Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] F.A. Cup nostalgia.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was talking to Mrs LLF last night, and said that I wanted to watch the Cup Final this afternoon. What Cup Final?, she said.
She didn’t have a clue that it was Cup Final day. It got me thinking, she has a passing (geddit) interest in football,not a massive fan but will watch the Albion, and big games. During the 70,s and 80,s the Cup final was huge, possibly the biggest game of the season. Television coverage would start at about 9 in the morning, Cup Final It’s a knockout, Cup Final, Question of Sport etc.
I was speaking to our Saturday lad this morning and was saying the same to him, and how, at 3 o’clock on the Saturday the World seemed to stop for a couple of hours. He couldn’t believe it, he’s football mad, but, isn’t bothered whether he watches it or not.

How have the F.A let the premier Cup competition in the World become so devalued?

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I was talking to Mrs LLF last night, and said that I wanted to watch the Cup Final this afternoon. What Cup Final?, she said.
She didn’t have a clue that it was Cup Final day. It got me thinking, she has a passing (geddit) interest in football,not a massive fan but will watch the Albion, and big games. During the 70,s and 80,s the Cup final was huge, possibly the biggest game of the season. Television coverage would start at about 9 in the morning, Cup Final It’s a knockout, Cup Final, Question of Sport etc.
I was speaking to our Saturday lad this morning and was saying the same to him, and how, at 3 o’clock on the Saturday the World seemed to stop for a couple of hours. He couldn’t believe it, he’s football mad, but, isn’t bothered whether he watches it or not.

How have the F.A let the premier Cup competition in the World become so devalued?

I'm off out for the day with the other half ,if i get back to watch i do if not oh well. That wouldn't have happened in years gone by ,myself and a group of mates from 93 till 04 would have Cup Final weekends away.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We used to have great cup final days…. Copious amounts of beer and a badly organised barbecue…..

It’s my grandsons 4th birthday party today though and off there in a moment.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
The FA cup is devalued for many reasons. But one of them from a watching point of view is that it was more or less the only full game that was televised so it was a treat. ( Maybe the odd international as well.)
Match of the Day started in 1964 but of course was only highlights.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It’s no different from watching the news. Everything used to stop at 9pm or 10pm to watch the news. Now, like football you can watch it when you want and even choose the type of news you watch, which country is broadcasting it, who the news reader is, etc, etc.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The FA cup is devalued for many reasons. But one of them from a watching point of view is that it was more or less the only full game that was televised so it was a treat. ( Maybe the odd international as well.)
Match of the Day started in 1964 but of course was only highlights.

Exactly, a live game was a must watch because it was either the cup final or an International finals. There were no other live games other than European or World Cups. No club football. We have more choice over one weekend than you got in a year back in the day.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

What are they supposed to do? They cant force you or your "Saturday lad" to give a shit.

Times changed. Football is more accessible on TV, online and so on. Difficult for the FA to do much about it.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

el punal

In the 1980s/90s a group of us would have a tradition of hosting the cup final extravaganza. This would involve being at the local pub until about 2.30. Back to whoever’s home to hit more booze before/during/after the game. At halftime we’d tuck into bread and cheese etc. Prior to kickoff we would have a ‘sweepstake’ on the following - 1.Final score and winning team. 2.Name of first scorer and, 3.First person to fall asleep and at what time in the match!

With regard to number 3 the record was SEVEN minutes! :drink:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

The rot set in when they moved Semi-Finals from neutral grounds to Wembley.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Now Chelsea aren’t even bothering to wear their own kit.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Is this the FA Cup final thread? Well, this game is beyond dull, as dull as dull shitwater. So dull, I might go and do something else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here