Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League Player and Manager of the season

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Apols if fixtures - but the nominees for both player and manager of the season have been announced by the Premier League:

Players

- Trent Alexander-Arnold
- Mo Salah
- Kevin De Bruyne
- Joao Cancelo
- Bukayo Saka
- Heung-min Son
- Jarrod Bowen
- James Ward-Prowse

Managers

- Pep Guardiola
- Jurgen Klopp
- Eddie Howe
- Thomas Frank
- Patrick Vieira

Slightly puzzled at how Vieira has snuck himself onto the manager shortlist ahead of Potter, but happy for us to continue to go under the radar! In terms of players, I'd have JWP nowhere near the list despite his obvious setpiece ability, replacing probably with Bernardo Silva who has been brilliant.

Over the whole season with the shortlist available, I think my votes would probably go to Joao Cancelo and Thomas Frank. What say you?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Apols if fixtures - but the nominees for both player and manager of the season have been announced by the Premier League:

Players

- Trent Alexander-Arnold
- Mo Salah
- Kevin De Bruyne
- Joao Cancelo
- Bukayo Saka
- Heung-min Son
- Jarrod Bowen
- James Ward-Prowse

Managers

- Pep Guardiola
- Jurgen Klopp
- Eddie Howe
- Thomas Frank
- Patrick Vieira

Slightly puzzled at how Vieira has snuck himself onto the manager shortlist ahead of Potter, but happy for us to continue to go under the radar! In terms of players, I'd have JWP nowhere near the list despite his obvious freekick ability, replacing probably with Bernardo Silva who has been brilliant.

Over the whole season with the shortlist available, I think my votes would probably go to Joao Cancelo and Thomas Frank. What say you?

Probably i'd say Son and Howe. It will be a City/Liverpool divvie up though

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thomas Frank by a country mile but only because he signed Erikson who has re-ignited their season when they looked to be heading for the relegation zone

A player from whomever wins the league, probably De Bruyne

Smug, no way, he had a decent squad and Newcastle spent over 90 million in January, he can feck right off as manager of half a season

SAC

May 21, 2014
Probably i'd say Son and Howe. It will be a City/Liverpool divvie up though

Same for me. Most people thought that Howe wouldn't be able to keep Newcastle up, despite the transfer kitty. Unfortuntely he's done an excellent job.

Manager of the season should be the manager who has exceeded expectations, Guardiola and Klopp have done exactly what most of us throught they would do.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Vieira is in a position of possibly matching or bettering Potter in his first season of changing Palace's style from Hodgson. I guess that's why he'd be ahead.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Vieira is in a position of possibly matching or bettering Potter in his first season of changing Palace's style from Hodgson. I guess that's why he'd be ahead.

I'd have no problem with Vieira getting it. Most thought Palace were a basket case pre season, he's done well (spit)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Kevin De Bruyne and Jurgen Klopp for me. Class act ginger Kev as always, and Klopp sort of wins it by default.

(reckon Eddie Howe is in for the chop this Summer - no poorly-judged pun intended, he just never looks the part to lead the brand, just looks like the eternal bumbling Bmuff manager)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd have no problem with Vieira getting it. Most thought Palace were a basket case pre season, he's done well (spit)

I agree

Howe shouldn't be on the list.

Quite glad none of ours are on it TBH, bubbling under like a new wave classic tune.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yeah, I hate to say it but I can understand why Viera is on the list. He took over a squad of aging players who had been absolutely dire the previous season or two. Really awful, dour, defensive football that was horrendous to watch. He released a load of players, bought in some young ones and has completely changed how they play. They have an almost identical record to us this season. One win less from one game played less. Same defensive record but a few more goals scored.

There's an argument about budget, Palace's is almost definitely bigger than ours but to do what he's done in one season is pretty impressive. I'm hoping he's a one season wonder and the defensive solidity they've shown is a hangover form Roy and the further we get from Roy's time the worse Palace's defense gets. And that once Gallagher leaves they'll be shit. But, for now, it's fair enough to have Vierra on the list. Sadly.

I don't think Howe deserves to be on there. He's only had half a season and brought in half a new team in January. Keeping Newcastle up isn't that big of an achievement - them Burnley, Watford and Norwich were all piss poor at the start of the season so they were only a couple of points away from safety when Howe took over. He has done pretty well to get as many points as they have but it's still just one burst of form, not a season long thing.

Guardiola has done par for the course so not sure he deserves it this year. Klopp should walk away with it if he wins the quadruple. Even if he wins all three cups and comes second in the league I think he's good value for it.

If not Klopp then Frank. He's kept Brentford comfortably above the danger zone all season. Excellent work.

Player? Cucurella!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Changed their playing style, but heavily dependent on Gallagher, and not as though they have achieved much other than a lower table team.

Personally, i don’t think he should be anywhere near winning. Frank, Moyes (not on the list), and Klopp would be above him as a minimum, even Wolves manager in his first season….

However, I would have thought Bielsa would be a shoe-in……

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
They've gone too early with nominations, Manager of the Season nailed on to be Frank Lampard's Everton's Frank Lampard for pulling off their miraculous escape after taking over when they were dead and buried.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I met an Argentinian this week and got talking at length about football. He's a River Plate fan and knows his stuff – very knowledgeable about the Premier League and the other big European leagues.

He said his favourite player in the world was Kevin de Bruyne and I found myself agreeing with most of what he said. That night KDB scored four and looked like he was capable of four more.

He is a special talent and I dont think there'll be many complaints, even from City's biggest rivals, if he gets the award.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Son should be out of the running for this alone. Pathetic cheating to55er.

[tweet] 1505609741841620996 [/tweet]

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Yeah, I hate to say it but I can understand why Viera is on the list. He took over a squad of aging players who had been absolutely dire the previous season or two. Really awful, dour, defensive football that was horrendous to watch. He released a load of players, bought in some young ones and has completely changed how they play. They have an almost identical record to us this season. One win less from one game played less. Same defensive record but a few more goals scored.

There's an argument about budget, Palace's is almost definitely bigger than ours but to do what he's done in one season is pretty impressive. I'm hoping he's a one season wonder and the defensive solidity they've shown is a hangover form Roy and the further we get from Roy's time the worse Palace's defense gets. And that once Gallagher leaves they'll be shit. But, for now, it's fair enough to have Vierra on the list. Sadly.

I don't think Howe deserves to be on there. He's only had half a season and brought in half a new team in January. Keeping Newcastle up isn't that big of an achievement - them Burnley, Watford and Norwich were all piss poor at the start of the season so they were only a couple of points away from safety when Howe took over. He has done pretty well to get as many points as they have but it's still just one burst of form, not a season long thing.

Guardiola has done par for the course so not sure he deserves it this year. Klopp should walk away with it if he wins the quadruple. Even if he wins all three cups and comes second in the league I think he's good value for it.

If not Klopp then Frank. He's kept Brentford comfortably above the danger zone all season. Excellent work.

Player? Cucurella!

Whilst I agree with this [spit], I would also say that the circumstances he inherited actually helped. It was the easiest thing in the world to have a clear-out of dead wood because the contracts were up - no need to find a buyer or pay them off. He had about as clean a slate to start with as you can get.

Hats off though - he's still done a great job and deserves his place on the shortlist.

Recency bias suggests De Bruyne is a shoo-in, though Salah has been more consistent. I'd say KdB by a nose (being on the probable winning team as the clincher).

Klopp for the manager gong for me. Arguably Frank just based on Brentford's current position, but Brentford's form prior to the coup of signing Eriksen was shite. Knowing a good player who is available due to very exceptional circumstances doesn't strike me as part of the criteria for the award...

Smug Eddie can get in the sea.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Bielsa :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here