Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Never cut the lawn in May - sage words or a load of old bolleaux?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is this advisable? I'm sure there are a couple of learned friends on here who might be able to shed some light. My lawn looks like it needs a cut but I've followed NSC advice to not 'shave it' and it has become luxuriant. Should I take the plunge and let it grow bushy in May? ???

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm surprised NSC answer to Alan Titchmarsh, [MENTION=11350]LamieRobertson[/MENTION] hasn't put her recommendations on here :D

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the idea is to allow wildflowers to grow, helping insects. if you have a neat monoculture lawn its pretty unlikely much is going to grow or get to flower in 4 weeks. its a pain to cut after too. so veering to bollocks. better to leave a bit with wildgrass and flowers all year, quick strim autumn and spring.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Cut it.

But not too short. About one setting higher than normal.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I’ve cut mine every week since about middle of April but have allowed about two feet along the fence to grow. I’ve got wild flowers and bramble / blackberries etc. All going on, but I want to play penalties and later in the year tennis / bowls so need a reasonable lawn to sit / play on with the family.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Is this advisable? I'm sure there are a couple of learned friends on here who might be able to shed some light. My lawn looks like it needs a cut but I've followed NSC advice to not 'shave it' and it has become luxuriant. Should I take the plunge and let it grow bushy in May? ???

Been cutting our allotment grass since the start of May, although it does grow into luxurious cooch grass.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Are you sure you haven't mixed it up with “Ne'er cast a clout till May is out,” it sounds to me like an excuse for lazy b******s to get out of cutting their lawn. I've cut mine three times this year already :angel:

(But leave it a little longer on the first couple of cuts :wink:)

el punal

Put your mower on the lowest cut possible and give your lawn the full Brazilian treatment - no, don’t do that! :D

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks lads. I have cut it several times this Spring but on a high setting. Parts of it are several inches tall now so I'll give it a number 5 tomorrow I think :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Breed a daughter who should be roughly 11 years old at time of writing.

Get her to plead for a puppy every day for about six hours until you want to pull your own fingernails out with plyers.

Buy a cockapoo puppy.

Say "goodbye lawn, hello holes, toys and socks".

Sorted :thumbsup:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Our front garden is completely wild flowers and planted stuff, no lawn at all. The rear lawn is a bit of a mess as the landscaper is in doing a brick path and replacing some luxury 70's crazy paving which was under an old shed. . . . Plenty of bee and insect fodder about though. .

As an aside, I've been stretching my legs of a lunchtime at work, the area just north of Brooklands in lower Cokeham is lovey right now, a massive field of daisies and dandelions and trees in full springiness bloom

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
An entire month of not mowing will be good for other plant species and fauna, but you’ll never get it back to an ornamental/utility lawn. As well as Dandelions, Poa annua, coarse grasses, Speedwell and Bird’s-foot trefoil will spread by self seeding and rhizomes.

It’s a one-off choice.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Cut three times so far, one high, two short. Lawn looks good.
Am lucky though, have 17 ft of wild garden behind rear laurel hedge. Got all wild life going on there, including, we think, a family of foxes. Behind the garden itself is the South Downs National Park.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Mrs Q cut ours Saturday and that was the 5th cut this year.
It’s not set that short but just slices the tops off the dog turds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here