Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lawerenson retires

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think he called time on MotD at the right time to be honest. I always liked him and I found his slightly exhausted approach to punditry quite funny. By all accounts he seemed a decent man too.

I've never got the "anti-Brighton" thing. The VAST majority of his success as a player came at Liverpool and, guess what, the media are more interested in his Liverpool days that his Brighton ones. What sticks with me though was when we were promoted to the PL he did come out and talk very fondly about the club and has always wished us well.

Hope he enjoys his retirement

Whenever he is called on to talk about his time with us, he always refers to it fondly.
I'm happy with that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I worked on the show (and MOTD) with Lawro and he is an absolute gent of a man, who'd do anything to help others.

And the 'he hates albion' thing, is all BS.

Well said.

I found a similar tweet, showing just how generous he is.

[tweet]1526148464131952641[/tweet]

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I've always liked Lawro since when he came down to the 18th Hove Cub Scouts to the Salvationist Hall in Sackville Road and met us.

His dour image has been a decent foil and a refreshing contrast with younger pundits. Having seen the direction of BBC Sport recently and at the real risk of reading far too much into it, I hope it's purely retirement and not simply a case of replacing so-called 'pale, stale males' to appeal to a different viewing demographic, aka more diverse and youthful. There should be a place for all, and that includes the old guys. I'll happily watch and enjoy both MOTDx and Lawro, and appreciate both.

Nevertheless, a time to stop eventually comes to all. The tribute to him at the end of Saturday's Football Focus from Wembley was touching. Dion Dublin was especially generous in his praise and Lawro looked as choked up as he's ever likely to be when talking about his family. The montage was excellent and a fitting sendoff.

I'll always be grateful for his Albion days and for making a 9 year old cub scout love the beautiful game a little bit more.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Retiring from predicting 10 football results every week for 8 months a year must take it out of you,it's about time he put his feet up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here