Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The two groups of singers in the North

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A thread inspired by the vlog from the Ecuadorian guy and pitchside cam video.

It's quite clear from those that the guys under the police box (NSK I think) put a lot of effort into the atmosphere and their songs. However, from where I am (slightly north of centre circle in WSU, towards the back) you could not hear the Caicedo song at all and a lot more probably gets lost. What's more there's another group under the big screen who constantly seem to sing a different song. Mostly you can't hear either from WSU but the actions, clapping etc are always different. So.....a few questions:

1) Are the NSK in the worst place possible? For me that police box roof is going to smother noise instantly.
2) Are the two groups deliberately competing with each other to the detriment of the team and the holistic Amex atmosphere?
3) And the big one - if the two groups could come together nearer to the middle of the stand would you be prepared to move to make that happen or is that the very essence of Palace-like tinpottery?

Yes, I know this has all been covered before but no one forced you to open and read the thread. I thought it might be interesting to get all the views on one thread.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm now up in the ESU / but the North corner. I can hear relatively little of the chants from the NS especially any from under the Police Box. .
That said "Pride of the South Coast" drifted up my way a fair few times on Saturday originating in the North but not the Caicedo chant . "4-0 to the Albion", "Albion Albion", "Marc Cucurella...", "From Withdean to Wembley", "he's gonna cry in a minute", "We are Brighton...", "Solly March", and the Gross Turn oohs and aahs made it up to the land of the flasks and blankets (if they weren't banned). Actually the ESU was the liveliest i've ever known it (i've only been there one season). People were actually standing up !!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

It's quite clear from those that the guys under the police box (NSK I think) put a lot of effort into the atmosphere and their songs. However, from where I am (slightly north of centre circle in WSU, towards the back) you could not hear the Caicedo song at all and a lot more probably gets lost. What's more there's another group under the big screen who constantly seem to sing a different song. Mostly you can't hear either from WSU but the actions, clapping etc are always different. So.....a few questions:

1) Are the NSK in the worst place possible? For me that police box roof is going to smother noise instantly.
2) Are the two groups deliberately competing with each other to the detriment of the team and the holistic Amex atmosphere?
3) And the big one - if the two groups could come together nearer to the middle of the stand would you be prepared to move to make that happen or is that the very essence of Palace-like tinpottery?

Yes, I know this has all been covered before but no one forced you to open and read the thread. I thought it might be interesting to get all the views on one thread.

We’re in WSL near the NW corner and it’s the same there. Police Box crew are great but we can barely hear the lot under the screen. Whether it’s deliberate or not I’m not so sure - I think it’s more that they can’t really hear each other until it’s too late. Ideally need a couple of blocks in the middle where they are all together (and the away fans a lot closer).

Can’t see anything happening though, ‘Bob from Pevensey’ would be emailing Barbs immediately if he was told he was being moved.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I had exactly the same thoughts.

As I don't have a ST anymore I've sat all across the North in the games I've been able to get to the last few seasons, and to me it almost seems intentional that the NSK have positioned themselves to create their own little atmosphere. I don't really get it - they make great noise and clearly love an atmosphere, and theyve created some great songs, but at the same time they don't seem at all interested in creating a great atmosphere across the North. Perhaps I'm wrong but to me they are part of the problem more than anything as often two different songs are bejng sung then neither carry. it always seems that way as an outsider near them anyway - esp when clearly another song is taking off but they keep singing what they are singing. All seems quite exclusive to me but perhaps I'm wrong and someone on here part of NSK can tell me otherwise!

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

You're old and you need a hearing aid :thumbsup:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A drum should coordinate matters.

_methode_times_prod_web_bin_6c86a974-caab-11e5-ae3d-e5a689a71f1c.jpg

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I had exactly the same thoughts.

As I don't have a ST anymore I've sat all across the North in the games I've been able to get to the last few seasons, and to me it almost seems intentional that the NSK have positioned themselves to create their own little atmosphere. I don't really get it - they make great noise and clearly love an atmosphere, and theyve created some great songs, but at the same time they don't seem at all interested in creating a great atmosphere across the North. Perhaps I'm wrong but to me they are part of the problem more than anything as often two different songs are bejng sung then neither carry. it always seems that way as an outsider near them anyway - esp when clearly another song is taking off but they keep singing what they are singing. All seems very inclusive to me but perhaps I'm wrong and someone on here part of NSK can tell me otherwise!

I think you have summed up the problem very well...

Singing/supporting/getting behind the team shouldn't come from one section of the crowd and to have a section (NSK) who appear to be responsible is just set for disaster...

I have long been anti an "singing section" as there is no way of controlling it and it's all quite frankly bollocks. Atmosphere is generated by the whole ground, not just a part of it! The sound is only noticeable in the section you are in, unless it is all round (Sheffield Wednesday play off second leg).

First and foremost you need to get the feedback from the pitch, the crowd will follow - always has, always will.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
The simple answer is yes, the reason is more complicated, anyone who had done the stadium tour or who has stayed late after the game knows the stadium acoustics were designed to amplify reflect the most noise from one stand . From the middle of that stand a mouse farting can be heard in every corner of the ground.
That the right place for the singing section is the middle of the WSU. Ain't going to happen because those seats were (rightfully)taken by Withdean season ticket holders and they are all getting older and quieter. Long gone the days when the packed concourse sang for an hour before ko and the WSU tried to rule Falmer with the cross stand chant..

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL

Used to sit in N1B, not part of the NSK - moved to near the big screen. You’re not able to pick up the chants from under the police box unless they spread along to N1D etc. explains the constant collision of chants. No Animosity in it…

There’s actually a third further group up in the North East corner, difficult to pick up their chants at times too

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Used to sit in N1B, not part of the NSK - moved to near the big screen. You’re not able to pick up the chants from under the police box unless they spread along to N1D etc. explains the constant collision of chants. No Animosity in it…

There’s actually a third further group up in the North East corner, difficult to pick up their chants at times too

That’s true. I’m in G block in the north, and cannot hear the NSK crew at all. Sound doesn’t travel very well across the stand.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, it looks like an organically grown piece of unfortunateness.

Presumably the 3 singing groups are 3 sets of loosely connected mates, so if they merge into one then it's their business, albeit the club could initiate it by writting to said folk (just writing that down shows me how tinpot and unworkable it is).

Meanwhile NSC is largely an elderly gentlemen's relish (with a few stalward gentlewomen, whose age we will not mention, among us). The sort of young blokes who initiate songs in the present era are unlikely to be NSC regulars. So they won't be reading any of this :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Obviously Saturday showed that we can create an atmosphere at the Amex BUT getting those 2 groups together in the centre of the North Stand really has to happen for the benefit of a better consistent noise. Surely the club can at least survey those in the North Stand a) whether they consider themselves to be part of a singing section i.e they are involved in starting chants and if so would they consider moving to seats closer to the centre or b) for those seated in the centre blocks whether they would be willing, for the sake of the atmosphere in the whole ground, to move to where the singers are now.
Asking the question can't hurt even if I suspect no one in those centre blocks will be willing to move (in which case bloody well sing up!!).
I wonder if there's anyone on here from the centre blocks who would tell us if they would be happy to move or not?

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
It's amazing how 3000 fans in the away end can all sing as one.
There was never a problem in the north when the Amex first opened.
I suppose the police box crew and bollox crew cannot co-ordinate a chant together when seperated by tourists.
Time to drop their egos and sing as one.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Obviously Saturday showed that we can create an atmosphere at the Amex BUT getting those 2 groups together in the centre of the North Stand really has to happen for the benefit of a better consistent noise. Surely the club can at least survey those in the North Stand a) whether they consider themselves to be part of a singing section i.e they are involved in starting chants and if so would they consider moving to seats closer to the centre or b) for those seated in the centre blocks whether they would be willing, for the sake of the atmosphere in the whole ground, to move to where the singers are now.
Asking the question can't hurt even if I suspect no one in those centre blocks will be willing to move (in which case bloody well sing up!!).
I wonder if there's anyone on here from the centre blocks who would tell us if they would be happy to move or not?

Yes, all those things. I salute your indefatigatibility.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Could dress them all in black school uniform so they know they're a gang then move everyone else and plonk them right in the middle but I suppose that's just ridiculous and taking the right piss out of those displaced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here