , that i have often been told as much that points deductions etc would be unfair on all the good fans of a club but it seems ok to punish me and others individually by , for instance , not allowing me to take a flask to a game when i have not the slightest intention of throwing it at anyone !
Also i remember the bad days of being caged up and penned in and wonder if we are returning to this if a pitch invasion to express joy ends up in an assault on a player ?

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Northampton fans running on pitch with smoke bombs and flares at tonight’s L2 semi final.

Every match now seemingly has illegal pyrotechnics, both kids and adults frequently entering field of play.

What’s got into people suddenly?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This is the point i was ( perhaps badly ) trying to make , that i have often been told as much that points deductions etc would be unfair on all the good fans of a club but it seems ok to punish me and others individually by , for instance , not allowing me to take a flask to a game when i have not the slightest intention of throwing it at anyone !
Also i remember the bad days of being caged up and penned in and wonder if we are returning to this if a pitch invasion to express joy ends up in an assault on a player ?

I do completely sympathise. There’s enough cameras, stewards, digital records etc to identify and convict people even if several dozen doing it in unison. Why action can’t be taken immediately no idea. We seem to like watching crime in this country and not just on TV!

Read today the EFL will be looking at punishments over the summer including stadium closures:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...dium-closures-for-pitch-invasions-next-season

What a load of bollocks. Stop trying to dilute our game! I love the pitch invasions. Just deal with the individuals themselves and stop punishing the others for going wild when their teams are on the cusp of something greats. It adds to the atmosphere and is one of the big reasons as to why I go.

Northampton fans running on pitch with smoke bombs and flares at tonight’s L2 semi final.

Every match now seemingly has illegal pyrotechnics, both kids and adults frequently entering field of play.

We celebrated winning League 1 by running on the pitch at Withdean and we ran on the Amex pitch when we got promoted from the Championship. Nothing wrong with it. Stop being so pedantic and boring. Embrace people letting loose and having fun. As long as no ones hurt, which the majority of the time they aren't, there is nothing wrong with it.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
The lunatics have taken over the asylum.

graham-potter-bhafc.gif

Last edited:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
We celebrated winning League 1 by running on the pitch at Withdean and we ran on the Amex pitch when we got promoted from the Championship. Nothing wrong with it. Stop being so pedantic and boring. Embrace people letting loose and having fun. As long as no ones hurt, which the majority of the time they aren't, there is nothing wrong with it.

The problem is in your very wording "as long as no one is hurt, which the majority of the time they aren't". So what happens, when in the minority of times it turns into something else. What happens, as with the Billy Sharp incident, where a head butt or punch, a player then gets killed by a head blow? Still OK for the majority?

Or would a grieving relative just be boring and pedantic?

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19094455.dad-ones-you---mp-dehenna-davison-launches-inquiry-one-punch-assaults/

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

It’s living in a society rather than a bunch of individuals with ‘rights.’ It’s all very well taking the good times when things are going well but that works the other way as well. Rules are there to protect us all. If it comes to it and the authorities feel that pitch invasions are too dangerous for all of us then I’m afraid it won’t wash to replace that with pitch invasions are too dangerous apart from when Dave the hatosaurus is involved (to use the current example).

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

It’s copycat and until there are actual consequences it will get worse and worse. That’s what happened in the 70s and 80s.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The problem is in your very wording "the majority of the time". So what happens, when in the minority of times it turns into something else. What happens, as with the Billy Sharp incident, where a head butt or punch, a player then gets killed by a head blow? Still OK for the majority?

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19094455.dad-ones-you---mp-dehenna-davison-launches-inquiry-one-punch-assaults/

What happens when someone kills someone in a pub? Do you ban all pubs? What happens when someone die in a car accident, do you ban all cars?

This idea that any incident needs to result in banning something is really common, but also completely idiotic because in the end there would be very few things that humans were free to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here