Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Spinal Tap II

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A long-awaited sequel to This Is Spinal Tap is on the way, according to Deadline. Rob Reiner will return to direct Spinal Tap II, which is tentatively slated for release on Tuesday, March 19, 2024. Reiner will also reprise his role as the fictional in-film director Marty DiBergi. Also returning are core cast members Michael McKean, Harry Shearer, and Christopher Guest, portraying Spinal Tap’s David St. Hubbins, Derek Smalls, and Nigel Tufnel, respectively.

https://pitchfork.com/news/new-spinal-tap-ii-movie-in-the-works/

el punal

Why do people have to do ‘sequels’ or repeats of classic films? They rarely live up to the original and in most cases just a cheap, lazy venture to make money. I give you the Ladykillers, the Italian Job, Wicker Man, any of the Jaws fiascos - the list goes on.

Probably the only exceptions are Godfather II and French Connection II. :shrug:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I think there was some kind of sequel in the eighties... Spinal Tap in concert. In my opinion that sequel was disastrous and as memorably bad as the brilliant original was memorably good.

Potentially this is a money maker and another artistic disaster.....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll not dismiss it out of hand.

You've got to trust the 4 of them, Spinal Tap is their legacy, their apex mountain.
Without ST their careers may well look completely different.
That's quite a lot to piss away, on a folly.

But my main reason is time.
We're what 2 generations away from the poorly received original.
The film is still going strong.

As they haven't been rammed down our throats it might be nice to catch up.

Or it could be shitehouse.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Why do people have to do ‘sequels’ or repeats of classic films? They rarely live up to the original and in most cases just a cheap, lazy venture to make money. I give you the Ladykillers, the Italian Job, Wicker Man, any of the Jaws fiascos - the list goes on.

I’m surprised the original Tap line-up would want to risk tarnishing the legacy (right word?) of the original. Money, like you say, plus actor ego. Once you establish a ‘brand’ (Ozark, Bosch, Better Call Saul, Sons of Anarchy, the ITN News at Ten yadda yadda) you can pump out any old crap and the lemmings suck it up until the scales finally fall from their eyes.

That said, I absolutely love The Wicker Man remake, just don’t take it seriously or compare it to the original, a fantastic fantasy romp through Summerisle mk2, with lots of beehives thrown in. �� �� ��

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I’m surprised the original Tap line-up would want to risk tarnishing the legacy (right word?) of the original. Money, like you say, plus actor ego. Once you establish a ‘brand’ (Ozark, Bosch, Better Call Saul, Sons of Anarchy, the ITN News at Ten yadda yadda) you can pump out any old crap and the lemmings suck it up until the scales finally fall from their eyes.

That said, I absolutely love The Wicker Man remake, just don’t take it seriously or compare it to the original, a fantastic fantasy romp through Summerisle mk2, with lots of beehives thrown in. �� �� ��

....and the bit in the bear costume

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
didnt someone do a parody of this already? band members working in fringes of music, in marketing, PR, with one clinging on to the old band brand touring pubs.

el punal

But did it have Britt Eckland gyrating against the bedroom wall? :drool:

(Or her body double). :cheers:

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill

I'd say the Aliens movie was pretty good as sequels go, although that moved it more to Action than Horror/suspense type movies

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As it's got the original cast it's more like a farewell reunion tour and the The Stones have been doing that ad infinitum!!

Will be interesting to see how many drummers they've had since the original.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Let's hope it's promoted as Spinal Tap 11.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It was so of it's time. When prog rock was morphing into hair metal. I cannot see what audience a sequel would be aimed at. I think they have done a couple of pseudo sequels but I'm pretty sure they were cobbled together from unused footage from the original.

Seems rather apt;

Stop wasting my time
You know what I want
You know what I need
Or maybe you don't

Do I have to come right flat out and tell you everything?
Gimme some money, gimme some money

I'm nobody's fool
I'm nobody's clown
I'm treating you cool
I'm putting you down

But baby I don't intend to leave empty handed
Oh yeah! Go Nigel, go!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If a quarter as many jokes land in the sequel it will still be bloody funny.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Is it relevant? Who cares? The original is a masterpiece, leave it be.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Let's hope it's promoted as Spinal Tap 11.

For me this is the sequel in one scene.

They have to revisit '11'.

If they land that joke everything will be ok.
If they don't, there's no point staying for the rest of the film.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here