Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sporting memories 1971 / 1972

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1666345/sporting-memories-1971-72

I have found this absolutely fascinating, especially now knowing that the Albion beat my local team, Hillingdon Borough 7-1, in 1971 in the FACup.

Also.....
I quote:

On 20th November, athlete Dave Bedford ran 30 circuits of the Goldstone pitch in half an hour before the FA Cup match with Hillingdon Borough to raise money for a party for Albion’s older fans.

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
That Dave Bedford run makes interesting reading for me.
Has anyone else done a similar run around the pitch? Asking as I always thought the Villa game that season was my first Goldstone game and yet I was there for the run.
Also went to a friendly against QPR(?) that was called off and met Pat Saward. Anyone else remember that?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Remember that season well - it was the season that I first started going regularly (pretty much every game) rather than the odd game here and there.

Looking back at 1972 wasn't so happy for Sussex - we finished second bottom of the CC, winning just two games. It was the start of a bit of a decline as we finished near the bottom for the next few years

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
That was a cracking season, especially the two Rochdale games at the end, both of which I attended.
https://www.11v11.com/teams/brighton-and-hove-albion/tab/matches/season/1972/
I was at the Hillingdon Borough game and clearly remember Dave Bedford running around the perimeter before a game but didn't know it was this one.
The Bournemouth games that season were certainly more lively than in recent seasons!

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
two other games I remember from that season

Aston Villa,because of the size of the crowd

Blackburn,trapped my thumb on the inside of a train door,never forgotten that!

I don't recall the B'mouth boxing day game or the Rochdale one,so presume I wasn't there

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Overriding sporting memory of 1971 was being at Hampden for the Scottish League Cup Final to witness one of the greatest upsets in Scottish football history: Partick Thistle 4 Celtic 1. The Maryhill Magyars were 4-0 up after 37 minutes against a star-studded Celtic team that included Kenny Dalglish, Lou Macari and Jimmy Johnstone. It was a newsflash on Scottish television and got the biggest cheer of the day at Ibrox :lolol:

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
My sporting memory of 1971 is the Ibrox disaster. My first experience that football is not more important than life and death, whatever Bill Shankly said.

My other memory is the WBA goal against dirty Leeds, it was not offside, Leeds simply waited for the whistle. .

Also England winning the Ashes down under in a Seven test series!!

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
This was the first season I was interested in football and cricket, I was 6. I remember going to the Villa game, the Rochdale game and a post-season testimonial for Geoff Sidebottom against Birmingham who had Francis and Latchford playing. We had only just moved down from the Midlands and both my grandfathers came down as they were Villa supporters! I went to loads more from the 72/3 season onwards.

The Leeds v Arsenal cup final was the first one I remember and I got this great book called Football Champions which I still have that shows all the key moments from the season including Albion’s promotion wearing the blue shorts with white piping. My shop of choice then was Hove Sports Depot, and I also remember getting some of the sock tabs like Leeds used to wear from Gamleys Sports on Church Road.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
This was the first season I was interested in football and cricket, I was 6. I remember going to the Villa game, the Rochdale game and a post-season testimonial for Geoff Sidebottom against Birmingham who had Francis and Latchford playing. We had only just moved down from the Midlands and both my grandfathers came down as they were Villa supporters! I went to loads more from the 72/3 season onwards.

The Leeds v Arsenal cup final was the first one I remember and I got this great book called Football Champions which I still have that shows all the key moments from the season including Albion’s promotion wearing the blue shorts with white piping. My shop of choice then was Hove Sports Depot, and I also remember getting some of the sock tabs like Leeds used to wear from Gamleys Sports on Church Road.

That was my 2nd cup final,remember Mick Jones breaking his arm or something
Allan Clarke's diving header and for some reason Bob Wilson not being in goal for Arsenal?
Back then you could name almost all the top clubs starting XI
Remember them sock tabs too!
A kid at school brought in some Man City socks,everyone was envious, laughable now

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
My sporting memory of 1971 is the Ibrox disaster. My first experience that football is not more important than life and death, whatever Bill Shankly said.

My other memory is the WBA goal against dirty Leeds, it was not offside, Leeds simply waited for the whistle. .

Also England winning the Ashes down under in a Seven test series!!

Don't remember the Ibrox disaster, but do remember Munich a year later,I was only 8,I suppose

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That was a cracking season, especially the two Rochdale games at the end, both of which I attended.
I was at the Hillingdon Borough game and clearly remember Dave Bedford running around the perimeter before a game but didn't know it was this one.
The Bournemouth games that season were certainly more lively than in recent seasons!

They were indeed! In those pre-Palace days they were our big rivals. I remember the Bournemouth game, and obviously the Villa and Rochdale ones. 1972 was also the last time I attended a match as a Chelsea fan (the 1972 League Cup final). My Dad got me a ticket as he knew Chelsea were my 'big' club, but because of that season I was 100% Brighton by then. I remember looking at all the Chelsea fans at Wembley and thinking "I wish this was Brighton". I never thought we'd make it though.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
They were indeed! In those pre-Palace days they were our big rivals. I remember the Bournemouth game, and obviously the Villa and Rochdale ones. 1972 was also the last time I attended a match as a Chelsea fan (the 1972 League Cup final). My Dad got me a ticket as he knew Chelsea were my 'big' club, but because of that season I was 100% Brighton by then. I remember looking at all the Chelsea fans at Wembley and thinking "I wish this was Brighton". I never thought we'd make it though.

Did you go to this game?

Screenshot_20220517-141008_Chrome.jpg

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Went to the boxing day game , seemed that there were a large number of fans hauled out from the North Stand .

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
apparently it was 2 days after the Rochdale game :mad:

Blimey, no, I'm struggling to remember back 50 years but I doubt I'd have gone (or been allowed to go) to two evening games so close together. Interesting to see from post #17 above that the referee for Geoff Sidebottom's game was a certain Mr Ron Challis! :wanker::wanker::wanker:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here