Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] New Kits Thread - Season 22/23

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
That article you linked to actually confirms it has ended this year - lol

1st year of the three year extension was 19/20 then 20/21 and year 3 was 21/22 so has just ended

82878074f01eb7f67c0274d4e0bcea13.jpg

Two years left of the contract

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Don't know where you heard that. We've got Nike template kits for another 2 seasons

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1273226/albion-extend-nike-deal

This article is from 2019. I could be wrong, but my hunch is as follows:

The current deal is up in 2022 (this year) as per the article
Why are we trading in Nike kits - normally Nike wouldn’t let that happen. Unless we are changing suppliers
There is no Nike swoosh on the voucher being handed out in the swap. Normally there would be.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

Why are we trading in Nike kits - normally Nike wouldn’t let that happen. Unless we are changing suppliers
There is no Nike swoosh on the voucher being handed out in the swap. Normally there would be.

Going to put my tin foil hat on in support of this idea. This promotion is to give our old shirts to a charity - why do a trade-in like this instead of just gifting 250 brand new shirts to the charity? Or asking fans to donate their old / too small shirts for free? Over the course of a season I reckon they'd get more than 250. Then the cost to the club is greater doing the vouchers etc than just gifting new shirts would be, so if the club/Amex wanted to give 250 shirts away to charity they've gone the more costly way about doing it.

So what's the benefit to them? It's not really fan engagement because of the aforementioned not-particularly-easy-for-many-fans to make the most of the offer arrangement.

Well, I'm glad you asked. 250 new HIGHLY sexy (I'm talking probably illegal to be shown on TV in some Premier League licence holding countries) and totally iconic Adidas shirts in the stands, in the concourses for the first day of the season, stretched slightly too tightly over our beer guts in a way that says "YES. I EAT THE GUEST PIE AND THE STEAK AND ALE PIE".

FOMO will be off the charts - the hyper turq was a relative slow burner between release and sold out for 7 months - this way the whole stadium will follow the ESU role-modelling and be out of the stands by the 79th minute just to join the queue for the shop.

The only question is going to be whether you go for the short sleeve or long sleeve. By Amex gifting this many to fans you'll get to see both styles in the wild, clapping slightly out of time to GOSBTS before you decide. It's genius, next level marketing.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Going to put my tin foil hat on in support of this idea. This promotion is to give our old shirts to a charity - why do a trade-in like this instead of just gifting 250 brand new shirts to the charity? Or asking fans to donate their old / too small shirts for free? Over the course of a season I reckon they'd get more than 250. Then the cost to the club is greater doing the vouchers etc than just gifting new shirts would be, so if the club/Amex wanted to give 250 shirts away to charity they've gone the more costly way about doing it.

So what's the benefit to them? It's not really fan engagement because of the aforementioned not-particularly-easy-for-many-fans to make the most of the offer arrangement.

Well, I'm glad you asked. 250 new HIGHLY sexy (I'm talking probably illegal to be shown on TV in some Premier League licence holding countries) and totally iconic Adidas shirts in the stands, in the concourses for the first day of the season, stretched slightly too tightly over our beer guts in a way that says "YES. I EAT THE GUEST PIE AND THE STEAK AND ALE PIE".

FOMO will be off the charts - the hyper turq was a relative slow burner between release and sold out for 7 months - this way the whole stadium will follow the ESU role-modelling and be out of the stands by the 79th minute just to join the queue for the shop.

The only question is going to be whether you go for the short sleeve or long sleeve. By Amex gifting this many to fans you'll get to see both styles in the wild, clapping slightly out of time to GOSBTS before you decide. It's genius, next level marketing.

Welcome to the club fellow conspiracy theorist.

I’d also like to add that for the last couple of seasons we have work ‘next’ seasons kit on the final day of the season.

We didn’t this year.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

I’d also like to add that for the last couple of seasons we have work ‘next’ seasons kit on the final day of the season.

We didn’t this year.

Good point. I reckon it's also why Welbeck and Gross are holding out before signing new deals. As this might be the final club for both of them they want to make sure it's a good kit first.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia

We didn’t this year.

I would absolutely love this to be true and we bin off Nike. However, I'd also love that black concept kit to be true as it might be the first kit I buy in 20+ years.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012

Cool theory .... However, the kit swap thing is sponsored by American Express so I'd assume they'd be funding this exercise. Its got nothing to do with Nike so why include their logo?

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012

Not strictly true. Google tells me that last year it was revealed on the last day of the season. The 20/21 kit was revealed late July, and before that the 19/20 kit was revealed in late May.

Also, I'm pretty sure I read that Hyperturq was going to be this seasons third kit. There's no way they'd mix brands on a seasons kits, its one brand for all of them.

Jul 7, 2003
Also, I'm pretty sure I read that Hyperturq was going to be this seasons third kit. There's no way they'd mix brands on a seasons kits, its one brand for all of them.

Nothing to stop another manufacturer using the colour and making their own version for us.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Not strictly true. Google tells me that last year it was revealed on the last day of the season. The 20/21 kit was revealed late July, and before that the 19/20 kit was revealed in late May.

Yes the 20/21 kit was revealed in late July, but that happened to be the last day of the 19-20 season due to the delay caused by lockdown. We wore it away to Burnley as you can see in the BBC report - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53460585

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Cool theory .... However, the kit swap thing is sponsored by American Express so I'd assume they'd be funding this exercise. Its got nothing to do with Nike so why include their logo?

I didn't mention their logo :p

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Nothing to stop another manufacturer using the colour and making their own version for us.

This feels like a convenient moment to point out that Leicester's poor imitation hyper turq away kit was made by Adidas. I think the club might as well announce a new official partnership with Adidas now. It's totes obvs.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would absolutely love this to be true and we bin off Nike. However, I'd also love that black concept kit to be true as it might be the first kit I buy in 20+ years.

The bit I've bolded at the end of your post, is why nobody at the club will give a toss what you think about the kit manufacturer.

The recent Nike kits have sold in record quantities - that to anyone making the decisions is the ONLY important measure of how 'nice' they are. People on the internet saying they do or don't like them is irrelevant. People actually liking them enough to hand over £45.00 is what matters.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

You can trade in errea kits as well, it’s not specific to the Nike shirts.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

This years kit was revealed in our 3-2 win vs. Man. City

The blue kit in our win against Burnley in lockdown.

I can't remember the other kit but did we wear a new kit when Man City won the league 1-4?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here