Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Forest's Samba last night

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Samba was continually delaying taking his line last night in the shoot outs and it made me wonder if a player can be booked and sent off during a Penalty shoot out?

If they can't, what can the Ref do if a goalie continually mucks about like that?

After those antics and the head butt, I am now cheering for Huddersfield in the final.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
https://downloads.theifab.com/downloads/laws-of-the-game-2021-22?l=en Law 10:

Substitutions and sendings-off during kicks from the penalty mark
  • A player, substitute or substituted player may be cautioned or sent off
  • A goalkeeper who is sent off must be replaced by an eligible player
  • A player other than the goalkeeper who is unable to continue may not be replaced
  • The referee must not abandon the match if a team is reduced to fewer than seven players

Incidentally - cautions don't carry over:

Kicks from the penalty mark
Kicks from the penalty mark are taken after the match has ended and unless
otherwise stated, the relevant Laws of the Game apply. A player who has been
sent off during the match is not permitted to take part; warnings and cautions
issued during the match are not carried forward into kicks from the penalty
mark.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
https://downloads.theifab.com/downloads/laws-of-the-game-2021-22?l=en Law 10:

Substitutions and sendings-off during kicks from the penalty mark
  • A player, substitute or substituted player may be cautioned or sent off
  • A goalkeeper who is sent off must be replaced by an eligible player
  • A player other than the goalkeeper who is unable to continue may not be replaced
  • The referee must not abandon the match if a team is reduced to fewer than seven players

So is this saying "if your goalie is sent off, you CAN make a sub to bring a keeper on?"

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So is this saying "if your goalie is sent off, you CAN make a sub to bring a keeper on?"

I don't believe so. I think the 'A goalkeeper who is sent off must be replaced by an eligible player' means anyone who is eligible to take part in the penalty kicks.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
If I was a Sheffield United fan I’d certainly feel erm?…how do I word it nicely? …. that he wasn’t what I’d call a sportsman.

But hey, it’s win at all costs these days. I’m a bit old school.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't believe so. I think the 'A goalkeeper who is sent off must be replaced by an eligible player' means anyone who is eligible to take part in the penalty kicks.

Ah ok, that makes sense.

Whilst I was cheering for Forest, Samba really should've been carded at the very least, it certainly seemed to be helping gain a psychological advantage.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
The ref set the tone by not booking him straight away. I'm not sure any ref would actually send a keeper off in a shootout (especially when the stakes are so high) and Samba knew that. I don't blame him at all and would've done similar in his position, though not sure I'd have the bollocks to be quite so brazen about it.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Was FDM :bowdown: ever involved in a penalty shoot-out for us? I suspect he may have done similar.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

And eligible players are those on the pitch at the final whistle. I believe if a goalie or player is sent off during the penalty kicks then the other team have to drop one of their players so the shoot out is between the same number of players on each team.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Thought he was great.

Made a cracking save right at the death and then did everything in his power to get the upper hand during the shootout. Pretending not to hear Oliver so walking two foot forward for every penalty reminded me of Jack Leach cleaning his glasses every ball at Headingly.

Also this explains why his water bottle was wrapped in a towel

[tweet]1526692317331070976[/tweet]

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
And not forgetting for the first penalty save he was two feet off his line. And this after Oliver has just given both keepers an overly long lecture.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
A word for his penalty saves though, quite superb. If Forest come up he will be a credit to the Premier League.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Thought he was great.

Made a cracking save right at the death and then did everything in his power to get the upper hand during the shootout. Pretending not to hear Oliver so walking two foot forward for every penalty reminded me of Jack Leach cleaning his glasses every ball at Headingly.

Also this explains why his water bottle was wrapped in a towel

[tweet]1526692317331070976[/tweet]

That's what Pickford did for the World Cup in 2018 (and I'm sure he wasn't the first!), Krul did it for Norwich successfully a couple of years ago too - which does make me wonder why, if penalty takers know goalkeepers even may have got a list of their typical penalty direction, they don't just practice relentlessly all over the goal and mix it up rather than having a preferred spot?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If I was a Sheffield United fan I’d certainly feel erm?…how do I word it nicely? …. that he wasn’t what I’d call a sportsman.

But hey, it’s win at all costs these days. I’m a bit old school.

I thought it was very sporting of him to stand still for the second penalty . . . .give thhe player the best chance of scoring :lolol:

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
That's what Pickford did for the World Cup in 2018 (and I'm sure he wasn't the first!), Krul did it for Norwich successfully a couple of years ago too - which does make me wonder why, if penalty takers know goalkeepers even may have got a list of their typical penalty direction, they don't just practice relentlessly all over the goal and mix it up rather than having a preferred spot?

Kane did this against Arsenal last week. The graphic came up that all his penalties this year went to the keepers right, Ramsdale probably knew this went right and Kane duly went the other way.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Kane did this against Arsenal last week. The graphic came up that all his penalties this year went to the keepers right, Ramsdale probably knew this went right and Kane duly went the other way.

That was so bloody predictable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here