Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Civil Service jobs

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
If we can manage with 91,000 fewer civil service it begs the question as to why they were employed in the first place?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's nothing to do with what our country needs and everything to do with what Boris needs. Boris is waving it through because he's in hock to the lunatic right of his party. The is pure small stateism.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
When any organisation has to make 91,000 redundancies, it’s in deep trouble.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Its almost as if there is an election in the air. This sort of thing always goes down well with the Daily Mail. It’s almost a battle cry of cutting red tape etc. They are all in favour of less civil servants until they can’t get their passport renewed in time for the skiing holiday. Some things never change.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
Rees Mogg as just been made head of a Government Department which has never existed before. It seems to have been created just to give him a grand sounding Department, which will require hordes of Civil Servants to fill newly created jobs. Rather a strange way to make Civil Service savings.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Its almost as if there is an election in the air. This sort of thing always goes down well with the Daily Mail. It’s almost a battle cry of cutting red tape etc. They are all in favour of less civil servants until they can’t get their passport renewed in time for the skiing holiday. Some things never change.

As with most things there are two sides …..we have a government keen to raise some dough and also seen to be in charge (make a change)…then you have a CS union fighting for the right for their members to be able to work from abroad (very nice for some) …Their does seem a lot of problems with issuing passports in a reasonable time (according to some articles I’ve read) …no doubt fault on both sides ..but not the person who wants the passport

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
returns civil service to levels of 2016. how many of these are temporary, short term contracts (staff increased for covid, brexit changes) wont be highlighted, so we get a big savings story without much real detail.
its a headline for certain group of voters, once the departments come back and say no, any final cuts will be far, far less, and cover open vacancies, natural wastage etc.

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Attachments

• Dave.jpg
    Dave.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 271

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If we can manage with 91,000 fewer civil service it begs the question as to why they were employed in the first place?

I see you're fishing as usual, because the obvious answer is we can't manage with what we have today. Passport office has the biggest backlog in years and a government that were supposed to be fixing immigration and asylum are totally useless at it and appear to need to be bailed out by a Third World country.

Rees-Mogg was pushing this as cost saving on Today this morning. Well, the only way you're going to do more with less is to improve your processes and technology. Hands up who thinks he's factored in the the costs of software licences and consultancy in to these "savings" (though to be fair, with this load of charlatans there'll probably be a shit ton of baksheesh passed from pals of the party to ensure the contracts are given to the "right" people).

Absolute shower.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Civil servants aren't just grey Westminster bureaucrats.

No doubt we'll all be happy when essential services are impacted by the cuts and really great timing to be sacking close to 100,000 people.

Boris ordering this bonfire seems to just be him copying American politics again.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Who says we can 'manage' with 91,000 fewer?

In my small organisation we cut staff two years ago because of government funding cuts. The cracks started showing relatively early. Only yesterday I had a member of the public on the phone astonished when I told them that the issue they were interested in would not be resolved for about five years because it's in a big pile of similar issues that we no longer have time to get around to and deal with and have been 'deprioritised' as we can now only do the urgent and statutory work. They are going to contact their (Tory) MP, who will write us a stiff letter - which I will then have to waste time replying to, and pointing out that we have had to cut staff (but won't be allowed to say 'because of your policies').

Eventually, in around five years' time, the issue will finally be addressed with enhanced funding and staff. Which if we hadn't lost in the first place......

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Rees-Mogg was pushing this as cost saving on Today this morning. Well, the only way you're going to do more with less is to improve your processes and technology. Hands up who thinks he's factored in the the costs of software licences and consultancy in to these "savings" (though to be fair, with this load of charlatans there'll probably be a shit ton of baksheesh passed from pals of the party to ensure the contracts are given to the "right" people).

So will these people be sacked before the new technology is implemented, or after? Because we all know how well Government IT projects go. :facepalm:

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
1. P&O ferries sack 800 workers - Government goes ballistic at them
2. Rees-Mogg gets put in charge of 'civil service efficiencies' - announces plan to reduce staff by 91,000 workers. Right wing press applauds (at the same time as moaning that passports, driving licences etc take too long)

:shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m guessing the reality of this will be cuts to police, refuse collection, and other essential services. While the Minister for Random Silly Ideas, the Secretary for Shouting at Foreigners and The Deputy Minister for the Office of Incredibly Urgent Matters will all probably receive a pay rise, a bonus and a new duck house.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
As with most things there are two sides …..we have a government keen to raise some dough and also seen to be in charge (make a change)…then you have a CS union fighting for the right for their members to be able to work from abroad (very nice for some) …Their does seem a lot of problems with issuing passports in a reasonable time (according to some articles I’ve read) …no doubt fault on both sides ..but not the person who wants the passport

I hear what you are saying but it still sounds like bullshit to me. It’s dog whistle politics and will probably work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here